GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does it actually matter???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/02/01 at 18:36
Regular
When people complain about games that aren't "quite their type" I get really fed up. If a game plays well and you enjoy playing it, regardless of what it's based on, that should be enough.

Take a wrestling game for example, errr, No Mercy. It's a great game, it's fun to play has loads and loads of options, and is quite challenging. But people avoid it because it's wrestling. If it's a decent game then WHO CARES WHAT IT'S BASED ON???

So what you may not like wrestling, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great game. It's the same with Nintendos image. Everyones starting to jump ship to the PSX because it's got a more "Hardcore" image. Nintendos systems do tend to have a lot of cute'n'cuddly games aimed at younger audiences on then and that tends to put gamers off. I don't think you should call yourselves hardcore gamers if you get put off a product by what it's based on.

At the end of the day would you rather have a rubbish shoot-em-up that had great graphics that tried to cover the fact that people would have more fun prodding a used teabag than playing it, or a well thought out, amazingly fun game that happened to have a childish theme? I know which one I'd choose...
Sat 17/02/01 at 18:36
Regular
"You've upset me"
When people complain about games that aren't "quite their type" I get really fed up. If a game plays well and you enjoy playing it, regardless of what it's based on, that should be enough.

Take a wrestling game for example, errr, No Mercy. It's a great game, it's fun to play has loads and loads of options, and is quite challenging. But people avoid it because it's wrestling. If it's a decent game then WHO CARES WHAT IT'S BASED ON???

So what you may not like wrestling, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great game. It's the same with Nintendos image. Everyones starting to jump ship to the PSX because it's got a more "Hardcore" image. Nintendos systems do tend to have a lot of cute'n'cuddly games aimed at younger audiences on then and that tends to put gamers off. I don't think you should call yourselves hardcore gamers if you get put off a product by what it's based on.

At the end of the day would you rather have a rubbish shoot-em-up that had great graphics that tried to cover the fact that people would have more fun prodding a used teabag than playing it, or a well thought out, amazingly fun game that happened to have a childish theme? I know which one I'd choose...
Sat 17/02/01 at 18:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
My 7 year old loves Barbie Race and Ride. She plays nothing else. Great graphics and gameplay, she says.

Answer: Yes it does matter what genre you prefer.
Sun 18/02/01 at 10:40
Regular
"not dead"
I've got a garden full of trees,
And a pocket full of cheese.....
Sun 18/02/01 at 11:17
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I totally agree with Rasta, except with the part about the genre but, I mean I hate puzzle games I think they are a waste of a cartridge...OR CD! I think that Banjo and Conker and Mario...games like that are more fun to play where, I think I would rather prod a cold used tea bag that get in to a game of Bust-A-Move!

The Game
Sun 18/02/01 at 14:21
Regular
"Excommunicated"
meka_dragon wrote:
> I've got a garden full of trees,
And a pocket full of cheese.....

meka_dragon it does not matter :P
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:20
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Can u smell what the meka's cookin'?
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:22
Regular
I don't really like racing games that are too realistic but there are others who won't play a game un less it's a realistic racing game. It's all down to tast i suppose!
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:30
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I've got a pocket full of trees and a garden full of cheese.

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY POSTS YOU'VE MADE!
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:48
I know this isn't the point, but NO Mercy is a terrible game due to the fact that ever copy has a faulty battery save pak. This actually increases the price of the game and yet it doesn't work. What is worse is that THQ new this when they released it in America and got complaints and yet still (after months of not fixing it) released it into the UK! THQ have a lot to answer for as £45 - £50 is a lot of money for a faulty good, it meanss you cannot save your progress or characters as they will eventually erase!

Any how back to the point yes I agree, when I was buying Jet Force Gemini (classic!) my friend made a rearke that the game would have been better if you were to shoot humans rather than armies of Ants. In fact the ants do look cool but what is more important and over shadows whether your shooting Ants, humans, or roast potatoes is the quality of this great game and the AI of the enemies!
Sun 18/02/01 at 15:59
It should not matter what the is based on, but it will always be if a game is fronted or based on stars like wrestlers or footballers it will sell more. For example when ISS Pro came out it was just as good as the latest FIFA but cause it didn't have real player names and it had like John Smith playing for England. So what I'm saying is that to sell a game Yes it Probably Does Matter!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.