GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"16MB Broadband"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/03/09 at 16:05
Regular
I did a check today on SKY web site to see what speeds were available in my area for a friend who is moving into the village, I was shocked when it said download speeds between 8 and 16MB. I checked my line number same answer, yet living so close to the exchange I have never hit 8MB this is blatant miss selling by sky and other ISPs should not allow Sky to get away with this type of advert, get in there freeola kick some a** get them reported to the ISP watchdog :-) it gives the impression that 8MB would be thew minimum speed and 16 the top speed yet there is still no date to upgrade our exchange.

Digi
Mon 09/03/09 at 16:05
Regular
I did a check today on SKY web site to see what speeds were available in my area for a friend who is moving into the village, I was shocked when it said download speeds between 8 and 16MB. I checked my line number same answer, yet living so close to the exchange I have never hit 8MB this is blatant miss selling by sky and other ISPs should not allow Sky to get away with this type of advert, get in there freeola kick some a** get them reported to the ISP watchdog :-) it gives the impression that 8MB would be thew minimum speed and 16 the top speed yet there is still no date to upgrade our exchange.

Digi
Mon 09/03/09 at 16:50
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
No comment!

'Speeds will also vary throughout the day, and are often slower at peak times for internet usage worldwide (5pm til 12am GMT).' So does that mean the internet across the world slow downs during these times? I didn't think the world ran on GMT!

Also what is a 'MAC code'? Migration Authorisation Code code? I suppose it's like being asked for your PIN number.
Tue 10/03/09 at 17:48
Regular
"But less irrational"
Digitrader wrote:
> I did a check today on SKY web site to see what speeds were
> available in my area for a friend who is moving into the village,
> I was shocked when it said download speeds between 8 and 16MB. I
> checked my line number same answer, yet living so close to the
> exchange I have never hit 8MB

Just to rule out the obvious, but I presume you have an ADSL2+ modem or router, which has a maximum download speed of 24 Mbps? If you just have the original ADSL then the maximum download speed you could get would be 8 Mbps, even if the line was capable of more.

Other possible culprits could be poor telephone wiring inside your house, or the use of a telephone extension cable, as these can cause interference and so limit the maximum speed.
Tue 10/03/09 at 18:52
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah no Digi lives in a small village that will probably never see any other provider other that BT have equipment in the local exchange (like the village I live in). The problem is that it says he could get up to 16MB, which is impossible as there is no LLU provider and no BT 21CN at his exchange.
I think he was making the point that the site seemed not to take any of these facts into consideration.

He's got a fairly new Zyxel 6 series router I believe that does ADSL2+ quite happily given half a chance.
Wed 11/03/09 at 12:44
Regular
Spot on Eccles word perfect cheers :-)

Digi

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.