GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anybody Explain This To Me ? Please ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/07/03 at 18:24
Regular
I'd really appreciate it if anyone could explain this to me.

I've got a domain and I'm using domain forwarding to utilise my ISP free web space with it, okay ?

I've set that up okay. Now, on the same page where I set the redirection url, there are two other boxes to fill, Redirection meta description and
Redirection meta key .

What kind of stuff should go in them ? I know I've never posted in here, like ever, but if anyone knows it's at least a chance to prove your IT godliness to people :)
Wed 09/07/03 at 12:48
Regular
"Best Price @ GAME :"
Thanks, I don't think you have to enter anything in them to redirect anyone as it already does that anyway. Think I'll email their tech support and ask.
Wed 09/07/03 at 09:16
Regular
META TAGS can be used for numerous things (META meaning 'hidden' or 'behind'). You can use a META TAG to REDIRECT a web page which is what I think the original post was questioning. Use the following:

HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
CONTENT="5; URL="target.html">

Hope this helps...
Wed 09/07/03 at 00:35
Regular
"bing bang bong"
I wouldn't think it was anything to do with search keys, although I could be wrong. Meta tags are usually kept inside the HTML itself, whereas redirections are handled at HTTP level. I've never heard of meta-tags in HTTP though, so disregard everything I say if you like. It still strikes me as wrong :O)
Tue 08/07/03 at 19:04
Regular
Thanks guys, I knew it was related to searches but not how !
Tue 08/07/03 at 18:41
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Well just read what I said and tell me lol It's right under your post:D
Tue 08/07/03 at 18:40
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
.. assuming that what I said is accurate of course :)
Tue 08/07/03 at 18:38
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
YAY me I got something right heh:D
Tue 08/07/03 at 18:34
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Its to do with describing what your web page is about.

For keywords, seperate each word with a comman, and have them refer to your web site, for example, for a games site:

"Playstation, Games, Gamecube, PS2, Mario"

For a description, is just as you'd expect, a short description of your web page, for example:

"News and reviews of all the latest games."

Originally they were used for Search Engine listings, but nowadays, fewer search engines use these, so there isn't really much importance for you to fill them in, but I would anyway.
Tue 08/07/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Emmm I'm not entirely sure but I'm sure "Meta Tags" are when you type in words that identify your site so that if anyone searches for those words on google or something your site comes up. It might have something to do with that but don't count on it.
Tue 08/07/03 at 18:24
Regular
I'd really appreciate it if anyone could explain this to me.

I've got a domain and I'm using domain forwarding to utilise my ISP free web space with it, okay ?

I've set that up okay. Now, on the same page where I set the redirection url, there are two other boxes to fill, Redirection meta description and
Redirection meta key .

What kind of stuff should go in them ? I know I've never posted in here, like ever, but if anyone knows it's at least a chance to prove your IT godliness to people :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.