GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wave Race Review"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/02/01 at 17:37
Regular
I know this should be put on ukreviews.com but unfortunately there isn't a section for it.

This was one of the N64's launch games and is now in the Players Choice game range but I still think it is more than worthy of a review, so here it is!

The second game I ever bought for my N64 was Wave Race I bought it unboxed and unmanualed(?) from my local second hand shop. When I got it home I started playing on it and was immediately hooked.

The game is simple, ride around a course on your JetSki and try and finish first in the race. There are the other basic modes for you to try aswell, Stunt mode, Time attack and 2 player but despite this superb racers lack of options it is still unrivalled in my opinion as the best racing game on the N64. The gameplay flows like a waterfall and is very easy to get into. The waters graphics are extremley realistic and gorgeous to look at. The games learning curve is expertly done with the first three courses just there to get you used to the controls. Before long you find yourself flying round hairpin bends pulling off Helicopter flips just for the fun of it.

The movement of the JetSki is controlled by the Control Stick and with its easy, almost lazy 360 turn radius is amazingly responsive to your actions. The physics of this game are very realistic aswell, lean forward on you JetSki by pushing forward on the stick and when you next blink you will sinking nose-first into the sea.

The two player mode is a great addition to this game. No one will ever pass up the chance to race against you over ice sheets and across harbours. Even if you do get bored you can always make up games to play. My personnel favourite is Tag. Pretty self-explanatory, two players choose a section of the course, decide which ones 'it' first and away you go! Simplistic, yes, but bloody good fun all the same.

The games lastability has to be among the longest seen on the N64. Five difficulty settings are included these are: Beginner, Medium, Hard, Expert and Reverse. Complimented with 15 courses this game will have you freezing to cyber death in the cold waters of the Antarctic for quite a long time.

Of course there are some down points to this game. The lack of options is one aswell as the fact that there are only four racers for you to choose from (despite rumours that there is a bonus JetSki) These are irrelevant when you take into account the fact that this is one of the most playable racers seen on the N64.

It may be old but it is still one hell of a game. If you see it going cheap anywhere don't make the mistake of passing the opportunity because you will definitely live to regret it. Unquestionably a golden oldie.

RBS
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 15/02/01 at 17:37
Regular
"You've upset me"
I know this should be put on ukreviews.com but unfortunately there isn't a section for it.

This was one of the N64's launch games and is now in the Players Choice game range but I still think it is more than worthy of a review, so here it is!

The second game I ever bought for my N64 was Wave Race I bought it unboxed and unmanualed(?) from my local second hand shop. When I got it home I started playing on it and was immediately hooked.

The game is simple, ride around a course on your JetSki and try and finish first in the race. There are the other basic modes for you to try aswell, Stunt mode, Time attack and 2 player but despite this superb racers lack of options it is still unrivalled in my opinion as the best racing game on the N64. The gameplay flows like a waterfall and is very easy to get into. The waters graphics are extremley realistic and gorgeous to look at. The games learning curve is expertly done with the first three courses just there to get you used to the controls. Before long you find yourself flying round hairpin bends pulling off Helicopter flips just for the fun of it.

The movement of the JetSki is controlled by the Control Stick and with its easy, almost lazy 360 turn radius is amazingly responsive to your actions. The physics of this game are very realistic aswell, lean forward on you JetSki by pushing forward on the stick and when you next blink you will sinking nose-first into the sea.

The two player mode is a great addition to this game. No one will ever pass up the chance to race against you over ice sheets and across harbours. Even if you do get bored you can always make up games to play. My personnel favourite is Tag. Pretty self-explanatory, two players choose a section of the course, decide which ones 'it' first and away you go! Simplistic, yes, but bloody good fun all the same.

The games lastability has to be among the longest seen on the N64. Five difficulty settings are included these are: Beginner, Medium, Hard, Expert and Reverse. Complimented with 15 courses this game will have you freezing to cyber death in the cold waters of the Antarctic for quite a long time.

Of course there are some down points to this game. The lack of options is one aswell as the fact that there are only four racers for you to choose from (despite rumours that there is a bonus JetSki) These are irrelevant when you take into account the fact that this is one of the most playable racers seen on the N64.

It may be old but it is still one hell of a game. If you see it going cheap anywhere don't make the mistake of passing the opportunity because you will definitely live to regret it. Unquestionably a golden oldie.

RBS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.