GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokemon Platinum - First Impressions"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pokemon Platinum'.
Sat 18/04/09 at 22:18
Regular
"THFC"
I am sure most of you are aware that the kind chaps over at Nintendo have decided to release a new addition to the latest Pokemon games on the DS, Pokemon Platinum. Well i have been able to get my hands on it and i have been playing it for a week or so now.

Anyone looking to get this game is going to be a fan of the series and will more than likely have played Diamond & Pearl, well the good news is that there are some changes. How you get your first Pokemon is new, there are some new characters to meet. New battles to take on and the locations have changed in appearance (well some of them) So Nintendo and Game Freaks have been doing some work on this new game and are not just putting a new packet on the Diamond & Pearl games.

Now for some bad news, from the first 1/3 of the game i have played, probably about 98% of it was the same, and it is a shame. I love the Pokemon games, more because i really enjoy RPG's and because you have a massive array of "characters" to choose from and create your favourite party from. It would have been nice to see some new Pokemon (the only new one is a Legendary Pokemon called Giratina i believe) I knew what i was getting when i got the game, and i was happy to play through it again because while they are simple, all the Pokemon games are enjoyable.

I am not sure if everyone will be pleased with paying £30 for a game they have probably all ready got but with just the odd tweak and new bit of text added. Thankfully i did not have to buy the game, and i would have to say that the game will appeal most to those who missed Diamond & Pearl or the most hardcore fans of the Pokemon games and series.

The graphics and the sound is still brilliant and so is the gameplay, as a game there are few faults that can be picked, it really just comes down to the fact that you could get Diamond or Pearl for half the price and have just as much fun playing it because the story is the same, the pokemon are the same, the graphics are the same and so it seems a bit of a rip off and a cheap attempt from Nintendo to make some more money. I would have rather waited longer and seen 10 new pokemon in the game and maybe a change in the story. Something to justify paying £30 for the game.

Well those are my thoughts on the game and while it may seem rather negative, i really have to say the game is great and if your a fan or you missed Diamond or Pearl then i would have to 100% recommend this game.

So has anyone else managed to play this game yet? and what are your thoughts??
Well i hope this has helped anyone who has been looking at this game and were a bit unsure!
Mon 04/05/09 at 19:50
Regular
Perhaps there's a way to combine the continuous sale of football games with new updated players, and the continuous sale of Pokemon games, with new updated Pokemon.

You start out with as a young boy in Soccaaarworld, and P.E. Teacher Monkey-Puzzle decides that because none of the other boys pick you in their football team (now relating to 94.5% of DS players) YOU should go on a journey around Soccaaarworld collecting as many footballers as you can to train them up to be the ultimate playground team!

Uh oh, your friend, Dobnob, is trying to collect a team too! He's very competitive and brash, and is your best friend even though the only time you see him he's trying to defeat you.

Be careful in raising your soccamon, (footamon just doesn't work, and soccamon sounds like Soccer Mom so I like it) as they can easily be defeated if you get too close to a pub/club/hotel with females inside. Remember to praise them constantly or they'll take out their frustrations by beating up various females, which may result in legal battles and media coverage that brings down your reputation.

Everyone will love it because it's got footballers in and everyone knows knowing the names of footballers and what their special skills are is what every boy wants to do.

Blah blah blah etc Soccamon 09/10'
Fri 24/04/09 at 15:50
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
While i don't disagree with you Emmie I still believe my previous statement is more than fair :D

One big difference in the game is when you get your bike in the original.....i believe you get a motorbike in the new ones!!!!!!

The games are just "patches" in the sense that they do not chnage anything. They just add things, and swap some pokemon stats around.

I should also point out that this does not top me playing them. Especially completing one of the newer ones on my flight to Mexico in one sitting :D
Tue 21/04/09 at 16:23
Regular
"THFC"
While that is true, there have always been some big changes, like the a new 50 - 100 Pokemon, which is essentially what i enjoy about the games. Seeing the new types and having a different party from the previous game.

There are new gyms, a slightly different side story with team rocket or galactic (you get the idea) but either way there have been enough changes to make it seem like it has progressed in graphics, gameplay and characters. This time it is exactly the same but with only a few very very minor tweaks.

So while they have milked it in a sense, this really takes the pi** lol
Tue 21/04/09 at 14:51
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Has it not been milked enough already? From what I can tell there was the original game, and then there was..........20 "different" versions of the original game.

For example

"Original"
-Start by getting a pokemon and going on an adventure (from the professor)
-Head onto a path called route 69/74/19/12 etc
-Head into a village
-Head into a gym

"Pokemon Slightly Off Indigo Version"
-Start by getting a pokemon and going on an adventure (from the professor)
-Head onto a path called route 69/74/19/12 etc
-Head into a village
-Head into a gym
Tue 21/04/09 at 10:17
Regular
"THFC"
Have to fully agree with everything you said McLong. Phantom Hour Glass was a great use of the DS and was a good story.

Platinum is a good game, but too close to Diamond and Pearl to justify £30, like i said, it does seem like Nintendo are trying to milk Pokemon even more than usual this time,
Tue 21/04/09 at 10:11
Regular
Got to say that I have loved the previous Pokemon games on the GB/DS, and I was slightly tempted to buy Platinum (and a new DS seeing as I ditched mine a while ago), until I realised it was just another lame spin-off.

I've played a couple of the filler Pokemon games, such as Dungeon Explorer or whatever it was, and it was terrible. However, I did complete that one Butch!

The only future release on the DS that will make me buy a new console is the next Zelda game. Absolutely loved Phantom Hourglass, and let's be fair... they don't really make bad Zelda games.
Tue 21/04/09 at 09:50
Regular
"THFC"
Prof Layton seemed fun from the first 5 puzzles i did, i should have given it more time but Suikoden took over when i had it on DS!!

But when i go on holiday it may be a useful game to get again. You should pick up an R4 and then games like Platinum you can get free and not have to pay for it when you have Diamond.

Worth picking up if your a fan but i could only really say due to the fact there are a few different events and the legendary Pokemon, but £30 aint really worth that lol
Tue 21/04/09 at 08:55
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Nice little review/post Emmie. Myself and McLong were both fans of Diamond and Pearl (despite him not actually finishing it), however, I have always been wary of the 'new' versions they pump out so soon after the original games for the very reasons you mention.

I may give it a look at some point second hand but I am currently more likely to only use my DS again once I pick up a second copy of Prof Layton.
Mon 20/04/09 at 18:17
Regular
"THFC"
Take it no one has played it or has any interest in this game them lol
Sat 18/04/09 at 22:18
Regular
"THFC"
I am sure most of you are aware that the kind chaps over at Nintendo have decided to release a new addition to the latest Pokemon games on the DS, Pokemon Platinum. Well i have been able to get my hands on it and i have been playing it for a week or so now.

Anyone looking to get this game is going to be a fan of the series and will more than likely have played Diamond & Pearl, well the good news is that there are some changes. How you get your first Pokemon is new, there are some new characters to meet. New battles to take on and the locations have changed in appearance (well some of them) So Nintendo and Game Freaks have been doing some work on this new game and are not just putting a new packet on the Diamond & Pearl games.

Now for some bad news, from the first 1/3 of the game i have played, probably about 98% of it was the same, and it is a shame. I love the Pokemon games, more because i really enjoy RPG's and because you have a massive array of "characters" to choose from and create your favourite party from. It would have been nice to see some new Pokemon (the only new one is a Legendary Pokemon called Giratina i believe) I knew what i was getting when i got the game, and i was happy to play through it again because while they are simple, all the Pokemon games are enjoyable.

I am not sure if everyone will be pleased with paying £30 for a game they have probably all ready got but with just the odd tweak and new bit of text added. Thankfully i did not have to buy the game, and i would have to say that the game will appeal most to those who missed Diamond & Pearl or the most hardcore fans of the Pokemon games and series.

The graphics and the sound is still brilliant and so is the gameplay, as a game there are few faults that can be picked, it really just comes down to the fact that you could get Diamond or Pearl for half the price and have just as much fun playing it because the story is the same, the pokemon are the same, the graphics are the same and so it seems a bit of a rip off and a cheap attempt from Nintendo to make some more money. I would have rather waited longer and seen 10 new pokemon in the game and maybe a change in the story. Something to justify paying £30 for the game.

Well those are my thoughts on the game and while it may seem rather negative, i really have to say the game is great and if your a fan or you missed Diamond or Pearl then i would have to 100% recommend this game.

So has anyone else managed to play this game yet? and what are your thoughts??
Well i hope this has helped anyone who has been looking at this game and were a bit unsure!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.