GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Runescape - A road to millions, and an incurable addiction"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'RuneScape'.
Tue 28/04/09 at 19:30
Regular
"How Ironic"
Runescape-a game i remember hearing about when quite young, and spent many years on nightly, thinking i was an indestructable warrior.

Runescape is a classic MMORPG which has been around for years. It started with old style graphics, which were not very good, but that's by todays standards. In fact, you can still play 'Old Runescape' as it is called now, but of course, good thing don't come at good prices. Of course, like most good things on Runescape, you have to be a member.

This is one feature of the game which infuriated me constantly. It didn't matter how hard you trained or worked, members would always look cooler than you. A clever ploy on Jagex's part, because when you're a teenager, your primary goal is to look cool. So of course, out comes the wallet to fork out the £3.50 it'll take to get that dragon longsword. Even then you needed 100,000 gp to buy it in the first place.

In modern day Runescape as it were, things have vastly improved. Graphics have improved alot from the old graphics, and have improved 10 fold from runescape classic. There are now more realistic sounds, and everywhere you move, you're met with another sound, wether it be a slight breeze, or a fountain. The soundtrack has also increased in quality, and in size. With new areas being introduced constantly, there is always another style of song for the jagex team to compose and record.

One of the main aims of the game is to complete quests for different people around the world of Runescape. Of course, more quests are available to members than to free players. In fact, the last time i logged onto Runescape, which was not too long ago, the number of quests for free players was exactly the same as it had been for the previous 3 or 4 years. That is one problem in Runescape, that the member players seem to be catered for more than the free players. Free players barely ever recieve an update, in comparison to the weekly updates for members.

One great thing in Runescape which every player can access is the long running seasonal events. These are events in the game which happen at Easter, Halloween and Christmas. At least the Jagex team have continued with them for the last couple of years, although recently, members could access extra seasonal gifts or quests.

The biggest update to Runescape in my opinion is the introduction of a 'mock economy' called The Grand Exchange (commonly abbreviated to 'GE' ingame). Originally, to sell items, you would stand in a bank in Varrock, constatly typing your item and your asking price, while another 500 people did exactly the same, eventually resulting in a computer crash, well that's what it was like for me anyway. Now, you can simply put your items in The Grand Exchange, simply specifying how much you want, and giving the quantity, and once someone wants to buy that item comes along, you're simply given the money, and they recieve the item/items. Free members recieve 2 selling/buying slots while members, yes, you guessed it, recieve 6 buying/selling slots. Of course, as stuff is sold cheaply, it's price moves down for the whole of Runescape, and vice versa, meaning if the demand is high, people are willing to pay high prices.

The area of Runescape i spent the most time on was working on my skills. So many times would you be asked your attack level or woodcutting level, as whatever your level was on Runescape seemed to decide how much respect you got, or not in most cases. But as i said before though, i got addicted to this game. For example, you would get to 40 woodcutting, and think, i'm not too far from 41 woodcutting, and so you continue to cut willows down (or maples if you were lucky enough to be a member). You can see how easy it was to get so engrossed with raising them little number all the way to the top level of 99.

In conclusion, Runescape is legendary MMORPG to me, in bad ways and good ways. I would recommend it to anyone as a game, but not one to spend your life on. It's a game you turn to when you have nothing to do, though to some people it's a game you turn to, even if you have something to do.

I'm going to give this game 2 ratings, as i feel it unfair to give this game a low score due to bad graphics and sounds in comparison to the games available today. So i'll give it a game score, and a playability score.

Game score:2/10
Playability score:8/10
Wed 29/04/09 at 18:32
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Yeah I remember loading up Runescape once, and was a bit scared off by the graphics!
Wed 29/04/09 at 15:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Nice review. Not ever really taken the game seriously myself, although I have dabbled.
Tue 28/04/09 at 19:30
Regular
"How Ironic"
Runescape-a game i remember hearing about when quite young, and spent many years on nightly, thinking i was an indestructable warrior.

Runescape is a classic MMORPG which has been around for years. It started with old style graphics, which were not very good, but that's by todays standards. In fact, you can still play 'Old Runescape' as it is called now, but of course, good thing don't come at good prices. Of course, like most good things on Runescape, you have to be a member.

This is one feature of the game which infuriated me constantly. It didn't matter how hard you trained or worked, members would always look cooler than you. A clever ploy on Jagex's part, because when you're a teenager, your primary goal is to look cool. So of course, out comes the wallet to fork out the £3.50 it'll take to get that dragon longsword. Even then you needed 100,000 gp to buy it in the first place.

In modern day Runescape as it were, things have vastly improved. Graphics have improved alot from the old graphics, and have improved 10 fold from runescape classic. There are now more realistic sounds, and everywhere you move, you're met with another sound, wether it be a slight breeze, or a fountain. The soundtrack has also increased in quality, and in size. With new areas being introduced constantly, there is always another style of song for the jagex team to compose and record.

One of the main aims of the game is to complete quests for different people around the world of Runescape. Of course, more quests are available to members than to free players. In fact, the last time i logged onto Runescape, which was not too long ago, the number of quests for free players was exactly the same as it had been for the previous 3 or 4 years. That is one problem in Runescape, that the member players seem to be catered for more than the free players. Free players barely ever recieve an update, in comparison to the weekly updates for members.

One great thing in Runescape which every player can access is the long running seasonal events. These are events in the game which happen at Easter, Halloween and Christmas. At least the Jagex team have continued with them for the last couple of years, although recently, members could access extra seasonal gifts or quests.

The biggest update to Runescape in my opinion is the introduction of a 'mock economy' called The Grand Exchange (commonly abbreviated to 'GE' ingame). Originally, to sell items, you would stand in a bank in Varrock, constatly typing your item and your asking price, while another 500 people did exactly the same, eventually resulting in a computer crash, well that's what it was like for me anyway. Now, you can simply put your items in The Grand Exchange, simply specifying how much you want, and giving the quantity, and once someone wants to buy that item comes along, you're simply given the money, and they recieve the item/items. Free members recieve 2 selling/buying slots while members, yes, you guessed it, recieve 6 buying/selling slots. Of course, as stuff is sold cheaply, it's price moves down for the whole of Runescape, and vice versa, meaning if the demand is high, people are willing to pay high prices.

The area of Runescape i spent the most time on was working on my skills. So many times would you be asked your attack level or woodcutting level, as whatever your level was on Runescape seemed to decide how much respect you got, or not in most cases. But as i said before though, i got addicted to this game. For example, you would get to 40 woodcutting, and think, i'm not too far from 41 woodcutting, and so you continue to cut willows down (or maples if you were lucky enough to be a member). You can see how easy it was to get so engrossed with raising them little number all the way to the top level of 99.

In conclusion, Runescape is legendary MMORPG to me, in bad ways and good ways. I would recommend it to anyone as a game, but not one to spend your life on. It's a game you turn to when you have nothing to do, though to some people it's a game you turn to, even if you have something to do.

I'm going to give this game 2 ratings, as i feel it unfair to give this game a low score due to bad graphics and sounds in comparison to the games available today. So i'll give it a game score, and a playability score.

Game score:2/10
Playability score:8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.