GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[FILM] Marley & Me"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/03/09 at 18:47
Regular
"THFC"
Anyone who has been lucky enough to experience the joy of having a dog will know that a dog is much more than just a four legged animal who wants feeding and walking. If your rich or poor, smart or dull then your dog, rather your friend will always be there to welcome you home and give you attention.

There is something rather special about the bond that humans and dogs share, the first and probably most important thing about this film is that it captures this very feeling. Everything from the happiness on Jennifer Aniston's face when she gets Marley, to the anger her and Owen Wilson share when Marley mis-behaves, it is all believable. Too many films have poor on screen relationships and seem forced, but the film Marley & Me creates a realistic atmosphere with fantastic on screen relationships and it is this that really made me appreciate what a good film this it.

For those of you who are unaware of the book / film - Newly married couple John (Owen Wilson) and Jenny (Jennifer Aniston) decide to move to the sunshine in Florida where after settling in and both finding jobs for different Newspapers, John starts to worry that children are on Jenny's mind. So whilst talking to his friend Sebastian, he decides to get her a puppy for her birthday. Enter the adorable labrador puppy Marley, the couple soon realise that Marley is no normal dog, while he is affectionate and caring he is very mis-behaved. The story then follows the couple on their journey with Marley and the next installments of their lives. It is a great story and one any dog fan will enjoy. But to know more about it you will have to go and see it!

Owen Wilson is most commonly seen as a comedy actor and normally does a great job at it, but in this "romantic comedy" he delivers on all comedy parts and serious aspects. Together with Jennifer Aniston they seem like a real couple and one which i was happy to watch on screen (then again i am always happy to watch Jennifer Aniston on screen) I found myself really getting into the film and wanting to see how the lives of John and Jenny developed. Along with all he highly amusing things that Marley gets up to.

It would have been very easy for the film to fall into a very average one, with every scene focusing on different things Marley does and getting a bit repetitive, but it found a great balance of letting you into the lives of John and Jenny with the funny things Marley does along with moving on and developing a story.

If you enjoy this genre or the actors who make this film such a joy to watch then you will be in for a real treat, it takes you through a great story with some highs and lows and while some aspects are predictable it will still take you by surprise at certain points during the film. I found this one of the better films i have been to see at the cinema in the past few months and while it is not the action packed, superhero film that a lot of people are eager to see at the moment, this is one that you should really not miss.

I have gone on a lot about the good points of the film and while i really did enjoy it that much i touched on predictable moments and this is possibly the biggest flaw, from about 10 minutes in, or if not earlier, you know how the film is going to end, this lets it down a little but the ending, while you are set for what happens, is still filmed brilliantly and i am sure you will be surprised on how much it touches you!
The relationship you build with the characters along the way is the reason for this, the way the film is shot is at times very close, and makes you feel part of the family, so while it may not have been a first choice film with current films and others on the horizon, make sure you catch this great film that is sure to create a spark in even the blackest of hearts!

8.5/10 - just falling short because it is not my favourite genre and a film that mot people will only watch once. So not a good purchase when it comes to DVD!!
Tue 17/03/09 at 09:14
"possibly impossible"
Good review Emmie.

I'll probably like this film, I'm soppy like that! Won't see it at the cinema though, probably wait for rental or Sky Movies.
Tue 17/03/09 at 08:42
Regular
"THFC"
lol - my Mrs hated watchmen aswell, but i was happy going to see Marley and me and Jennifer Aniston is always good to see and i am a dog person!

Thanks for the review comments and i would say get it on DVD for your mrs as i think they are liable to watch it more than once, but not many blokes would!
Tue 17/03/09 at 07:26
Regular
"I like turtles"
Nice review Emmie,be surprised if this film was for me though.The Mrs. wanted to see it but I convinced her she would really like Watchmen more.She hated it with a passion (as it was overlong and in places pretty boring as well TBH).Marley & me is out in the US on DVD/Blu ray at the end of next week so might pick her one up (and give it to her one night I'm off to the pub !).Kind of looks like the Andrex puppy movie to me !.
Mon 16/03/09 at 20:42
Regular
"Metal.. Gear?!?"
nice review
Mon 16/03/09 at 18:47
Regular
"THFC"
Anyone who has been lucky enough to experience the joy of having a dog will know that a dog is much more than just a four legged animal who wants feeding and walking. If your rich or poor, smart or dull then your dog, rather your friend will always be there to welcome you home and give you attention.

There is something rather special about the bond that humans and dogs share, the first and probably most important thing about this film is that it captures this very feeling. Everything from the happiness on Jennifer Aniston's face when she gets Marley, to the anger her and Owen Wilson share when Marley mis-behaves, it is all believable. Too many films have poor on screen relationships and seem forced, but the film Marley & Me creates a realistic atmosphere with fantastic on screen relationships and it is this that really made me appreciate what a good film this it.

For those of you who are unaware of the book / film - Newly married couple John (Owen Wilson) and Jenny (Jennifer Aniston) decide to move to the sunshine in Florida where after settling in and both finding jobs for different Newspapers, John starts to worry that children are on Jenny's mind. So whilst talking to his friend Sebastian, he decides to get her a puppy for her birthday. Enter the adorable labrador puppy Marley, the couple soon realise that Marley is no normal dog, while he is affectionate and caring he is very mis-behaved. The story then follows the couple on their journey with Marley and the next installments of their lives. It is a great story and one any dog fan will enjoy. But to know more about it you will have to go and see it!

Owen Wilson is most commonly seen as a comedy actor and normally does a great job at it, but in this "romantic comedy" he delivers on all comedy parts and serious aspects. Together with Jennifer Aniston they seem like a real couple and one which i was happy to watch on screen (then again i am always happy to watch Jennifer Aniston on screen) I found myself really getting into the film and wanting to see how the lives of John and Jenny developed. Along with all he highly amusing things that Marley gets up to.

It would have been very easy for the film to fall into a very average one, with every scene focusing on different things Marley does and getting a bit repetitive, but it found a great balance of letting you into the lives of John and Jenny with the funny things Marley does along with moving on and developing a story.

If you enjoy this genre or the actors who make this film such a joy to watch then you will be in for a real treat, it takes you through a great story with some highs and lows and while some aspects are predictable it will still take you by surprise at certain points during the film. I found this one of the better films i have been to see at the cinema in the past few months and while it is not the action packed, superhero film that a lot of people are eager to see at the moment, this is one that you should really not miss.

I have gone on a lot about the good points of the film and while i really did enjoy it that much i touched on predictable moments and this is possibly the biggest flaw, from about 10 minutes in, or if not earlier, you know how the film is going to end, this lets it down a little but the ending, while you are set for what happens, is still filmed brilliantly and i am sure you will be surprised on how much it touches you!
The relationship you build with the characters along the way is the reason for this, the way the film is shot is at times very close, and makes you feel part of the family, so while it may not have been a first choice film with current films and others on the horizon, make sure you catch this great film that is sure to create a spark in even the blackest of hearts!

8.5/10 - just falling short because it is not my favourite genre and a film that mot people will only watch once. So not a good purchase when it comes to DVD!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.