GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Punch-Drunk Love"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/07/03 at 00:46
Regular
The 4th from Paul Thomas Anderson, after Hard Eight, Boogie Nights and Magnolia.
Now if you didn't like any of those, don't bother to read further or rent/buy the film.
If, like me, you think Adam Sandler is annoying, stupid-voice manchild then read on.

Punch-Drunk Love.
Plot?
Barry Egan (Sandler) is a repressed, put-upon everyman given to fits of psychotic rage when needled. He buys puddings for the frequent flyer miles and decides to phone a sex-line one night, for company.
His sister brings one of her colleagues to visit Barry at work, and presents her saying "Why don't you go out with her?"

I wont say anymore for fear of ruining this film, and you need to see it with as little pre-knowledge as possible. Not because of spoilers, but because it would spoil each and every magical moment that follows.
Not a typical love story by any means, but from the perspective of a man that wrote Magnolia.
It's emotional, believable, uplifting, surreal, magical, beautiful and a whole lot more.
Has Anderson's style all over it, from long tracking shots to the use of colour and music to tell his story (Shelley Duvall's rendition of "He wants me" from Popeye is used to absolute perfection.
And his usual supporting cast of people like Louis Guizman and Phillip Seymour Hoffman pop up to make Anderson devotees smile.

From the quiet, peaceful start of Barry walking out to the street, pre-dawn to the sudden...well...I won't spoil it but it's random, has no relevance and just *is*, and the dumping of a harmonium in the street afterwards, right up to the finale - it's a joy from start to finish.
I can't stand Adam Sandler, haven't enjoyed any of his movies but he's note-perfect here.
By turn vulnerable, sweet, nervous, psychotic, stammering, determined (his "I have a strength you cannot comprehend, I have a love in my life and that gives me more power than you can ever possibly imagine" speech is fantastic),

Punch-Drunk Love is an off-kilter romance with the most unconventional romantic pillow talk ever ("I want to smash your face off with a sledgehammer and hold it in my hands"), incredible visuals set to music, excellent acting and the most horrible sisters since Cinderella ("Remember when we used to call you Gayboy?" "...no" "Yeah we did! Are you gay yet?" "...I dont know")

If you liked Anderson's early efforts, check it out.
If you like slightly odd movies, check it out.
If you believe that there exists a person out there no matter how strange you are will accept and want you, check it out.

Just dont check it if you liked "Big Daddy" or other Adam Sandler films and expect the same.
Tue 02/09/03 at 15:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
"What exactly is wrong Barry?"
"I...I dont like myself sometimes"
"Uh-huh"
"And uh"
"It's perfectly normal Barry,other people feel that"
"Well, that's just it. I dont know anyone else, so I dont know if this is normal. Also, I cry a lot sometimes and I dont know why"
Tue 02/09/03 at 15:08
Regular
Saw it last night. Thought it was brilliant. I loved how he was clumsy for most of the film, but when the phone-sex brother guys hurt Emily Watson, he becomes perfectly co-ordinated, such as flipping the crowbar and quickly demolishing them. Superb PT protrayal of what love can do.
Mon 04/08/03 at 15:19
Regular
"cachoo"
It was a bit unexpected..! I loved the scene where they're in bed and he's saying something about smashing her face in with a sledgehammer. Dodgy!
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:24
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I rented it last week sometime. Was the first to get it out from my local blockbuster as it was still in wrapping. Almost bought it for £13.99 off CDWow.co.uk but decided against it as I wasn't sure if I could afford to buy it. But reading some of these posts has made me re-consider.
Sun 03/08/03 at 21:06
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The extras are the same as the rental version.
2 deleted scenes, Scopitones, "blood and roses" feature, some trailers and that's about it.
And Hoffman taking a stack into the floor, apparently that's a stuntman.
Watch it again and try to spot where they cut it. Impossible. Another reason why this film is genius.

"I would say that's that Mattress Man"
Sun 03/08/03 at 19:49
Regular
"not dead"
Rented it over the weekend, great film.

On the subject of deleted ssenes, if the rentla version is the same as the retail one, there are only two, the first involving many more phone-calls from his sisters before the party, the second is him talking to the brothers after he gets them their money.

I agree with Goatboy on the revenge scene too. After the smash, he just gets out of the car and sorts it out. Fantastic.

He's just such an odd little character, you can't help but feel for him. Hell, I could image you would grow up with problems if you were the only boy with seven sisters.

Top stuff.

Oh, another top extra on the rental version, Philip Seymour Hoffman falling onto some matresses, then onto the hard ground when filming a mock commercial for the matress place. Hilarious.
Sat 02/08/03 at 13:15
Regular
It atually showed at my Cineworld, but I avoided if for the seemingly popular anti-Sandler reasons. I'll rent it sometime after all these recommendations, but I still have a hard time believing there's a good Sandler film.
Sat 02/08/03 at 12:46
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Heh, okay. I've got a bit of a ropey version, so I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

Boo, I just checked and there's no commentary :(
Sat 02/08/03 at 12:19
Regular
"cachoo"
I'll let you know in "5 to 7 days". :)
Sat 02/08/03 at 10:22
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
"SHUT UP! SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP! SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT UP!"

The phone conversation is brilliant. A worthy purchase, you won't regret it. I wouldn't mind knowing what the deleted scenes are like, if you'd be so kind - if they're good I might buy the DVD.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.