GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Image Orientation"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/02/09 at 15:36
Regular
Hi,

I am having difficulty getting 'Portrait' oriented images to appear correctly on my gallery pages. I'm uploading at 900 x 600 px and the 'landscape' images are OK but The portrait images are being stretched to fit landscape.

Any Ideas?

Tks
NKPix
Wed 04/03/09 at 18:14
Regular
Thanks for the clarification. I'll look forward to the upgrade because I was hoping that the Instant Pro service would be ideal for building an online portfolio without me having to get involved in HTML.

It may be that I will end up doing my own thing and opting for your Hosting service rather that the Instant Pro. We'll just take it one step at a time I guess.

Many Thanks

NKPix
Sun 01/03/09 at 00:13
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ah, user agent seems ok.

Just a note, Java and Javascript are not the same thing. Javascript is a browser side (as opposed to scripting run on the web server) scripting language built into browsers. Java Runtime, which you updated, is the piece of software that allows Java applications to run in your browser. We require you to have Java installed to use the InstantPro image uploader but you also need Javascript enabled in your browser (usually is by default).

Javascript is used on your gallery page to proportionally resize the large view of an image in relation to the browser window size. This means images that have dimensions greater than the browser window can be viewed with no scroll bars showing. You'll find that if you right click the image thumbnail and select to Open link in new tab in Firefox you will get the full size image.

I'm not sure why your IE is failing to proportionally resize the image correctly but the only thing left to try is to waiting until the next upgrades are made to InstantPro in a few weeks as this introduces XHTML compliant pages, so perhaps your IE will behave correctly then. In the mean time I think you're fairly safe to assume that the majority of IE7 users will have no problems with your gallery pages as no one else has reported this problem before.
Sat 28/02/09 at 20:05
Regular
Thanks Eccles,

Here's the useragentstring result that you asked for:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Just for good measure I updated my Java to v1.6.0.12 but that made no difference other than a slightly more stable display.

Many thanks for all the help on this problem. It has been an impressive response and it is well appreciated.

Regards
NKPix
Sat 28/02/09 at 17:53
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
One other thing to try. Visit http://www.useragentstring.com/ and paste what it reports in the top box of the site back here. For instance my browser is reported as Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6.
We have come across an IE bug only this week that means IE incorrectly has IE6 in it's user agent string, which the Javascript we use may pick up on. If that is the case and I haven't already put in the fix then it should be an easy one to correct.
Sat 28/02/09 at 14:29
Regular
Ah! Sorry Eccles. I'm so engrossed in this 'irritating' little problem I'm not even reading straight :-

I have some progress.

Before trying the 'Good' PC and running the risk of loosing my good comparison I have uploaded two further images.

1. A new image reduced to 560x372 px to eliminate any on the fly resizing. This WORKS! no stretching.

2. To cross check the results I reworked the Staithes08-012 image and reduced that to the same size and re-uploaded it as Test2. That also WORKS!

So, my initial conclusions are that using IE7, the PC on which the uploads are made with the initial resizing exhibits the 'Stretching' problem. If there is no resizing then the images are OK.

I need to check now to see if the same thing happens with Firefox.
If not, I guess we have to write it down to one of mr Gates' many undocumented features. That guy could get a good career in IT ;-)

Regards
NKPix

UPDATE
OK, I've checked Firefox and as expected it is clean - absolutely no problems at all.

The same uploads with IE7 show the stretching problem when viewed on the same machine that they were uploaded from. There was just one exception which kind of illustrates that the problem has a random element to it.

I really don't know what, if anything, can be done to eliminate it other than for me to use Firefox wherever possible. At least the problem is not visible (I hope) to site visitors as demonstrated by your initial responses to my post. I know from experience that with these sort of problems we end up working to acommodate the vagueries of MS. It would be good to hear if your Teckkys can clear it up.

OK, back to the image editing for a while.

Thanks
NKPix
Sat 28/02/09 at 13:30
"Are you sure?"
All very strange...

FTP ?:
Unfortunately you can't use normal FTP to access an Instant Site.

Eccles ?:
He's the Freeola staffie who contributed earlier to your thread!

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 28/02/09 at 13:03
Regular
Ok,

I've reset IE7 to 'Factory Defaults' and cleared out all the history , temps etc. again. I've added a new portrait image and that also is getting the 'stretch' treatment. All is still OK on our other PC (IE7) and Firefox on my own PC though.

There is a common theme here. Both the PCs that are affected are the ones that I have uploaded images from. The other PCs that are OK, I haven't. Its a tentative link, but can I FTP the images to instant pro? Meanwhile I will upload from our other PC and see if the problem appears on that also.

I might be missing something here (not been around the site very long yet), but who the heck is Eccles? If I'm guessing right I'm a big fan also ;-)

Regards
NKPix
Sat 28/02/09 at 11:11
"Are you sure?"
Still works fine for me :¬)

I still think it might be due to the cached JavaScript libraries that the lightbox/thickbox gallery uses. But you said you've cleared your temp. internet files etc. so it shouldn't really be that.

Some things to try:

~Clear your temp IE files again!

~Try CTRL+F5 to reload the page.

~Try adding another portrait style image (with a different name) and see if that displays correctly.

~Try opening IE7 without any 'addons' (right-hand click desktop IE icon and open without addons).

~Wait for Eccles to take a look!...

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 28/02/09 at 09:46
Regular
Hi,

I've just added a screen shot of the IE7 error to my site.

http://www.nckphotography.co.uk

I loaded up Firefox last night and, as you say, the problem doesn't happen.

Interestingly my wifes PC also running IE7 doesn't have the problem either - so whatever it is it is fairly random.

Any ideas please?

Regards
NKPix
Fri 27/02/09 at 18:27
Regular
OK!

Now I'm at home on my own XP machine with much the same setup and I'm still getting the same problem.

I run a pretty tidy browser anyway but I have just cleared out the cache etc with no change. I have no toolbars either. I'm going to look at firefox later to try and pin it down to IE7 if I can - although I thought Microsoft had managed to tame the beast by now.

Glad you like the Pics :-) There's a lot more to come but I need to sort this first - especially since the majority of visitors, I guess, will be using IE of some description.

Regards
NKPix

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.