GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Third Place ---- What does it mean???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/02/01 at 23:47
Regular
The Third Place ---- What does it mean???

Sonys recent PS2 advertising campaigne says that the PS2 will take you to "The Third Place"... But what does this mean???

From what I can gather its somewhere thats not Work, not home but somewhere else (i.e. The Third Place!).

So what do you think this means??? Do you think the Third place suggests PS2 will end up with the Third best market position after Gamecube and X-box??? Tell me your wild and wacky interpretations!
Fri 16/02/01 at 23:47
The Third Place ---- What does it mean???

Sonys recent PS2 advertising campaigne says that the PS2 will take you to "The Third Place"... But what does this mean???

From what I can gather its somewhere thats not Work, not home but somewhere else (i.e. The Third Place!).

So what do you think this means??? Do you think the Third place suggests PS2 will end up with the Third best market position after Gamecube and X-box??? Tell me your wild and wacky interpretations!
Sat 17/02/01 at 01:22
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I guess it's more an association with the number 'three', what with 'three' being a special number. The third dimension... close encounter of the third kind... and so on.

Perhaps it's trying to say it's more than just the second imstallment?
Sat 17/02/01 at 05:47
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Didn't I do the lecture on this topic just before Christmas? Here it is again:

Sony's advertisement campaign regarding the 3rd place is one of the most groundbreaking and astonishing pieces of marketing of the 20th and quite possibly the 21st century.

Starting with subliminal messaging, the series of advertisements shown over the launch period induced consumers into an addictive mentality, (must have one, must get one, must buy one), as evidenced by the presence of the metaphorical talking duck in the 3rd in the series.

Buying inevitability by consumers was further reinforced by the violent imagery (man throwing up an arm, metaphorical allegory and happenstance with regards to the low bass background music etc.,) that was displayed in the 4th installments.

All throughout, the prospect of the 3rd place was aliterated and proffered by Sony to the consumer. This is based on Antoloy's Theory of Subconscious (Britannica 2001 vii, x, pp27). The theory is this:

First Place = Reality
Second Place = Imaginary

What if everything that you believed to be Reality was actually Imaginary? Then you yourself would only be a figment of your own imagination.

What if everything that you believed to be Imaginary was actually Reality? Then you would be in serious trouble and may not even survive your imagined realities.

The conclusion of this 2nd argument led Antoloy to surmise that all that is real is imaginary. Therefore, the prospect of 'The 3rd Place' arose, which is what Sony portray so vividly in their imagery.

'The 3rd Place' according to Antoloy, was actu
Sat 17/02/01 at 05:50
Regular
Sorry, I got bored, if you want to know the answer find the original post. :-)
Sat 17/02/01 at 08:57
I KNEW FantasyMeister would have replied this an answer like this - I remember the original topic about this!!

Anyway, the third place seems very jagged to me - oh and I want 4 ports on my console!
Sat 17/02/01 at 09:16
Regular
I only need one port. :-)
Sat 17/02/01 at 09:28
Regular
Oh, all right then, here's the short answer:

The 3rd Place = Gamers' Nirvana

Although how this answer is arrived at involves quite an extended explanation, but at least it's the official answer.
Sat 17/02/01 at 09:48
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I think I'll go look for the original post. I wasn't here at xmas, so I never saw it first time round.

Wish me luck finding it....
Sat 17/02/01 at 09:51
Regular
Ok, good luck finding it...
Sat 17/02/01 at 09:57
Regular
Playstation 2 in 3rd place

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.