GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I got thinking..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/06/03 at 20:58
Regular
I was thinking about the universe and stuff and got thinking, fairly deeply.

You may or may not have heard of these places where you can buy distant stars and name them yourself. However these stars are suns in solar sytems far far away and there could well be life in plants orbitting these suns. Now if, as we are often told, there is life 'out there' then there could surely be another planet with another scheme like this and our sun may well have already been sold off for a few quid.

I am uncomfortable with this for a number of reasons. Firstly I don't like the idea of some far away alien guy owning the large firely ball of gas that is keeping us all alive right now. Secondly I don't think it is right to purchase something that cannot be owned. A planet can not be bought unless there is a current owner. There is no current owner of Earth, God you may argue is but I would disagree, and there cannot be owners of flaming balls of burning gas and rock. It is absurd to even try to sell something like that.

Anyway, whilst thinging about the universe I though about where the universe ends. We are told the universe is ever-expanding and can be proved by looking at red shift of stars and suchlike. However what is the universe expanding into? There must be something outside of the universe that the universe expands over, there cannot be just nothingness and suddenly becomes something. Nothingness doesn't exist. There are several conclusions I came to; that we are just a tiny part of a somewhat larger existance in another world or universe and our universe is just a part of it, and that universe is part of a larger universe and so on, like those russian dolls that all fit inside of each other. Another possibility I thought of was that everything just ends, like when you scroll right to the end of the map on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Perhaps nothingness does exist and it just cannot be proven.

At this point I felt really scared and insignificant on the large scale of things. So what do you think about 'everything' ?
Wed 18/06/03 at 20:58
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I was thinking about the universe and stuff and got thinking, fairly deeply.

You may or may not have heard of these places where you can buy distant stars and name them yourself. However these stars are suns in solar sytems far far away and there could well be life in plants orbitting these suns. Now if, as we are often told, there is life 'out there' then there could surely be another planet with another scheme like this and our sun may well have already been sold off for a few quid.

I am uncomfortable with this for a number of reasons. Firstly I don't like the idea of some far away alien guy owning the large firely ball of gas that is keeping us all alive right now. Secondly I don't think it is right to purchase something that cannot be owned. A planet can not be bought unless there is a current owner. There is no current owner of Earth, God you may argue is but I would disagree, and there cannot be owners of flaming balls of burning gas and rock. It is absurd to even try to sell something like that.

Anyway, whilst thinging about the universe I though about where the universe ends. We are told the universe is ever-expanding and can be proved by looking at red shift of stars and suchlike. However what is the universe expanding into? There must be something outside of the universe that the universe expands over, there cannot be just nothingness and suddenly becomes something. Nothingness doesn't exist. There are several conclusions I came to; that we are just a tiny part of a somewhat larger existance in another world or universe and our universe is just a part of it, and that universe is part of a larger universe and so on, like those russian dolls that all fit inside of each other. Another possibility I thought of was that everything just ends, like when you scroll right to the end of the map on Roller Coaster Tycoon. Perhaps nothingness does exist and it just cannot be proven.

At this point I felt really scared and insignificant on the large scale of things. So what do you think about 'everything' ?
Wed 18/06/03 at 20:59
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Sorry there are loads of spelling mistakes in this - please try and overlook them!
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:03
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
Hi Kyz
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:05
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Have you been, um...puffing the magic dragon?

Just wondering because of the spelling mistakes and rather “out there” subject.

*Dangles packet of biscuits in front of Kyz*
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:05
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Kyz22 wrote:
> I got thinking...

Be careful.
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:11
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Skorp1on wrote:
> Hi Kyz

Hi
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:12
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
In my view, there is no 'nothingness'. When the universe ends, it simply folds back on itself, or the edge of the universe is the door to the other side of the same universe. If you have played enter the matrix, you will see what I mean. On the training level when you go into that endless corridor, that is actually the same corridor repeating itself, over and over. The problem of what is outside it does not occur, because the same universe that you originated in is outside itself. If this is not clear tell me.
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:13
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
English_Bloke wrote:
> Have you been, um...puffing the magic dragon?

When I was thinking about it I was lying on my back with a spliff

> Just wondering because of the spelling mistakes and rather “out there”
> subject.

I often write about "out there" crap

> *Dangles packet of biscuits in front of Kyz*

Munchies!
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:16
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Skorp1an, the matrix is merely fictional and bears no significance to reality. At least I hope not.
Wed 18/06/03 at 21:19
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
I know that, it was just an example and has nothing to do with my views on the universe, that particular part of the game is a good example of what I was trying to explain though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.