GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Using Frames in Websites - Give it a go !"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/10/06 at 10:48
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
What is a frame?

Frames can be a key element in websites. Not all sites incorporate frames, but that doesn't stop them from being extremely useful. The basic idea of franes is to display several HTML pages in the same browser window. This can be made to look obvious or subtle through using various tags to customise the appearance.

Making your first frame

<frameset>
<frame src="/frame_here.htm">
</frameset>

Ok. What does that do?

This code makes a frame in the webpage and displays frame_here.htm within it. To get this to work for you just replace frame_here.htm with the location of whatever you want to put in the frame.

Note: NEVER put other websites' pages into your own pages without getting permission from them first. It is possible to put scripts into your site which prevent other sites from using your pages in their frames.

Now that i've got that out of the way, time to crack on with the fun stuff!

Customising the frame

As you may notice if the page which you are displaying on your website is too big to fit in the default size frame box on the page, it can be altered so it does. The page that i am displaying currently in the frame throws up a load of scrollbars which look particularly ugly.

<frameset cols="25%,25%,25%,25%">
<frame src="my_frame.htm">
</frameset>

This will generate a frame in which my_frame.htm will only take up 25% of the total frame space. We have defined the amount of frame space by using this code:

This can be seen aswell as :

<frameset cols="25%,50%,25%">

This basically divides the frame into sections of 25% of the total area of the frame. This is called a vertical frameset as it alters the amount of space taken by the frame as it moves vertically along the page. If we wanted my_frame.htm to take up 50% of the area of the frame we would use:

<frameset cols="50%,50%">

Resizing frames

As you may have noticed the frames' size can be changed by the website viewer themselves. They can click the grey border and drag the frame to whatever size they like. We can stop them from doing this if we want.

noresize="noresize"

Just add this to the frame tag like so -

<frameset cols="10%,90%" noresize="noresize">

Using the horizontal frame

Not only can frames be designed to take up a certain percentage of the width of the frame they can be told how much space to take up as you go down the frame. Don't get confused though. It's called the horizontal frame set because it changes the frame as it moves horizontally down the page.

<frameset rows="90%,10%">

This can be designed like the vertical frameset to take up certain portions of space.

Should you use frames or not:

There are ongoing arguments for and against using frames in a webpage. To be honest i think it's down to personal opinion. If you like frames, find them useful and they fit in well with your site then go ahead and frame-ify you whole page.

Experiment to your heart's content with frames and framesets to see if they work for you.

I hope you found this useful - thanks for reading!

Nitro_Goat
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Fri 13/10/06 at 10:48
"nitrogoat.co.uk"
What is a frame?

Frames can be a key element in websites. Not all sites incorporate frames, but that doesn't stop them from being extremely useful. The basic idea of franes is to display several HTML pages in the same browser window. This can be made to look obvious or subtle through using various tags to customise the appearance.

Making your first frame

<frameset>
<frame src="/frame_here.htm">
</frameset>

Ok. What does that do?

This code makes a frame in the webpage and displays frame_here.htm within it. To get this to work for you just replace frame_here.htm with the location of whatever you want to put in the frame.

Note: NEVER put other websites' pages into your own pages without getting permission from them first. It is possible to put scripts into your site which prevent other sites from using your pages in their frames.

Now that i've got that out of the way, time to crack on with the fun stuff!

Customising the frame

As you may notice if the page which you are displaying on your website is too big to fit in the default size frame box on the page, it can be altered so it does. The page that i am displaying currently in the frame throws up a load of scrollbars which look particularly ugly.

<frame src="my_frame.htm">
</frameset>

This will generate a frame in which my_frame.htm will only take up 25% of the total frame space. We have defined the amount of frame space by using this code:

This can be seen aswell as :

<frameset cols="25%,50%,25%">

This basically divides the frame into sections of 25% of the total area of the frame. This is called a vertical frameset as it alters the amount of space taken by the frame as it moves vertically along the page. If we wanted my_frame.htm to take up 50% of the area of the frame we would use:

<frameset cols="50%,50%">

Resizing frames

As you may have noticed the frames' size can be changed by the website viewer themselves. They can click the grey border and drag the frame to whatever size they like. We can stop them from doing this if we want.

noresize="noresize"

Just add this to the frame tag like so -

<frameset cols="10%,90%" noresize="noresize">

Using the horizontal frame

Not only can frames be designed to take up a certain percentage of the width of the frame they can be told how much space to take up as you go down the frame. Don't get confused though. It's called the horizontal frame set because it changes the frame as it moves horizontally down the page.

<frameset rows="90%,10%">

This can be designed like the vertical frameset to take up certain portions of space.

Should you use frames or not:

There are ongoing arguments for and against using frames in a webpage. To be honest i think it's down to personal opinion. If you like frames, find them useful and they fit in well with your site then go ahead and frame-ify you whole page.

Experiment to your heart's content with frames and framesets to see if they work for you.

I hope you found this useful - thanks for reading!

Nitro_Goat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.