GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2D or 3D"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/02/01 at 16:52
Regular
In the light of the news on Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner being updated, does 3D really make games any better? What do you prefer?

3D games mean that the game seems more realistic and has spawned numorous classics such as Doom, UT, Goldeneye and many more. It seems to be the dimension of choice for any modern game, from racing to FPS, mostly due to Wolfenstein on the PC and the Playstation's selling point of high-quality polygon graphics when it first arrived on the scene. It does make the games prettier and more realistic, but it doesn't really make the gameplay any better. When Sonic and Mario went 3D there were many 'wows' from gamesplayers and, yes, the games were good and afforded much more freedom to explore the gameworld.

2D game have, of course, been around since gaming existed, and are still rife today in Capcom's beat-em-ups like the Street fighter series, platform games and in most handheld games. The left, right, up and down limitations are well established but have been used in such classics as the command and conquer series, strategy games and most decent top-down football games. They are, however, increasingly rare to find in magazine screenshots as 3D is the order of the day.

I believe there is still room for the 2D game, and games firms shouldn't try to make everything 3D just to sell their products. Save the 2D game before it falls flat, you know it makes sense.
Sat 17/02/01 at 16:52
"possibly impossible"
In the light of the news on Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner being updated, does 3D really make games any better? What do you prefer?

3D games mean that the game seems more realistic and has spawned numorous classics such as Doom, UT, Goldeneye and many more. It seems to be the dimension of choice for any modern game, from racing to FPS, mostly due to Wolfenstein on the PC and the Playstation's selling point of high-quality polygon graphics when it first arrived on the scene. It does make the games prettier and more realistic, but it doesn't really make the gameplay any better. When Sonic and Mario went 3D there were many 'wows' from gamesplayers and, yes, the games were good and afforded much more freedom to explore the gameworld.

2D game have, of course, been around since gaming existed, and are still rife today in Capcom's beat-em-ups like the Street fighter series, platform games and in most handheld games. The left, right, up and down limitations are well established but have been used in such classics as the command and conquer series, strategy games and most decent top-down football games. They are, however, increasingly rare to find in magazine screenshots as 3D is the order of the day.

I believe there is still room for the 2D game, and games firms shouldn't try to make everything 3D just to sell their products. Save the 2D game before it falls flat, you know it makes sense.
Sat 17/02/01 at 17:06
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
BOTH!

3d is great for things that need it to work properly, or if it improves the games imensly (mario 3d etc)

2d for things that work best in 2 d (fighting games- except for powerstone, every other fighter is 2d with the ability to go in and out of the screen... not really 3d). And what about pac man 3d... poor!

SonicRav
Sat 17/02/01 at 17:08
Regular
I've always preferred 2D gaming!

I love 2D platformers and that's why I used to love the Mario games and the Sonic games!

I also love those RPG's which you see from an overhead view like Pokémon and Zelda games (1-4+6)

2D games just appeal to me more than 3D!

Mario tennis is 2D on the GBC but it's an excellent game! The graphics are great for a 2D game! I wouldn't be suprised if more games like it are released slightly enhanced on the Gameboy Advance!

The Newzealand Story for the ZX Spectrum was a 2D platformer (also in arcades) which I loved! The music was better quality than the SNES and the sound effects were straight from the arcade! The levels were huge and the game lasts for ages!

Puzzle games are better in 2D! Especially games like Tetris and Pac-panic! If you make them too complicated then they wont be too puzzling because it will make them harder to be programmed like they should be, etc

2D games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were great games!

I prefer 2D to 3D when it comes to games!

The Borg in Star Trek can only see in 2D and they are beings trying to reach perfection!

Sat 17/02/01 at 17:14
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I prefer 3D myself purely because you have a better view of the action, having said that I mean you never get a dodgy camera angle in 2D games do you, there is never any confusion about where you are, unless you are in a Zelda maze, and the graphics aren't blocks, especially in the new Street Fighter!

But having said that I prefer having these slight troubles and playing games like Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day where you are the centre of a 3D adventure and exploration adventure.

So for me it is 3D, I don't think that 2D has that sting and level of excitement that 3D gives off, maybe it is just me, I guess I am used to ace 3D graphics from the N64, I never had a Playstation so that is why I am used to quality and decent 3D games....

and NO! Nothern loser, who knows nothing about wrestling is going to tell me otherwise!

The Game...

:o)
Sat 17/02/01 at 17:18
Regular
I haven't had the same amount of enjoyment from a 3D game as I have a 2D game.
Sat 17/02/01 at 17:34
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Mind you the Rayman advance screens look ace and I suppose in handhelds games I prefer the 2D rather than a poor attempt at a 3D game, I thik that 2D games are only better when they would look stupid in 3D, But you must look at a 3D possibility first, except when looking @ puzzle games!

The Game

Rayman Advance.......cooooooolll...llok at him go!
Sat 17/02/01 at 17:36
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The terrain looks cool as well, a Must for Rayman fans!!!
Sat 17/02/01 at 17:52
Regular
"You've upset me"
Who really cares wether it's 2D or 3D? Aslong as the game itself is fun to play and has a decent multiplayer (not absolutley neccessary) then I'm happy.

This is basically thr Graphics V Gameplay debate again.
I personally feel that the best game of all time is Mario World on the SNES. Or for that matter any of the Mario games on the SNES, they all had supreme gameplay and thats all that matters in a game.

RBS
Sat 17/02/01 at 18:10
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The Game wrote:
> The terrain looks cool as well, a Must for Rayman fans!!!

Game, you teat! there are no rayman fans, what planet are you on...

And thinking about it why the hell would they Make Mario AllStars Advanced, all the old gameboy games from Tetris to Pokémon Trading Card will work on the GBA, so really they are just making new games, you can play the old games like the PSX gamnes on the PS2, I guess the GBA might just be the PS2 of handheld gaming!!!!

The Game
Sat 17/02/01 at 19:02
Regular
rastabillyskank wrote:
> Who really cares wether it's 2D or 3D?

Most people in todays society are more likely to go for a crap 3D game than the best 2D game!

It's because they assume that 3D is better even though most 2D games have more playbility.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.