GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Leeds United - Going Down!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/08/03 at 12:34
Regular
Last season, West Ham were everyone's favourites for the drop-down to Division 1, as they struggled to win even a handful of games before the dreaded date of December 25th, rooted to the bottom of the league.

Prior to the season's big kick-off with their game away to Man United, West Brom were everyone's instant favourites for the drop as they entered Premiership football for the very-first time - and then left it again, after putting up a fair-fight for survival.

If you're gonna look towards this coming-season's candidates for the drop, Portsmouth and Wolves are instantly gonna be the first names on your list. But, after some of the 'impressive' transfers Harry Redknapp and Wolves appear to have made, they do appear to have a decent-chance, at such an early stage...

On the top of my list, however, you'll find Leeds United, who, to be fair, appear to just keep on sinking, lower-and-lower, in their 'Life-after-O'Leary'.

So-many pre-season games played, and not a single win within even one of them! Burnley, Bristol City (then again, they're not so-bad! ;D ), a few others and now even Shelbourne - an IRISH side - and I can't see it getting any better for them come Saturday afternoon in a game with Sir Bobby Robson's 'uprising' Newcastle United.

Losing Jonothan Woodgate, Lee Bowyer, Robbie Fowler, Robbie Keane, Harry Kewell... - and the list goes on! - can't have helped their downward-slide, especially now that Mark Viduka could be next on the leavers' list.
And as for replacements... Well, there's hardly much for any Leeds fan to smile-about (...not that Northerners do that kind of thing, anyway!), with nothing but the free-transfer of a second-string Chelsea player (Jody Morris), and loan-signings of Frenchman who haven't really "shone" in the European game for some-time.

Didier Domi certainly had his moments during his time at St. James Park, but do Patrice Sakho and some-bloke-called-"Camara" really make up for the loss of some of England and Australia's finest young talents?!?

Peter Reid's best-bet for survival is to breed new, young-players into the first-team - which made O'Leary an instant-hit all those years ago.
Simon Johnson and Indian Harpal Singh are obvious choices, but monkey-eared "Reidy" still needs to find some more, somewhere.

Jody Morris may not be all-that-bad, but when you 'only' sign new players on-loan, you never quite have full-control of him, with PSG or Marseille still holding his registration and the right to suddenly call-them-back, whenever they feel like, cup-tie him up, and whatever, really!

Youth is the key, here, now the club appears to have no money.
But a team of youngsters and "odd" loan-signings will need time to gel...
Will Peter Reid have enough before his side find themselves down in the Football League, where they so-nearly were, last season??
Wed 13/08/03 at 12:34
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Last season, West Ham were everyone's favourites for the drop-down to Division 1, as they struggled to win even a handful of games before the dreaded date of December 25th, rooted to the bottom of the league.

Prior to the season's big kick-off with their game away to Man United, West Brom were everyone's instant favourites for the drop as they entered Premiership football for the very-first time - and then left it again, after putting up a fair-fight for survival.

If you're gonna look towards this coming-season's candidates for the drop, Portsmouth and Wolves are instantly gonna be the first names on your list. But, after some of the 'impressive' transfers Harry Redknapp and Wolves appear to have made, they do appear to have a decent-chance, at such an early stage...

On the top of my list, however, you'll find Leeds United, who, to be fair, appear to just keep on sinking, lower-and-lower, in their 'Life-after-O'Leary'.

So-many pre-season games played, and not a single win within even one of them! Burnley, Bristol City (then again, they're not so-bad! ;D ), a few others and now even Shelbourne - an IRISH side - and I can't see it getting any better for them come Saturday afternoon in a game with Sir Bobby Robson's 'uprising' Newcastle United.

Losing Jonothan Woodgate, Lee Bowyer, Robbie Fowler, Robbie Keane, Harry Kewell... - and the list goes on! - can't have helped their downward-slide, especially now that Mark Viduka could be next on the leavers' list.
And as for replacements... Well, there's hardly much for any Leeds fan to smile-about (...not that Northerners do that kind of thing, anyway!), with nothing but the free-transfer of a second-string Chelsea player (Jody Morris), and loan-signings of Frenchman who haven't really "shone" in the European game for some-time.

Didier Domi certainly had his moments during his time at St. James Park, but do Patrice Sakho and some-bloke-called-"Camara" really make up for the loss of some of England and Australia's finest young talents?!?

Peter Reid's best-bet for survival is to breed new, young-players into the first-team - which made O'Leary an instant-hit all those years ago.
Simon Johnson and Indian Harpal Singh are obvious choices, but monkey-eared "Reidy" still needs to find some more, somewhere.

Jody Morris may not be all-that-bad, but when you 'only' sign new players on-loan, you never quite have full-control of him, with PSG or Marseille still holding his registration and the right to suddenly call-them-back, whenever they feel like, cup-tie him up, and whatever, really!

Youth is the key, here, now the club appears to have no money.
But a team of youngsters and "odd" loan-signings will need time to gel...
Will Peter Reid have enough before his side find themselves down in the Football League, where they so-nearly were, last season??
Wed 13/08/03 at 12:50
"Darth Vader 3442321"
Leed's defence could also be one of the slowest in the premiership. Mills, Matteo and Harte are not reknowned for their pace. They'll struggle against teams like Arsenal and Man city...

and all the other teams too.

Their only decent players appear to be Robinson, Mills and Smith, assuming that Viduka is going to sulk until he's transfered. Milner looks promising but a season in which your team is struggling doesn't help the confidence level too much.

Risdale must regret forcing O'Leary out, who in turn must be p*ssing himself about his old team's demise. I expect Villa to finish top eight this season too (Alpay and Angel are back in the team and want to play). That will really rub it in.
Wed 13/08/03 at 17:00
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
If Reid can keep the team together, Leeds United can stay up. But with the financial worries, it'll be hard.
Wed 13/08/03 at 18:59
Regular
"Baros!!!"
They put up a decent performance against Villa, drawing 2-2 and then losing on Penalties.

Sometimes I think Leeds will go down, but I just can't see it happening.

Leeds will struggle this season, but so will teams like Leicester, Charlton, Bolton, Fulham etc.

I'll be very surprised to see them go down, the same as I were to see West Ham.

It will all go down on how good/bad start they have, and if they are bottom christmas day then it's goodbye.
Wed 13/08/03 at 19:06
Regular
Nah, Leeds wont go down they will strugle again like last season but i think they will survive the drop.
Thu 14/08/03 at 14:57
Regular
"thegodfather"
Bottom half of the league definately,should be good enough to stay up though.
Sun 17/08/03 at 10:28
Regular
"An Evil Resident"
My own personal favourites for the drop are...

Wolves
Fulham
Leicester

Leeds may achieve 13th or similar, as things stand thats about the best they can hope to achieve, i highly doubt that they will get relegated tho.

The surprise team to fall into the drop zone and remain there could well be Aston Villa, they narrowly escaped last season and have only bought in 2 players of medicore ability, at the absolute best Villa are looking at 17th place, but i would not be remotely surprised to see Villa relegated.

I think Portsmouth will survive largely due to their home form... i seriously doubt that they are good enough to win more than 2 or 3 away games in the premiership this season but their home fans should be enough to help them gain sufficient points to ensure safety... prediction... 16th place.

Bolton will be safe too... around 15th place is the best they can get tho, Okocha is pure class and if he stays fit Bolton will be fine.

Charlton are the dark horses really... they could either finish plum bottom or finish 7th... they are that sort of team, i see them achieving around 14th place tho.

Of the 20 teams i think beyond any doubt Wolves are the weakest team in this seasons premiership.

As for my Birmingham... prediction... 11th place, too good for a relegation scrap, not quite good enough for Europe (similar to Middlesboro in many respects) next season is when Birmingham will be expected to make giant leaps... were not short of money and the BIG names are not scared to join us either, Steve Bruce is a top manager, great boardroom backing, full houses every single home game, a superb core of a team... the future is very bright at St Andrews.
Sun 17/08/03 at 12:19
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I think Bolton will struggle, because their squad is scrappily composed of past-it veterans, idiots, kids, Jay Jay Okocha and Jussi Jaskellainneiannan. You can't play well with such a poorly composed squad. Their only reason for their survival last term was some good form near the end of the season: They were inconsistent otherwise.
Sun 17/08/03 at 14:12
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
If Smith does go then i think that's Leeds going down because that'll probably spark Viduka into life to get his transfer away from Elland Road even quicker and that will leave Leeds with almost zero firepower. If you can't score goals you can't win matches.

Even with Smith and Viduka i still think they'll be hovering dangerously around the bottom 3 anyway
Sun 17/08/03 at 14:42
Regular
"Better Than You"
Well there doing ok at the moment against Newcastle its 1-1 Shearer penalty and Viduka.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.