GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Increase in SPAM to Freeola hosted domains."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/05/09 at 17:55
"Are you sure?"
Hi,
I've mentioned this in the 'formmail problem' thread but thought it was worth raising in the 'Services' forum.

Over the last few weeks I've seen a rise in the amount of spam - all of a sexual nature to numerous domains and accounts.

Of course I appreciate there is no easy fix for SPAM but 3 of my Freeola hosted clients have now contacted me asking if anything can be done which has prompted this post.

Both my Outlook junk mail filter and GoogleMail's spam filter is correctly capturing the spam so the senders details must be reasonably static - so I can't see why Freeola's filters can't be updated to manage things better.

I've regularly been sending samples to Freeola's abuse@ address where you receive an automated email acknowledgement.

Could Freeola please provide an update here so I can reassure my clients improvements are in hand?

Thanks in advance :¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 20/05/09 at 17:55
"Are you sure?"
Hi,
I've mentioned this in the 'formmail problem' thread but thought it was worth raising in the 'Services' forum.

Over the last few weeks I've seen a rise in the amount of spam - all of a sexual nature to numerous domains and accounts.

Of course I appreciate there is no easy fix for SPAM but 3 of my Freeola hosted clients have now contacted me asking if anything can be done which has prompted this post.

Both my Outlook junk mail filter and GoogleMail's spam filter is correctly capturing the spam so the senders details must be reasonably static - so I can't see why Freeola's filters can't be updated to manage things better.

I've regularly been sending samples to Freeola's abuse@ address where you receive an automated email acknowledgement.

Could Freeola please provide an update here so I can reassure my clients improvements are in hand?

Thanks in advance :¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 20/05/09 at 18:07
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I know the abuse@ is continously checked by the office manager who takes the relevant action. I will mention your comments to him tomorrow and see how he responds, and then get back to you :D

In regards to the current upward trend in spam I also notice my hotmail account is inundated with spam too lately.
Wed 20/05/09 at 18:11
"Are you sure?"
Thanks Warhunt.

I look forward to his response as the 'relevant action' doesn't seem to be helping ;¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 21/05/09 at 18:38
Regular
I have to agree.

The amount of spam on my domain has gone through the roof - all sexually explicit.

I use Mailwasher Pro to filter my mail and its just *full* of sex spam.

I'm used to spam, but this seems to be wayyyy off the scale.

Neil
Thu 21/05/09 at 19:36
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
The abuse@ is generally for use tracking Freeola customers who are sending spam. We take this seriously, and the OM does continously resolve issues in that regard.
Thu 21/05/09 at 20:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Neilj99 wrote:
> I have to agree.
>
> The amount of spam on my domain has gone through the roof - all
> sexually explicit.
>
> I use Mailwasher Pro to filter my mail and its just *full* of
> sex spam.
>
> I'm used to spam, but this seems to be wayyyy off the scale.
>
> Neil

Have been with Freeola for perhaps 10 years now and so cannot make any comments regarding other ISPs. But my accounts have always received a lot of spam - subject lines are sexually explicit but the message is always some viagara link. In the past I used to create Message Rules but the amount of variations was enormous. Now I just delete them - a pain but not a problem and yes I do agree, there has been a tremendous increase over the last five or six weeks.....but that's good old net life for you:-)

However I did have one client, a few months ago, who believed that it was a personal attack on him because they 'seemed' to always come from the same person. A quick phone call to Freeola solved his problem - delete the entire contents of his inbox on the server - there must have been thousands!! Made me smile afterwards as this client is 84 years old, in no need of viagara and can barely read his monitor unless the display is set at large font and he uses a magnifying glass...:-D
Thu 21/05/09 at 23:01
Regular
"wheres the Any Key?"
im no expert and offer no solution, but out of interest are these addresses receiving spam due to the addresses being published online? or are they being received via web mail forms?
Fri 22/05/09 at 09:12
"Are you sure?"
Warhunt wrote:
> The abuse@ is generally for use tracking Freeola customers who
> are sending spam. We take this seriously, and the OM does
> continously resolve issues in that regard.

Hi Warhunt.
Are you aware of this recent growth in spam (all of a very similar sexual nature) to Freeola domains or are you saying it's just 'business as usual'?

As I have quite a number of Freeola domains, I can see the problem is generally across the board and not just isolated accounts.

As I mentioned my junk filters capture it all so it should be possible for Freeola to do the same?!

In the last week some of my Freeola clients are raising this with me and one of them (a teacher) has asked me to change their email from Freeola to BT(!) as they can't risk the children seeing this spam!

Thanks in advance.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 22/05/09 at 14:06
Staff
Unfortunately trapping spam is a constantly moving target, and we will never be able to all spam coming through. We run both greylisting and content filtering on our emails, and we trap the majority of spam that comes through, but the only way to prevent spam (in the end) is being very careful with who knows your email address and making sure that your email address is not posted on public pages (or if you must do this, make sure it is displayed as a graphic.)

I maintain my own freeola email address which has been live for roughly eight years and I do not get any spam, but I also know other people who have email addresses who get spam within days of setting up their addresses. I also maintain some other email addresses (both with Freeola and with other email providers) that I use as disposable address which I will give if I am not secure about the source I am giving the address.

Avoiding addresses that are easy to dictionary attack is another method of avoiding spam, we get large amounts of spam to our sales and enquiries email addresses, but this is because when a domain is set up (both with freeola and with anyone else) the first thing people set is sales@mydomain and enquiries@mydomain which gives the spammers a easy target.

Regarding the abuse address, we use that address to complain on behalf of the user receiving the spam to the ISP's that are forwarding the mail on. If you do have anyone sending mail to that address, can you please make sure that they include the headers for the mail, as at least 50 percent of the mail sent to that address is not possible to chase as they only include the contents not the headers.
Fri 22/05/09 at 14:48
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
ncrs wrote:
> Regarding the abuse address, we use that address to complain on
> behalf of the user receiving the spam to the ISP's that are
> forwarding the mail on. If you do have anyone sending mail to
> that address, can you please make sure that they include the
> headers for the mail, as at least 50 percent of the mail sent to
> that address is not possible to chase as they only include the
> contents not the headers.

That's a better way of explaining what I was trying to say.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.