GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo admits: You were right!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/03/09 at 13:29
Regular
Many of you Wii owners will have very quickly realised that half a gigabyte of memory is not enough to store and play your Wiiware and Virtual Console games on. Some, like myself, will have resorted to using an SD card to back up your games. but this then involves tedious deletion and re-transferring the games on to the Wii system memory to play them.

The Nintendo gaming community rallied together campaigning for an external hard drive compatability that would allow us to save and run our games on the Wii without concerns about how much memory they'll take. Nintendo responded stating the average Wii gamer doesn't suffer any memory-shortage*, despite the ever-increasing catalogue of downloadable channels and games.

So Nintendo fans once again complained about the lack of memory. Nintendo announce they'll look into letting us save our games direct to the SD cards and to include quicker transfer systems to allow us to transfer the games back and fore at ease.

This week, Nintendo lit up our Wiis in that funky light blue to tell us the SD upgrade to the firmware is here! Even better, we can play games straight from the new SD card feature meaning no need to transfer games! I have also read that this upgrade now means the Wii will support 32GB SD memory cards, meaning we can use our SD cards to store anything from music to play in games to epic collections of SNES, N64 and MegaDrive games (potentially, Saturn games should SEGA and Nintendo become that generous with the Wii Virtual Console). Does it deliver on its promises though?

Yes.

After quick tests of Tetris Party (Wiiware), Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (NES), Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), Super Mario World (SNES), New Adventure Island (Turbografx), and Sin & Punishment (N64) I can quite categorically say this feature works, and so far with no hiccups. The games didn’t require any transferring of the save files (still in the Wii memory) to remember where I was or my high scores, but just like using a disc, there’s a short loading period. Thankfully this only took a few seconds even on an N64 game, but when you consider what we had to go through before to ensure there was enough memory available, then it’s barely worth mentioning. The Wii’s auto-save feature that seems to apply when you exit a game to the dashboard saves to the Wii’s System Memory instead of the SD card, but those files can be easily transferred as they take only a fraction of the space the full games actually take.

You could say that this upgrade to the Wii is the equivalent to the release of the Memory Card 251 on the GameCube**. It isn’t revolutionary in that you can play better games, or improve the graphical capabilities of the system in any way, but expands on the Wii’s convienience and hopefully will allow Nintendo fans to regain a small amount of faith in ole Ninty.
Now all we need is for Nintendo to announce the next new handheld and in a few years maybe a system like the Wii with better online capabilities and functionality that rivals the next gen*** Sony and Microsoft machines.

*Thinking our lack of memory will cause us to forget about the problem, maybe?
**Or in my case, the imported Memory Card 1019
***And by that I mean next gen, not current gen that developers and media often hype up by misusing that phrase...
Mon 30/03/09 at 13:29
Regular
Many of you Wii owners will have very quickly realised that half a gigabyte of memory is not enough to store and play your Wiiware and Virtual Console games on. Some, like myself, will have resorted to using an SD card to back up your games. but this then involves tedious deletion and re-transferring the games on to the Wii system memory to play them.

The Nintendo gaming community rallied together campaigning for an external hard drive compatability that would allow us to save and run our games on the Wii without concerns about how much memory they'll take. Nintendo responded stating the average Wii gamer doesn't suffer any memory-shortage*, despite the ever-increasing catalogue of downloadable channels and games.

So Nintendo fans once again complained about the lack of memory. Nintendo announce they'll look into letting us save our games direct to the SD cards and to include quicker transfer systems to allow us to transfer the games back and fore at ease.

This week, Nintendo lit up our Wiis in that funky light blue to tell us the SD upgrade to the firmware is here! Even better, we can play games straight from the new SD card feature meaning no need to transfer games! I have also read that this upgrade now means the Wii will support 32GB SD memory cards, meaning we can use our SD cards to store anything from music to play in games to epic collections of SNES, N64 and MegaDrive games (potentially, Saturn games should SEGA and Nintendo become that generous with the Wii Virtual Console). Does it deliver on its promises though?

Yes.

After quick tests of Tetris Party (Wiiware), Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels (NES), Super Mario Bros 3 (NES), Super Mario World (SNES), New Adventure Island (Turbografx), and Sin & Punishment (N64) I can quite categorically say this feature works, and so far with no hiccups. The games didn’t require any transferring of the save files (still in the Wii memory) to remember where I was or my high scores, but just like using a disc, there’s a short loading period. Thankfully this only took a few seconds even on an N64 game, but when you consider what we had to go through before to ensure there was enough memory available, then it’s barely worth mentioning. The Wii’s auto-save feature that seems to apply when you exit a game to the dashboard saves to the Wii’s System Memory instead of the SD card, but those files can be easily transferred as they take only a fraction of the space the full games actually take.

You could say that this upgrade to the Wii is the equivalent to the release of the Memory Card 251 on the GameCube**. It isn’t revolutionary in that you can play better games, or improve the graphical capabilities of the system in any way, but expands on the Wii’s convienience and hopefully will allow Nintendo fans to regain a small amount of faith in ole Ninty.
Now all we need is for Nintendo to announce the next new handheld and in a few years maybe a system like the Wii with better online capabilities and functionality that rivals the next gen*** Sony and Microsoft machines.

*Thinking our lack of memory will cause us to forget about the problem, maybe?
**Or in my case, the imported Memory Card 1019
***And by that I mean next gen, not current gen that developers and media often hype up by misusing that phrase...
Mon 30/03/09 at 14:21
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I'm so glad they finally gave us a solution to the lack of memory. Think it's about time I download some WiiWare games to celebrate. Any suggestions Edgy on a good game?
Mon 30/03/09 at 14:49
Regular
The only WiiWare game I've really enjoyed so far is Tetris Party...I'm sticking to Virtual Console games at the moment - mainly ones I missed or don't own a copy of myself on other formats.

I've heard the Strongbad games on WiiWare are good if you like point & click adventures.
Mon 30/03/09 at 15:53
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've got the 5 Strong Bad games. Solid point and click adventures that have a lot of fan service in it so if you were thinking about it, it is probably best to learn a bit more from their website.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.