GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Street Fighter IV Review"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Street Fighter IV'.
Tue 02/06/09 at 10:36
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Firstly lets just get one thing straight, this is Street Fighter. It'll never claim to be the most amazing advancement in the beat em up genre or have the most engrosing storyline. It is what it is, the re-invention of an Arcade classic that changed the history of home gaming and had a lot to so with the life of the console you're playing it on now.

The graphics in this new version are pretty much spot on, exactly what you'd want and true to the Street Fighter roots, fluid motion and enjoyable backgrounds.

The controls can take some time to master (which I haven't yet) but once you've got the bread and butter moves sorted you can quite happily jump in for some 1 on 1 battles with your mates. You'll get out what you put in as far as learning the moves, the more you play the more you'll understand the various combos, supers, ultras etc and how to avoid them.

The pad works fine there's no real issues pulling the moves off once you know them, although the LB and RB buttons can become a tad fiddly.

As far as the Arcade mode is concerned be prepared to break your pad. As has previously been mentioned the difficulty levels are, to say the least wrongly titled. There are a number Easiest, Easier, Easy, Medium and Hard (I believe) I'd look at them as:

Easiest = First Timer,
Easier = Played a litte I know some moves,
Easy = I'm ready for a challenge,
Medium = I've got a spare pad, so I don't mind throwing this one at the wall
Hard = Its never gonna happen unless I live, sleep and breath this game and the people around don't mind me swearing and shouting lots.

Challenge modes and training modes are a welcome addition to the options, both of which will help you progress your skills.

The online play is a tad disapointing, no lobby systems other than one on one and even then you end up back out searching for a game after every match. Would have been nice to be able to set up a winner stay on friend lobby (in a pass the pad kinda way), it can take a little while to get into a game too.

The main thing about street fighter is its actually quite a tactical game and some of the matches really hit a nerve (good and bad) you'll laugh, you'll shout, you'll swear, you may even throw your pad against the wall...but when you turn it off you just want to come back for more.

Overall I really rate this game, there's nothing wrong with returning to classic and making it play and look like it always should have....after all how many re-mastered DVD's or Bluerays have you bought of old Movies?

If you're after cutting edge, look elsewhere...you won't find it here.
Tue 02/06/09 at 17:03
Regular
Gotta love Amazon.

hey Jubba, hope all is well.
Tue 02/06/09 at 10:36
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
Firstly lets just get one thing straight, this is Street Fighter. It'll never claim to be the most amazing advancement in the beat em up genre or have the most engrosing storyline. It is what it is, the re-invention of an Arcade classic that changed the history of home gaming and had a lot to so with the life of the console you're playing it on now.

The graphics in this new version are pretty much spot on, exactly what you'd want and true to the Street Fighter roots, fluid motion and enjoyable backgrounds.

The controls can take some time to master (which I haven't yet) but once you've got the bread and butter moves sorted you can quite happily jump in for some 1 on 1 battles with your mates. You'll get out what you put in as far as learning the moves, the more you play the more you'll understand the various combos, supers, ultras etc and how to avoid them.

The pad works fine there's no real issues pulling the moves off once you know them, although the LB and RB buttons can become a tad fiddly.

As far as the Arcade mode is concerned be prepared to break your pad. As has previously been mentioned the difficulty levels are, to say the least wrongly titled. There are a number Easiest, Easier, Easy, Medium and Hard (I believe) I'd look at them as:

Easiest = First Timer,
Easier = Played a litte I know some moves,
Easy = I'm ready for a challenge,
Medium = I've got a spare pad, so I don't mind throwing this one at the wall
Hard = Its never gonna happen unless I live, sleep and breath this game and the people around don't mind me swearing and shouting lots.

Challenge modes and training modes are a welcome addition to the options, both of which will help you progress your skills.

The online play is a tad disapointing, no lobby systems other than one on one and even then you end up back out searching for a game after every match. Would have been nice to be able to set up a winner stay on friend lobby (in a pass the pad kinda way), it can take a little while to get into a game too.

The main thing about street fighter is its actually quite a tactical game and some of the matches really hit a nerve (good and bad) you'll laugh, you'll shout, you'll swear, you may even throw your pad against the wall...but when you turn it off you just want to come back for more.

Overall I really rate this game, there's nothing wrong with returning to classic and making it play and look like it always should have....after all how many re-mastered DVD's or Bluerays have you bought of old Movies?

If you're after cutting edge, look elsewhere...you won't find it here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.