GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSUs and Graphics cards"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 25/03/09 at 12:24
"possibly impossible"
My brother has offered me a new Hiper PSU (580 watt Type-M) and I believe it will fit my ATX motherboard (Cuba from a Packard Bell i-media 2569 model).

Can anyone confirm this and give me some tips on replacing a PSU?

Also, the reason I'm doing this is because Packard Bell saw fit to only put a measely PSU in my PC case, so I need to upgrade to get a decent graphics card. Any ideas of a good (but fairly cheap) card that would play modern games and be as futureproof as possible?
Fri 27/03/09 at 16:37
"possibly impossible"
If I have to upgrade a whole lot of things then I'm not going to really bother. I've got games consoles for most of my gaming, it's just really the odd one or two things.

Currently I've got 2 1GB DIMMs that are the fastest speed the motherboard will allow and a lowly Core 2 Duo E6300 and nVidia GeForce 7300 SE

The 9400GT actually didn't look too bad for playing the odd game and only cost £39.99
Fri 27/03/09 at 16:03
Regular
Garin wrote:

> Given the specs of your machine, I'm not even sure spending over
> a £100 is worthwhile at all.

Quite true, actually : Also, upgrading your GFX card alone is never usually enough. I'm betting you'll need a faster CPU and RAM to go with that. Most certainly RAM.
Fri 27/03/09 at 15:32
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pb wrote:
> But that's over £100.
>
> So it's basically choose nothing until I can afford a
> £100+ card or get a cheaper one now and be able to play at
> least some games.
>
> I imagine I'll be able to get £100 in about a year.

Given the specs of your machine, I'm not even sure spending over a £100 is worthwhile at all. And you're only going to see any real benefit if you want to ramp up the resolution (assuming your monitor supports it).

The problem with £50 though is that its not a very good price point to come in at in my opinion. Basically what you can get is a low-end card with nicer specs. For £50 you can buy a ATI HD4650 (as Eccles posted) and thats probably the best you can get for that money. But you're then in touching distance of cards that'll give you much better performance for a little extra. An extra £10 will get you a ATI HD4670 or a Nvidia 9600GSO. And another £10 on top of that will get you a Nvidia 9600GT. And all of those offer better price/performance than whats available at <£50 I think.
Fri 27/03/09 at 08:02
"possibly impossible"
But that's over £100.

So it's basically choose nothing until I can afford a £100+ card or get a cheaper one now and be able to play at least some games.

I imagine I'll be able to get £100 in about a year.
Thu 26/03/09 at 22:11
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
> motomoto wrote:
>
>
> For graphics cards, currently I would suggest a ATi 4850 or
> 4830. Partly because I'm a big ATi fan but also because they
> are
> about £100 and will play most currently games with a good
> framerate.
>
> Hm. Anything on PCI-E for about half that price that would do?
> :)
>
> I'd like it to be able to support a Blu-ray drive should I ever
> get one.
>
> I've seen some NVida ones and ATI ones with good reviews for
> £38-£50 andI know some of the more recent gameswill
> not run at full spec with them but a lot of fairly recent ones
> do. (something like the 9400GT or a bit higher perhaps?)

Although acceptable, steer clear of the low / mid - range cards. Push the boat out - Nvidia 9800GTX+ will do the trick :)
Thu 26/03/09 at 22:08
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
And Ati 4650 would fit the bill. Something like this would play most games on moderate settings and would have no problem with Blu-ray playback.
Thu 26/03/09 at 20:03
"possibly impossible"
motomoto wrote:

>
> For graphics cards, currently I would suggest a ATi 4850 or
> 4830. Partly because I'm a big ATi fan but also because they are
> about £100 and will play most currently games with a good
> framerate.

Hm. Anything on PCI-E for about half that price that would do? :)

I'd like it to be able to support a Blu-ray drive should I ever get one.

I've seen some NVida ones and ATI ones with good reviews for £38-£50 andI know some of the more recent gameswill not run at full spec with them but a lot of fairly recent ones do. (something like the 9400GT or a bit higher perhaps?)
Thu 26/03/09 at 08:32
Regular
motomoto wrote:
> Links or its not true... this thread is getting a bit off
> track...

link
Wed 25/03/09 at 21:39
"possibly impossible"
Well, the PSU install worked, but the problem i have now is that a Windows update looks like it's corrupted my Vista. Trying a system restore.

Lucky I have a work laptop (crappy T40) and the kids PC (ok for internet and kids games) downstairs as backups!

Anyway, seems fixed now. Not sure I'll want to let windows run this update again though just yet.
Wed 25/03/09 at 17:27
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
Lian Li <3 A10B please.

Thread is really off track.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.