GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"IE8 - first thoughts..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 28/03/09 at 14:00
"Are you sure?"
On March 19th Microsoft's IE8 became 'live'.

It hasn't been released via Windows Update yet so you have to manually download it if you want it.

I hadn't bothered with the beta versions so hadn't had a look at it until today. I haven't sacrificed my main PC but installed in on a family one.

I've only had a short while to play with it and haven't seen anything major to put me off, but there are a few frustrating bits!

I have my IE7 running just the way I like it - so tried to get things looking similar with IE8. In IE7 I've customised the LINKS toolbar to allow quick access to the sites I regularly use. So with a single click I can check the Freeola Status page, visit the forums I'm interested or go to the BBC news etc. I've saved or setup favicons for all these sites so it's tidy and quick to use.

I've got 11 favicons/links showing, followed by a stripped out Google toolbar and all this fits on the one row.

Now with IE8 the LINKS toolbar has become the FAVORITES BAR and try as I might I can't get this to share with my Google toolbar - so it takes up a row all on it's own. This reduces my viewable screen area and worse than that it gets on my nerves!!!

In IE8, Microsoft have gone to the trouble of allowing more toolbar movement and customisation (in theory). At last the home page etc. can be moved about and the built in Search area re-sized. But it looks like areas with toolbars like the new FAVORITES BAR can't be shared with third-party ones.

If anyone knows a hack or get-a-round for this please let me know. I've found lots of others reporting the same problem so I don't think it's just me...

Another irritation is the nag line to:
"Download Windows Search to improve history and favorites results" that is displayed when you type a URL in the address field!

It seems the official way to remove this message is to install or enable the latest Windows Search application. MS have even created a Knowledge Base article telling you this is the way to remove the message! But I don't want to install this "thank you MS!"

It looks as if you can also hide it be turning off autocomplete - but I didn't want to do that either, so I ended up running a Registry *hack* to remove it. It's not an ideal way of dealing with it but it works.

I entered the following in my XP RUN prompt:

EDIT: I went to copy/paste this for another PC fix and realised Freeola's forum s/w strips out the backslashes!!!
Replace the three # symbols with a backslash.

REG ADD "HKLM#SOFTWARE#Microsoft#Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t REG_SZ /d 99 /f
Note: Changing your registry can break things!

This just adds one line telling Windows that you are using Windows Search which keeps it happy and removes the nag message.

On the plus side - some of the new features look quite good.

You are able to re-open browser TABS that you have previously closed, which can be handy.

There are also 'Accelerators' which are just shortcuts really. You can highlight a word and translate it or perform a search using your chosen search engine or go straight to Google Maps or MS Maps etc. all good stuff.

But for now I think I'll keep IE7 on my main PC.
I use IE7PRO which adds lots of additional functionality to IE7 some of which IE8 is copying - for example TABS History and searching from text on the page etc.

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 09/04/09 at 18:26
"Are you sure?"
Sorry to hear you had a few problems jobel602.

IE8 is a 'proper download' - it's a finished product.
MS just haven't moved it to 'Windows Updates' yet.

I know someone who's PC keeps BSOD'ing (Blue Screen Of Death) when they install IE7. Take IE7 off and all is well again.

As every PC is unique these things can happen...
Must be a nightmare for MS to test. I can still remember many problems introduced with XP SP2 where at one point it was thought 1 in 10 PCs were crashing.

You know when MS updates are going to do something 'heavy' when they ask you to 'backup your data first'!

If you aren't all sorted on the backup front then my recent backup thread might be worth a read :¬)

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 09/04/09 at 13:18
Regular
Just a quick note on this. I downloaded IE8 and installed it following their instructions; my comp then crashed and it would not let me do a system restore, download any updates or allow any java to be added so I could do a scan.
I did manage to post a log to knowledgable folk who said that there was no sign of infection but when I tried to do a scan of my system it just kept on crashing.
I then removed IE8 and reinstalled IE7 and my comp is now running much better though there are still one or two glitches that need to be sorted out.
My advice: wait until it becomes a proper update especially if your comp is working fine at the moment.
Sat 28/03/09 at 14:24
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
IE is certainly a step in the right direction! You forgot the F12 key for web developers. At last there is something similar to Firebug for people to use with IE. Now you can find out why IE renders a site differently to every other proper standards compliant browser!
Sat 28/03/09 at 14:00
"Are you sure?"
On March 19th Microsoft's IE8 became 'live'.

It hasn't been released via Windows Update yet so you have to manually download it if you want it.

I hadn't bothered with the beta versions so hadn't had a look at it until today. I haven't sacrificed my main PC but installed in on a family one.

I've only had a short while to play with it and haven't seen anything major to put me off, but there are a few frustrating bits!

I have my IE7 running just the way I like it - so tried to get things looking similar with IE8. In IE7 I've customised the LINKS toolbar to allow quick access to the sites I regularly use. So with a single click I can check the Freeola Status page, visit the forums I'm interested or go to the BBC news etc. I've saved or setup favicons for all these sites so it's tidy and quick to use.

I've got 11 favicons/links showing, followed by a stripped out Google toolbar and all this fits on the one row.

Now with IE8 the LINKS toolbar has become the FAVORITES BAR and try as I might I can't get this to share with my Google toolbar - so it takes up a row all on it's own. This reduces my viewable screen area and worse than that it gets on my nerves!!!

In IE8, Microsoft have gone to the trouble of allowing more toolbar movement and customisation (in theory). At last the home page etc. can be moved about and the built in Search area re-sized. But it looks like areas with toolbars like the new FAVORITES BAR can't be shared with third-party ones.

If anyone knows a hack or get-a-round for this please let me know. I've found lots of others reporting the same problem so I don't think it's just me...

Another irritation is the nag line to:
"Download Windows Search to improve history and favorites results" that is displayed when you type a URL in the address field!

It seems the official way to remove this message is to install or enable the latest Windows Search application. MS have even created a Knowledge Base article telling you this is the way to remove the message! But I don't want to install this "thank you MS!"

It looks as if you can also hide it be turning off autocomplete - but I didn't want to do that either, so I ended up running a Registry *hack* to remove it. It's not an ideal way of dealing with it but it works.

I entered the following in my XP RUN prompt:

EDIT: I went to copy/paste this for another PC fix and realised Freeola's forum s/w strips out the backslashes!!!
Replace the three # symbols with a backslash.

REG ADD "HKLM#SOFTWARE#Microsoft#Windows Search" /v CurrentVersion /t REG_SZ /d 99 /f
Note: Changing your registry can break things!

This just adds one line telling Windows that you are using Windows Search which keeps it happy and removes the nag message.

On the plus side - some of the new features look quite good.

You are able to re-open browser TABS that you have previously closed, which can be handy.

There are also 'Accelerators' which are just shortcuts really. You can highlight a word and translate it or perform a search using your chosen search engine or go straight to Google Maps or MS Maps etc. all good stuff.

But for now I think I'll keep IE7 on my main PC.
I use IE7PRO which adds lots of additional functionality to IE7 some of which IE8 is copying - for example TABS History and searching from text on the page etc.

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.