GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Play Control!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/02/09 at 11:19
"possibly impossible"
Play Control! Is an interesting concept from Nintendo.

Take some old (mostly) classic Gamecube games and add Wii remote actions, a touch up here and there and a few extra options, then re-package. It sounds like Nintendo have started getting into the idea of recycling at first, but it does make a lot of sense.

The first set of games to come out on this label in Europe will be Pikmin 1 and 2, Mario Power Tennis and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Bar the last game these are classics, but Donkey Kong itself could end up benefitting greatly from the updated control system and a complete change of current levels and gameplay.

Other releases include the great little quirky Chibi-robo and the classic Metroid Prime 1 and 2, making a welcome comeback to join the Wii Metroid Prime 3.

Nintendo are thinking outside the box here, but it’s a great idea, It’s a cheaper to use existing code from previous games and add a little touch here and there. Gamecube games are harder to find in shops and many Wii owners will have never owned a Gamecube, so this highlights many of the games they will have missed the first time around while adding controls they may feel more comfortable with.

If the titles do well then I hope this is the start of something bigger. There are some great cube games that would benefit from a second lease of life with new controls and levels;

Mario Sunshine – an under-rated classic could be greatly improved with Wii controls.

Luigi's Mansion – This short release game could have extra levels and Wii vacuuming would be great.

Wave Race: Blue Storm – better than a lot of the Wii racers out there, Wave Race would make a welcome return (maybe with Online play?)

1080° Avalanche – A great snow boarding game that was one of the few online Gamecube games, now more people can experience the online snowboarding.

Obviously that’s just the Nintendo games, if other companies got in on the act we could see some great titles finally get the recognition they deserved the first time around.
Mon 16/02/09 at 11:19
"possibly impossible"
Play Control! Is an interesting concept from Nintendo.

Take some old (mostly) classic Gamecube games and add Wii remote actions, a touch up here and there and a few extra options, then re-package. It sounds like Nintendo have started getting into the idea of recycling at first, but it does make a lot of sense.

The first set of games to come out on this label in Europe will be Pikmin 1 and 2, Mario Power Tennis and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Bar the last game these are classics, but Donkey Kong itself could end up benefitting greatly from the updated control system and a complete change of current levels and gameplay.

Other releases include the great little quirky Chibi-robo and the classic Metroid Prime 1 and 2, making a welcome comeback to join the Wii Metroid Prime 3.

Nintendo are thinking outside the box here, but it’s a great idea, It’s a cheaper to use existing code from previous games and add a little touch here and there. Gamecube games are harder to find in shops and many Wii owners will have never owned a Gamecube, so this highlights many of the games they will have missed the first time around while adding controls they may feel more comfortable with.

If the titles do well then I hope this is the start of something bigger. There are some great cube games that would benefit from a second lease of life with new controls and levels;

Mario Sunshine – an under-rated classic could be greatly improved with Wii controls.

Luigi's Mansion – This short release game could have extra levels and Wii vacuuming would be great.

Wave Race: Blue Storm – better than a lot of the Wii racers out there, Wave Race would make a welcome return (maybe with Online play?)

1080° Avalanche – A great snow boarding game that was one of the few online Gamecube games, now more people can experience the online snowboarding.

Obviously that’s just the Nintendo games, if other companies got in on the act we could see some great titles finally get the recognition they deserved the first time around.
Mon 16/02/09 at 19:14
Regular
When this New Play Control range was announced, I heard read a mixed bag of views on the subject. There were longterm Nintendo fans who had GameCube saying, "Why not release new games for the hardcore fans instead" and those who were new to Nintendo...or atleast skipped a generation or two celebrating that they'll have the chance to play some of Nintendo's classic games, on a system not too dissimilar to the GameCube anyway.

I'm in-between in that I'm glad they're doing it. I see huge potential benefits for developers and gamers alike. However, owning most Nintendo games I'd want to play, I'm unlikely to 'catch 'em all'. For example, Pikmin & Pikmin 2 are playable now on my Wii, so there's no point in me bothering with the re-releases. Mario Tennis I sold a while ago, so I would benefit from playing with Wii-controls - if I read that they've taken away the stupid power shots anyway. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is again on my 'Cube, and although I played Metroid 1 & 2, I found the 'Cube controls weren't that great for the game. I've recently ordered MP3 in anticipation of these two re-relases so I can see if the Wii controls really have improved the game. Chibi-Robo doesn't sound like my kind of game...but I may try it at the right price.

There are a few games already out though that could be classed as New Play Control...and I think they may gather a few sales if repackaged to fit the series...or may just encourage other developers to re-release their games. Resident Evil 4 was one of the first, as well as House of the Dead 1&2. Twilight Princess...although virtually a simultaneous launch was redesigned with Wii controls in mind (even making Link right-handed for it to work!).

I wouldn't mind seeing games like TimeSplitters 2 done in New Play Control. Or maybe Geist. Baten Kaitos would benefit from quick menu selection and Wind Waker could be tweaked for using the Wii-mote as the Wind Baton. I'd like to see how the re-release of Metal Gear Solid would fare with Wii controls too.

It's not to say I'd try them all, but we're in recession. Recycling old good games would benefit all. As long as there's still something new for those who have played them.
Tue 31/03/09 at 12:55
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Well The New Play releases have hit us now. Wondered if Mario Power Tennis was worth picking up? Looking for something to play with my friends.
Tue 31/03/09 at 19:14
Regular
I ended up buying Mario Power Tennis - If you don't use the Nunchuck its basically Wii Sports Tennis with Mario characters.

My fiancée and I are enjoying it though :D
Tue 31/03/09 at 20:36
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Think'll try the nunchuck option. Like a bit of a challenge. Thanks Edgy. I think I'll head down my local Blockbuster and pick it up later.
Tue 31/03/09 at 23:02
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
I am now the owner of Mario Power Tennis. Gonna have a quick go on it before bed and then get some friends over tomorrow for a session. I'll write back my impressions on it tomorrow.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.