GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who to vote for?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/07/03 at 09:25
Regular
So Blair's status rating is dwindling. His vision of "new labour" actually harkens back to the days the Tories used statistics to back up their ludicrous (and fabricated) claims that the NHS is getting better.

His stance on Europe is nothing short of disgusting. He refuses to grant us the right of a referendum and will approve the forthcoming EU constitution when the majority of the public don't want to enter the European Union. I was unperturbed by this turn of events until I investigated further:

"The officers of the new EU police force, Europol, are immune from criminal prosecution should they break the law while carrying out their activities" (The Europol Convention, article 41, paragraph 1)

The EU arrest warrant will enable authorities of any part of the Union to have a citizen automatically extradited from another EU member state, even if the "crime" that individual is alleged to have committed is not actually illegal in his or her own country. There will be no need to provide evidence against the accused.

The above a just a couple of human rights infringements that the so called EU has looming over our head.

The war of Iraq was shown to be a sham. In his quest for megalomaniac glory, he refused to abide by his own words on national tv ("I won't go to war without a 2nd resolution") and joined Bush et al in this illegal war, on the basis of WOMD's and, when that premise failed, a brutal "regime" that needed displacing. I won't go on about the war due to the numerous threads confirming our thoughts.

He has created more spin doctor posts than any British government in the past and, when faced with tough questions, refuses to answer them, as if by being the elected PM, he is immune to explain his actions to the very people that voted him in. Indeed, the obligatory posts of spin doctors have ruined his fragile career; when he should have been pumping money into the NHS, he instead created numerous new posts for "administrators" sometime with a salary 3-4 times that of an average NHS worker. Their job? To manipulate statistics thereby putting the government in a favourable light.

He has been dogged by controversy and sleaze. (I once thought the words "Tory" and "sleaze" were synonamous - I was wrong. Replace "Tory" with "Labour") His mismanagement of cabinet reshuffles is laudable and his original election maifesto of refusing to raise income tax was a blatant sham when he raise NI contributions.

The handling of the foot and mouth epidemic was incompetent to the extreme. Farmers' livestock was destroyed and it took months and in some circumstances, years to recoup their losses in the form of subsidiaries from the government.

Crime? Don't make me laugh. Crime is up more than tenfold. (or so it seems to me). Not a day goes by without muggings, carjacking or general gross incompetence in the police force. Child abuse scandals, more civil rights granted to criminals rather than victims and the proposed abolition of rights to trial by jury.

So, to recap, where does that leave us? Who can we vote for now? I've got a sickening feeling that Blair will still be voted in. Not because he's the right person for the job, rather that the alternatives are far worse.
"Better the devil you know" as they say.

Any thoughts?
Tue 15/07/03 at 18:14
Regular
"It's been a while.."
dont vote for blair, he's banning kissing in public for under 16's.

Poof
Tue 15/07/03 at 16:15
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Miserableman wrote:

>
>
> What does that do? (genuine query)

The theory is that if the government realise that 40% of the electorate are willing to vote, but that no-one is truly representative of them, they will then be a lot more willing to listen to want the electorate actually want. Whereas if that same 40% don't vote, then why should they do anything other than pander to a minority that will guarantee them re-election (for a specific example, I'm thinking of how the tories pandered to the Ulster Unionists during the Major years).

>
>
> Unbelievers post is a good example of why none of us have any right to
> vote, as we all form selective judgements about political events. I
> don't pretend to understand any given political situation but I know
> enough about the war in Iraq to be disgusted by the way it was raised
> and run. Therefore I won't vote Labour, I probably won't vote at all
> in fact (I can't be bothered and I don't know how).

Honestly, I'd implore you to turn up and write "You're all &*$&'s and I hate you" rather than not voting. Maybe it won't make a difference, but maybe it will.
Tue 15/07/03 at 13:59
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Light wrote:
> Personally, I think I'm going to spoil the ballot paper. Being as how
> something like 40% of the electorate don't vote, the political parties
> tend to assume that means they can ignore them. If that 40% made it
> clear that they are willing to use their voice and that they are not
> happy with any of the choices on offer, then we'd see a fairly radical
> shake up in terms of governments actually representing the will of the
> majority.

What does that do? (genuine query)

Unbelievers post is a good example of why none of us have any right to vote, as we all form selective judgements about political events. I don't pretend to understand any given political situation but I know enough about the war in Iraq to be disgusted by the way it was raised and run. Therefore I won't vote Labour, I probably won't vote at all in fact (I can't be bothered and I don't know how).
Tue 15/07/03 at 13:31
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Personally, I think I'm going to spoil the ballot paper. Being as how something like 40% of the electorate don't vote, the political parties tend to assume that means they can ignore them. If that 40% made it clear that they are willing to use their voice and that they are not happy with any of the choices on offer, then we'd see a fairly radical shake up in terms of governments actually representing the will of the majority.

Yeah, yeah...I'm a dreamer...

And I'm also sure that I've just described a part of the plot to Brewsters Millions...
Tue 15/07/03 at 13:27
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'm gonna go to the voting booth and play a hazardous game of "ickle ockle sh*t in a bockle"
Tue 15/07/03 at 12:19
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
It doesnt matter who you vote for, all the options are rubbish.

At the mo though, it looks tories for me, as they want to tell the europeans where to go, but wether they have the stones to actually do it is another matter.
Tue 15/07/03 at 10:56
I can't take politics seriously any more.

Towards the end of the John Major ministry, the newspapers were awash with "scandals", "incompetence, "corruption" and "sexual deviancy".

And so on that note, Labour were voted in with a landslide election victory. The country rejoiced.

Now, the newspapers are once again awash with pretty much the same scanal crap as before, less the sexual deviancy I think. What does that tell me? That our politicians, generally, are an incompetent bunch of self-interested morons whose only skill is the verbal sale of skills they pretend to have but realistically have no claim to.

Vote in Tories, get scandal
Vote in Labour, get scandal

Am I supposed to think the Libs would be any better? Or the Green Party? The BNP?

What we need are politicians who can wield power without the need to flex it for show like a corrupted bicep.

As far as I'm concerned, we don't have any of them, and sometimes wish for an end to democracy altogether. At least that would put an end to the ridiculous illusion that I have a choice in whatever happens to the country.
Tue 15/07/03 at 10:16
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I vote Green party if there is a candidate in my borough,who doesn't seem like a total mong head. I know that they could never form an effective Government but I tend to vote for the person I want to be my MP rather than the party to whom their allegiances are with.
Tue 15/07/03 at 10:03
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It's playground politics. What one says, the other will say the opposite. I regretted not voting in the last election (I was going to vote Labour), but now I am glad, because either way we would have had someone in power who is not up to the job.
Tue 15/07/03 at 09:25
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
So Blair's status rating is dwindling. His vision of "new labour" actually harkens back to the days the Tories used statistics to back up their ludicrous (and fabricated) claims that the NHS is getting better.

His stance on Europe is nothing short of disgusting. He refuses to grant us the right of a referendum and will approve the forthcoming EU constitution when the majority of the public don't want to enter the European Union. I was unperturbed by this turn of events until I investigated further:

"The officers of the new EU police force, Europol, are immune from criminal prosecution should they break the law while carrying out their activities" (The Europol Convention, article 41, paragraph 1)

The EU arrest warrant will enable authorities of any part of the Union to have a citizen automatically extradited from another EU member state, even if the "crime" that individual is alleged to have committed is not actually illegal in his or her own country. There will be no need to provide evidence against the accused.

The above a just a couple of human rights infringements that the so called EU has looming over our head.

The war of Iraq was shown to be a sham. In his quest for megalomaniac glory, he refused to abide by his own words on national tv ("I won't go to war without a 2nd resolution") and joined Bush et al in this illegal war, on the basis of WOMD's and, when that premise failed, a brutal "regime" that needed displacing. I won't go on about the war due to the numerous threads confirming our thoughts.

He has created more spin doctor posts than any British government in the past and, when faced with tough questions, refuses to answer them, as if by being the elected PM, he is immune to explain his actions to the very people that voted him in. Indeed, the obligatory posts of spin doctors have ruined his fragile career; when he should have been pumping money into the NHS, he instead created numerous new posts for "administrators" sometime with a salary 3-4 times that of an average NHS worker. Their job? To manipulate statistics thereby putting the government in a favourable light.

He has been dogged by controversy and sleaze. (I once thought the words "Tory" and "sleaze" were synonamous - I was wrong. Replace "Tory" with "Labour") His mismanagement of cabinet reshuffles is laudable and his original election maifesto of refusing to raise income tax was a blatant sham when he raise NI contributions.

The handling of the foot and mouth epidemic was incompetent to the extreme. Farmers' livestock was destroyed and it took months and in some circumstances, years to recoup their losses in the form of subsidiaries from the government.

Crime? Don't make me laugh. Crime is up more than tenfold. (or so it seems to me). Not a day goes by without muggings, carjacking or general gross incompetence in the police force. Child abuse scandals, more civil rights granted to criminals rather than victims and the proposed abolition of rights to trial by jury.

So, to recap, where does that leave us? Who can we vote for now? I've got a sickening feeling that Blair will still be voted in. Not because he's the right person for the job, rather that the alternatives are far worse.
"Better the devil you know" as they say.

Any thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.