GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Men Ratings"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 09/02/01 at 18:50
Regular
I loved the X-men movie, It was exactly what I had hoped it would be (knowing the constraints that usually exist when transfering comics to 90 minute movies)and I'm eager to get it on DVD soon, but I've just noticed that the DVD is apparently going to be a 12 rated film.

Is this a fair rating for the film? There are some harrowing scenes at the beginning and a quite bit of stylised violence throughout the film, the x-men comic is known for it's fight scenes, so should it have been a 15, or is it too highly rated even at a 12?

I guess it all goes back to how you think violence affects kids, which is a subject that is often discussed on these kind of forums and on television every time a child does something violent and it gets on the news. I personally think that the rating system only works as far as buying or renting films from the shop, once the 'adults' get the film home they can let anyone they like watch the film and it's down to how sensible they are and their judgement.

What do you think? Does it matter what rating a film is given, or have you been affected by the ratings system yourself?
Fri 09/02/01 at 19:12
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I bought X-Men back in November and it got a PG-13 rating for that American disc.

There are a couple of discs in my collection which have different ratings for the UK and Ireland. I'm not certain which ones they are but I'm fairly sure that Austin Powers 2 is a 12 in the UK but a 15 in Ireland. The Mummy is the same, as is Sleepy Hollow. However some films have a higher rating for their UK release than the Irish.

The rating system is a bit of a mess anyway. The Matrix was cut by about 15 seconds for the UK release to allow it to get a 15 rating (thus giving it a wider audience and making more money). If I had known this before hand I would never have bought the Region 2 version. The Mummy is an example of how to do it right - it was a 12 at the cinema but was released uncut on DVD wiht a 15 rating. It shouldn't have been cut in the first place but having the words 'Full Uncut Version' on the front of the box must have shifted a few extra copies

In my opinion the rating system needs to be re-thought out and enforced much more strongly so that films can be shown as they were intended to be - not with scenes cut and cropped just because a person (read: complete nutter) may try to run up a wall and across the ceiling because they've seen someone do it in a film.

How many people grew up watching Road Runner or Tom and Jerry cartoons? How many of those people have ever strapped an ACME rocket to their back to nip down to ASDA to get their dinner quicker? Or run at an ironing board with their mouth open to see if eating it changes the shape of their body? Of all the people I've met in my life, only 2 have tried either of these - and neither tried both.

My mate Chris does have a face shaped like a steam iron but if I told you how that came about I'd be banned from these boards for life....
Fri 09/02/01 at 19:10
"Moderator"
The entire ratings system is a farce, why should other people think that they know better then the people who watch films, films should have a brief out line (maybe even an advisory certificate) but there should be no Laws against the sale of these films to those who dont meet these age requirements.
Fri 09/02/01 at 18:50
"possibly impossible"
I loved the X-men movie, It was exactly what I had hoped it would be (knowing the constraints that usually exist when transfering comics to 90 minute movies)and I'm eager to get it on DVD soon, but I've just noticed that the DVD is apparently going to be a 12 rated film.

Is this a fair rating for the film? There are some harrowing scenes at the beginning and a quite bit of stylised violence throughout the film, the x-men comic is known for it's fight scenes, so should it have been a 15, or is it too highly rated even at a 12?

I guess it all goes back to how you think violence affects kids, which is a subject that is often discussed on these kind of forums and on television every time a child does something violent and it gets on the news. I personally think that the rating system only works as far as buying or renting films from the shop, once the 'adults' get the film home they can let anyone they like watch the film and it's down to how sensible they are and their judgement.

What do you think? Does it matter what rating a film is given, or have you been affected by the ratings system yourself?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.