GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is to blame for our flagging record industry?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/08/03 at 15:29
Regular
The internet? Illegal copying? Lack of talent? Overpriced music?

It seems like the bubble has finally burst for the pop acts that have been invading the music charts for some time now. Groups that are formed for rather shady money-making reasons are finding it difficult to survive because the kids that used to buy the CDs have either grown out of it or download the songs for free. Well, that's how I see it anyway. The charts we have nowadays are for kids, and without them some major record labels will have to turn to other ventures to build up their revenue. Like angst-rock. Noticed that this has become more popular amongst the teens lately? Bands like Evenessence and whingy Fred Durst are taking over where acts like steps used to rule the roost.

This isn't a new thing. In fact, it's been slowly happening for a while. American record executives getting a feel for what English kids like to buy - and they've finally found that lucrative gap in the market for guitar-based emo rock. Coming back to bands like Limp bizkit, Linkin Park and Staind - they've been very clever. Although they've all had albums released here within the last 5 years, it's not until now that they're going to get the blanket press coverage and exposure that pop bands like Steps used to get. They're not in it to make a "quick buck". They've conned their way in for the long haul by convincing a naive generation of teenagers that having a back catalogue makes you more credible.

Having a live guitar band also allows for a different source of income - live gigs. Pop gigs have always been cheap affairs because they're for kids and everyone knows that they mime. But wheel out a line-up of palm-muting, power-chord thrashing 35 year olds and it suddenly takes on a different edge. Who needs singles sales when you can sell out some field in Germany, or Belgium for a few nights at extortionate prices?

Of course, we knew that the pop acts wouldn't last though. It's happened to every musical genre since the beginning of time. One day, after emo rock has eaten away at the teenagers of this country, they'll grow up and who knows what kind of society we'll have then. And no, before you get all Daily Mail on me, I'm not blaming music for influencing disaffected youngsters. It's more the image and the ploys used to sell the records, no matter what the intellectual content.
Sat 09/08/03 at 00:27
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Actually, it's SR's fault, for not selling CDs.

: D
Fri 08/08/03 at 17:40
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
One problem lies with the record companies bailing out if they don't get instant success.

Way, WAAAAY back record companies used to put some effort into developing bands so that they could release an album and even if it wasn't an instant smash they'd stick with them beyond this. Nowadays the method seems to be to create as much hype as possible, release something and then leave whatever follows to inertia. Then drop your artist if they didn't make you top dollar.

Above all I blame all of you lot. I mean, I'VE never bought a bad record, so someone must be doing it...
Wed 06/08/03 at 16:49
Regular
"keep your receipt"
I hate pop so goddamned much reading this topic has actually made me angry. Look what you've done!
Tue 05/08/03 at 20:25
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Hedfix wrote:
> I think people want REAL music again made by REAL people.

I agree with that, there are way too many cover songs now so there isn't really anything original coming along. That's why I don't like most pop songs, because they just seem so fake at times. And that McDonalds song, I'm not even gonna get started on that. And anything that is original is mostly crap. I blame Simon Cowel for most of it, just simply because he likes no-body.

And this Pop Idol crap, there's gonna be another one, so no doubt we'll end up with more cover songs, and all these little kids are'nt aware of that. So they buy the songs, and the good stuff is left on the shelf.
Tue 05/08/03 at 18:46
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
@xE-M@N wrote:
> Goatboy how come your name has gon red and your grade as changed to a
> tottaly wierd thingy.

*deep throat motion*
Tue 05/08/03 at 18:30
Regular
"Couldn't Give a stu"
Goatboy how come your name has gon red and your grade as changed to a tottaly wierd thingy.
Tue 05/08/03 at 16:01
Hell yeah.

*wink*
Tue 05/08/03 at 15:59
Regular
"8==="
*awaits the new Greekboy name*
Tue 05/08/03 at 15:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So am I fancying men now then?
Tue 05/08/03 at 15:54
Regular
"8==="
Judah Ben-Hur wrote:
> Am I just stupid or did Goatboy get banned or something?

No red's the new notable colour. We had a coup while you were away and yellow now stands for newbie.

Oh and the word newbie now means notable and vice-versa.

Goatboy is a vice-versa.

Confused?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.