GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2Mbps to be minimum"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/02/09 at 19:52
"possibly impossible"
BBC News

Lord Carter has said that he plans to get everyone on a minimum of 2Mbps Broadband by 2012. Others have critised this as too slow but it's not what Carter really means.

Many people, including myself, can only get around 1Mbps or even less and although I'd welcome much higher speeds, I feel that he's being realistic and ensuring everyone has basic access to the internet. iPlayer and streaming video CAN work over this speed and he's not saying that the rest of the country should be on the same speed.

Anyway, I'd like your thoughts on this. Is he using the right strategy?
Thu 26/02/09 at 09:02
"possibly impossible"
I believe the idea is (as it currently stands) to support business and education first anyway, so schools will always get as high a speed as possible.

Then it's a case of encouraging them to support that with good Technology teams. Our kids primary school is pretty good and I like to keep up to date with what they are using.

I'm hoping that i can then have a hand in the decisions as they like parents to be involved with the school as much as possible.
Wed 25/02/09 at 21:37
Regular
YH wrote:
6 or 7 years ago everyone could do what they
> needed to on dial-up...

I agree - but I'm thinking from a political point of view, education is an important thing. And being able to stream media in decent quality to assist with research is an aid to education (and a good escuse - politically to raise the minimum standard)

I used to manage quite happily on dial-up.
Wed 25/02/09 at 16:30
Regular
"Mooching around"
Maybe so, but by 2012 I bet the common browser would only need is only around 512k.
Wed 25/02/09 at 16:13
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> I agree that its a good idea. It allows people to do everything
> they need to do on the internet.

Only at the moment. 6 or 7 years ago everyone could do what they needed to on dial-up...
Wed 25/02/09 at 14:07
Regular
"Mooching around"
2Mbps is fine, I get along fine with less than that, and it's a great thing to try and get everyone to that speed.
Tue 24/02/09 at 21:41
Regular
I agree that its a good idea. It allows people to do everything they need to do on the internet.

Everything else is a luxury.
Tue 24/02/09 at 19:52
"possibly impossible"
BBC News

Lord Carter has said that he plans to get everyone on a minimum of 2Mbps Broadband by 2012. Others have critised this as too slow but it's not what Carter really means.

Many people, including myself, can only get around 1Mbps or even less and although I'd welcome much higher speeds, I feel that he's being realistic and ensuring everyone has basic access to the internet. iPlayer and streaming video CAN work over this speed and he's not saying that the rest of the country should be on the same speed.

Anyway, I'd like your thoughts on this. Is he using the right strategy?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.