GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"come back Sega"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/07/05 at 16:10
Regular
"guns n roses rock"
I was going through some of my old stuff (my place is a tip and well it had to be cleaned up some time) when I came across my Sega mega drive. Memories of countless hours spent on sonic and streets of rage came flooding back. I would like to think that I am quite the gamer; I own quite a few consoles. One by one I found my N 64, my play station. Then I came across an object I hadn’t seen or thought about for a long time. It was my Sega dream cast. I was bored from all the cleaning so I decided to give the old machine a go. Playing the dream cast brought back all my long lost passion for Sega consoles and games. When every kid grows up, they usually develop a bond with a certain brand of console whether it is a Sony play station, Nintendo 64 etc. For me it was Sega. While other kids would be controlling Mario or shooting enemies with Lara croft I was much happier speeding around with sonic and tails.

I stopped playing my dream cast and took a glance at my shelf where I keep all my new consoles. There was my game cube and ps2 but there was no new and improved Sega console. Sega for me was the champion when it came to the console wars. But when they decided to stop making anymore consoles I was shocked.

Now days there are 3 main console giants the game cube, x box, ps2. All with excellent graphics and sounds and each one brings something new to the gaming table. But what if Sega had stayed in the game, who knows maybe right now we could have been playing a console ahead of its time.

Despite the fact they continue to make games I believe that since they are no longer in the console war they haven’t got that urge, passion, competitive spirit they had before which made them work harder and be more creative to come up with such classic games.

ty for your time
Mon 04/07/05 at 16:10
Regular
"guns n roses rock"
I was going through some of my old stuff (my place is a tip and well it had to be cleaned up some time) when I came across my Sega mega drive. Memories of countless hours spent on sonic and streets of rage came flooding back. I would like to think that I am quite the gamer; I own quite a few consoles. One by one I found my N 64, my play station. Then I came across an object I hadn’t seen or thought about for a long time. It was my Sega dream cast. I was bored from all the cleaning so I decided to give the old machine a go. Playing the dream cast brought back all my long lost passion for Sega consoles and games. When every kid grows up, they usually develop a bond with a certain brand of console whether it is a Sony play station, Nintendo 64 etc. For me it was Sega. While other kids would be controlling Mario or shooting enemies with Lara croft I was much happier speeding around with sonic and tails.

I stopped playing my dream cast and took a glance at my shelf where I keep all my new consoles. There was my game cube and ps2 but there was no new and improved Sega console. Sega for me was the champion when it came to the console wars. But when they decided to stop making anymore consoles I was shocked.

Now days there are 3 main console giants the game cube, x box, ps2. All with excellent graphics and sounds and each one brings something new to the gaming table. But what if Sega had stayed in the game, who knows maybe right now we could have been playing a console ahead of its time.

Despite the fact they continue to make games I believe that since they are no longer in the console war they haven’t got that urge, passion, competitive spirit they had before which made them work harder and be more creative to come up with such classic games.

ty for your time
Mon 04/07/05 at 16:13
Regular
Nope...SEGA went bankrupt so no, they weren't successfull.
Mon 04/07/05 at 16:33
Regular
"guns n roses rock"
True they did go bankrupt but i still believe that there decline in quality games when compared to the ones we recieved from the old sega consoles are due to the exit from the console market and they were successful in the sense that they brought us the wonder which is sonic.
Mon 04/07/05 at 16:40
Regular
"8==="
Sega were a little too reliant on arcade-style games. When titles such as Final Fantasy and complex racers were selling large amounts Sega was still banging out games that would be suitable to spend £2 on in an arcade but not £40 as a console title.

Of course there were things such as Shenmue, but a lot of Sega's games seemed to fall short just as they were getting good (Phantasy Star online for instance was a great idea but ultimately became a glorified chatroom as there was little variation and there just wasn't enough to do).

Thankfully a bit of shallow multiplayer in the right genres (not RPG dammit!) is perfect for 8-16 players online and it's no wonder Sega have done so well with many of their online titles.
Mon 04/07/05 at 20:27
Regular
"guns n roses rock"
wasnt Shenmue one of the most expensive games ever made?
Mon 04/07/05 at 22:58
Regular
Lipe wrote:
> Nope...SEGA went bankrupt so no, they weren't successfull.

night train wrote:
> True they did go bankrupt

Funny, I don't remember that...
Mon 04/07/05 at 22:59
Regular
"8==="
Hmmmm.

They got into financial trouble anyway.
Mon 04/07/05 at 23:52
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> Lipe wrote:
> Nope...SEGA went bankrupt so no, they weren't successfull.
>
> night train wrote:
> True they did go bankrupt
>
> Funny, I don't remember that...

Well they weren't making enough money to risk making another console. Is that better?
Tue 05/07/05 at 14:58
Regular
"Divine Davine"
No, they did not go bankrupt, they had to stop the production of the Dreamcast otherwise they would go bankrupt.

The things they did to advertise the damn console were ridiculous. Remember the 'SEGA' logo on the Arsenal shirt? Yup, they sponsered 50 million pounds for that, and it didn't help at all - people probably thought the Dreamcast was another brand of beer.

The launches? Well, the Australian launch was a disaster - there were plenty Dreamcasts, but there were no games and peripherials, so that was lame. Europe and Japan were delayed, the Online service didn't work properly - only US owners mangaed to get everything perfectly.

The adverts were also awful. Remember the one in the Barbers? Absolutely terrible - it didn't give any in game footage of anything, and SEGA just expected that everyone knew what a Dreamcast was. I certainly did. None of the mainstream lot did.

But at the the end of the day, we all played fantastic games. Soul Calibur, Skies Of Arcadia, Samba De Amigo, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer - the list is endless. I've always wondered how SEGA would turn out if the Dreamcast was a Mega Drive-like success...

And by the way, Shenmue was very expensive, and made no profit, due to no one buying a Dreamcast.
Tue 05/07/05 at 15:03
Regular
"8==="
I remember when they bought out entire ad breaks to advertise the Saturn with a stupid talking skull.

Idiots.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.