GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What "makes" a website"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/05/09 at 13:22
Regular
So now my son tells me my site looks S***

Its to plain, does not scan well and is boring

Hm well I thought it did what it said on the tin but i am no longer 22 years old and in a way the sort of 25-40 age range are the ones that my use the web for a pest controller.

So what does make a site stand out? I have seen a few with flash but that is beyond me. Do you really need it, am I wasting my time ?
Sat 16/05/09 at 10:53
Regular
I have added some more pages, any comments again would be gratefully accepted.

A couple other things please.

Do you think the 205x193 images on the commercial page are a bit big? thats the set format for the template.

I had to add a row to get the pic of the mouse above the standard 3 photos but cant get it to align quite right.
Sun 10/05/09 at 12:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dograt wrote:
> I normally use Times New Roman
>
> (B)(I)(U) GUARDIAN (/B)(I/)(/U)
> PEST CONTROL
>
> Hey that didnt work LOL ! but thats what I use. Rentokil spent a
> fortune on updating their logo and all that really changed was
> the italics and an underline !so I did the same !!
>
> Also the banner maker only seemsto allow one line of text so you
> cant put in a phone nuimber or anything else like hmm and garin
> have.
>
> Perhaps a tutorial on how to build a basic banner please? I did
> find one on you tube but still couldnt follow it doh!

Serif PhotoPlus 8 is good for 'banner' construction and it should be free if you visit Free Serif Software or Xara Webstyle, not free but gives a trial period - long enough to play around with and create a banner Free Xara Webstyle.
Sun 10/05/09 at 11:33
Regular
I normally use Times New Roman

(B)(I)(U) GUARDIAN (/B)(I/)(/U)
PEST CONTROL

Hey that didnt work LOL ! but thats what I use. Rentokil spent a fortune on updating their logo and all that really changed was the italics and an underline !so I did the same !!

Also the banner maker only seemsto allow one line of text so you cant put in a phone nuimber or anything else like hmm and garin have.

Perhaps a tutorial on how to build a basic banner please? I did find one on you tube but still couldnt follow it doh!
Sun 10/05/09 at 11:04
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Regarding the logo fonts in the builder. We'd be happy to look at more fonts suggested by customers but they do have to be freely available and support all normal characters and punctuation (it's surprising how may free fonts can't even cope with a apostrophe).
Sun 10/05/09 at 10:54
"Are you sure?"
Hi Dograt,
Always happy to (try and) help :¬)
It's nice to have some posts returned as quite a few people seem to ask questions and then never reappear...!

If the wording on the banner is separate text on the page then it is important as search engines can read it - but if it's part of the actual graphic (i.e. added in the graphics editor) then the search engines won't be able to 'read' it. Hope that makes sense.

It's sometimes tricky to get the Instant Builder to do what you want! Keep experimenting is all I can say...

The wasps were from my 'collection' - happy to put one/some in a group for you or as a single if you would like to use them. If you would, just let me know what colour background you would like.

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Sun 10/05/09 at 10:32
Regular
A picture paints a thousand words.

Both the banners look sssssssoooooooooo much better then just the plain one. and present the right image.

The instant pro banner builder is pretty limiting I think, only a few fonts (Not the one I normally use for the company name)

I will have to get my head around the gimp thing. Hmm did you find the wasp images easy to find ? I dont think I have seen them before.

I take it as per hmms guide on search engines that the wording in the banner is important as this is what the engines pick up on.

Thanks once again, I am astounded I have been given so much help. (I am not creeping)
Sat 09/05/09 at 19:10
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Hmmm... wrote:
> As Garin had a go at a banner

Not really, I just realised it was infinitely quicker to show him what I meant rather than try to explain it.
Sat 09/05/09 at 19:06
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
> Dograt wrote:
> I was not to keen on the banner I did set it to the size
> recommended but I take it I can change the size? ,l have to
> work
> out how to make another(I have downloaded the gimp as
> suggested)
> have to get my head around that.I will try to mess about with
> it
> to get it right (Perhaps a tutorial on banner making :-)
>
> I know absolutely nothing about InstantPro and what is possible
> with it. But if you cant change the size then I guess the way to
> go is to make better use of the space and try to include more
> information on there, something like
> this.
>

That is a great banner, Garin - I like it :-)
Sat 09/05/09 at 18:08
"Are you sure?"
Hi - I see you are working on things - it's looking better already :¬)
EDIT: Remember on the 'web' people assume underlined words are links - so it's often better to emphasis words in others ways...

As Garin had a go at a banner I thought I would have a quick bash too!
Here's my effort : pest control banner

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Sat 09/05/09 at 16:20
Regular
"How Ironic"
Just remember, a website is never built, it's developed ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.