GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"distorted picture using widescreen DVDs"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/02/01 at 12:21
Regular
having plugged my brand new ps2 into my 28" Bush TV using the supplied AV connecter, I settled down to watch Gladiator special edition on DVD. Unfortunately playback is not 16:9 or full screen, but a weird combination of the two where there is a small black margin at the top and bottom of the screen but the vertical image is stretched and distorted. No amount of fiddling with the system config seemed to have an effect. Whether I tell the console to play in 16:9 or full screen, it always stretches the image on Gladiator. I tried using my old scart connector for my playstation, which allowed the film to be played back in 16:9 letterbox, but turned the screen green! Has anyone had the same problem, and would using a different connector from the one supplied make any difference?
Thu 08/02/01 at 12:21
having plugged my brand new ps2 into my 28" Bush TV using the supplied AV connecter, I settled down to watch Gladiator special edition on DVD. Unfortunately playback is not 16:9 or full screen, but a weird combination of the two where there is a small black margin at the top and bottom of the screen but the vertical image is stretched and distorted. No amount of fiddling with the system config seemed to have an effect. Whether I tell the console to play in 16:9 or full screen, it always stretches the image on Gladiator. I tried using my old scart connector for my playstation, which allowed the film to be played back in 16:9 letterbox, but turned the screen green! Has anyone had the same problem, and would using a different connector from the one supplied make any difference?
Thu 08/02/01 at 12:33
"High polygon count"
> having plugged my brand new ps2 into my 28" Bush TV

Is your TV a Widescreen TV? I'm assuming it isn't.

I have a Sony WEGA 28" Widescreen and this gives me no problems.

However, having also played back The Matrix on my parents 'normal' 4:3 Sony TV, the picture was stretched as you describe. Fortunately, that TV set (which is about 3 years old now) has a 'Widescreen' button, which adjusts the picture to correct the problem.

I *think* I also managed to get rid of the problem using the PS2's settings, but I can't be 100% sure of that.
Thu 08/02/01 at 17:31
Regular
I have the same problem with my 21" Sanyo 4:3 tv. It doesn't make the films unwatchable nut its really anoying that I can't watch my widescreen DVD's in widescreen. Strangely my Dogma DVD plays in widescreen but it's the only DVD I've tried that does.

Oh and by the way if you want to use your PS1 RGB scart cable with your PS2 just pull it out of the back of the PS2 slightly you won't get a green screen anymore but the picture will be composite because of only 15 pins being connected unlike RGB which is 21 pins and gives a superior picture quality. Sony did the green screen to stop piracy.
Sun 11/02/01 at 14:31
After a confusing conversation with customer support, I've solved the problem of distorted playback. Simply put a film in, let it start playing and then press the stop button (so that you get a blank screen with a message informing you that you have to press play to resume). Call up the DVD menu by pressing 'select' on your controller, and go to the 'setup' option. In here you can configure the screen size. When set to 16:9 it stretches on a normal TV, but when set to 4:3 or 4:3 pan scan it plays in original format (Gladiator plays back widescreen like it should!). I had tried this menu before, but apparently when the disk is spinning, the setting cannot be altered from 16:9, a fact not mentioned in the manual!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.