GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PiCOPiCT"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Art Style: PiCTOBiTS'.
Mon 01/06/09 at 23:43
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
When it came down to deciding between a DS Lite and the new model DSi, I took the risk and paid the extra cash for the later hoping that in time the new features would make it worthwhile. Sure the camera is a neat little distraction and the smaller unit and music editor is cool too, but the main draw for me was the idea of downloadable content off the internet via DSiWare. Sadly though it seems this has disappointed more than pleased... that is until I got my hands on PiCOPiCT.

The idea of PiCOPiCT is definitely a fresh one. Shapes (not too unlike Tetris) drop down the lower screen in differing colours. Scattered throughout the very bottom of the screen are random colour single blocks. You can select up to eight at once and then it’s simply a case of placing them with the falling blocks to form four of the same colour in a box or in line. If you’re feeling further confident you can also make bigger shapes for a bigger bonus. If the falling blocks are getting too much then hit the “POW” block to eliminate some of them at the cost of a block storage space. As you form finished shapes with the blocks, these then turn into pixels creating a retro image on the top screen. You need enough of each colour so if you have all the white squares then it’s best to move your focus onto another colour. Complete the image and you complete the stage. It’s that simple! Well you gain a better understanding if you play it yourself.

Lightning quick reflexes and good decision making is needed in order for success in this game and rest assured you will be repeating levels again and again just to get halfway to completing a level. It really does get that tough later on. If blocks are piling up do you risk it and keep going or hit the “POW” block eliminating one of your storage spaces but in return giving you some breathing space? There are also high scores to aim for and if you’re up for the task, gold stars rewarded for those of you that finish a level without touching the “POW” block. Not an easy task as you can imagine.

The game is simple in design and presentation. Pixels litter the menu with only four options to select. The first takes you to the main game where you can tackle increasingly difficult stages one by one. The next is the music player where you can buy and listen to the games many retro melodies. The third lets you choose if you’re left or right handed and the final one is a simple tutorial to help ease you into the gameplay. It’s simple and for the amount you pay it is certainly enough.

A special mention has to go to the background music which starts extremely basic and then pieces together as you piece together the actual sprite on the top screen. Hearing the Mario Bros. theme gradually build up is always fun and gives a nice indication of how close you are to completing another tough stage.

Fans of Nintendo are going to love this thanks to a whole load of references to retro Nintendo games. These include unlockable music that can be purchased from the main menu via coins you earn from continuous play and the actual puzzles themselves which in the end form sprites of Mario, Excitebikes and more. It’s always an incentive to complete more and more puzzles, just to see who is going to appear next.

There are a good amount of puzzles to go through and while the game starts easy during the opening handful of stages, rest assured it definitely gets challenging as you progress. What’s more for those of you feeling extra confident after tackling the main selection of stages, you can then unlock harder, modified versions which will test your skills to new entirely new levels. There is definitely no shortage of things to do here, and when you remember this only cost 500 points it’s even more impressive.

PiCOPiCT is a great indication of just what DSiWare is capable of. Fun experiences that aren’t expensive and offer something unique. I can’t stress enough just how addictive this game is and at a mere 500 points it should be saved firmly in everyone’s DSi.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 01/06/09 at 23:43
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
When it came down to deciding between a DS Lite and the new model DSi, I took the risk and paid the extra cash for the later hoping that in time the new features would make it worthwhile. Sure the camera is a neat little distraction and the smaller unit and music editor is cool too, but the main draw for me was the idea of downloadable content off the internet via DSiWare. Sadly though it seems this has disappointed more than pleased... that is until I got my hands on PiCOPiCT.

The idea of PiCOPiCT is definitely a fresh one. Shapes (not too unlike Tetris) drop down the lower screen in differing colours. Scattered throughout the very bottom of the screen are random colour single blocks. You can select up to eight at once and then it’s simply a case of placing them with the falling blocks to form four of the same colour in a box or in line. If you’re feeling further confident you can also make bigger shapes for a bigger bonus. If the falling blocks are getting too much then hit the “POW” block to eliminate some of them at the cost of a block storage space. As you form finished shapes with the blocks, these then turn into pixels creating a retro image on the top screen. You need enough of each colour so if you have all the white squares then it’s best to move your focus onto another colour. Complete the image and you complete the stage. It’s that simple! Well you gain a better understanding if you play it yourself.

Lightning quick reflexes and good decision making is needed in order for success in this game and rest assured you will be repeating levels again and again just to get halfway to completing a level. It really does get that tough later on. If blocks are piling up do you risk it and keep going or hit the “POW” block eliminating one of your storage spaces but in return giving you some breathing space? There are also high scores to aim for and if you’re up for the task, gold stars rewarded for those of you that finish a level without touching the “POW” block. Not an easy task as you can imagine.

The game is simple in design and presentation. Pixels litter the menu with only four options to select. The first takes you to the main game where you can tackle increasingly difficult stages one by one. The next is the music player where you can buy and listen to the games many retro melodies. The third lets you choose if you’re left or right handed and the final one is a simple tutorial to help ease you into the gameplay. It’s simple and for the amount you pay it is certainly enough.

A special mention has to go to the background music which starts extremely basic and then pieces together as you piece together the actual sprite on the top screen. Hearing the Mario Bros. theme gradually build up is always fun and gives a nice indication of how close you are to completing another tough stage.

Fans of Nintendo are going to love this thanks to a whole load of references to retro Nintendo games. These include unlockable music that can be purchased from the main menu via coins you earn from continuous play and the actual puzzles themselves which in the end form sprites of Mario, Excitebikes and more. It’s always an incentive to complete more and more puzzles, just to see who is going to appear next.

There are a good amount of puzzles to go through and while the game starts easy during the opening handful of stages, rest assured it definitely gets challenging as you progress. What’s more for those of you feeling extra confident after tackling the main selection of stages, you can then unlock harder, modified versions which will test your skills to new entirely new levels. There is definitely no shortage of things to do here, and when you remember this only cost 500 points it’s even more impressive.

PiCOPiCT is a great indication of just what DSiWare is capable of. Fun experiences that aren’t expensive and offer something unique. I can’t stress enough just how addictive this game is and at a mere 500 points it should be saved firmly in everyone’s DSi.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.