GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Memory cards.....possibilities"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/02/01 at 14:28
Regular
You don't see many games these days that don't use a memory card for something, be it levels you've opened, your position in a game or whatever. I'd like so see memory cards doing a little more.
Consider any competetive game between two or more players. Now what I'm thinking is that it surely must be possible to somehow keep a log of a players actions, which could then be anaylsed, processed and saved - et voila - you have a saved copy of a friends gaming style to compete against.
This hasn't really been a feasable concept until now. With ever more powerful consoles and memory card capacity growing at quite a pace, I don't see why this couldn't be done. Admittedly it would not be an easy thing to develop, but being able to play your friend without them being there, it's something you woudn't turn your nose up at, yes?

Take Quake, for example.
You'd need some attributes, eg accuracy, how frequently the y collect ammo etc, and how they respond to different situations. Given that computers are good at recognising patterns you can spot tendancies, then add some random factor to help model the supposedly random aspect of human nature, and you're done.

Being able to play against youself? Priceless.
Fri 02/02/01 at 19:13
Regular
Or maybe they could store your fav music for each game.
Fri 02/02/01 at 19:12
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Hey thats a really good idea... and it would be pretty simple to execute as well!...

You could work from a range of attributes... from accuracy and hit ratio, etc...

You could get the program to watch how a player plays the game a copy certain aspects of play... e.g commonly used tactics, popular moves... the more the person plays the more infomration is stored...

And with a good coder, you could probably squeese a good level of all the required info into a standard PSX cart... even get your mate to add a few comments, or samples of expressions for novelty value! :)
Fri 02/02/01 at 17:26
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Memory cards have been quite an asset to the videogames industry, they have widened up games, allowed the transfer of data and files from console to console, but they do have their problems. Memory cards are the only reason that any of the No Mercy cartridges were faulty in the first place, and incase you didn't know if you take your memory pack out and reset the setting the game will not delete!

Although they have their problems and they have advanced in technology quite a way, I still think that the GAMECUBE and X-Box, if they don't have internal memory need memory cards because of two things 1 being that people want to share charachters etc, and the other is that people want to save games/files and what have you.

I am not quite sure if we are in the age of human imitation memory cards, I am sure that NASA are but I don't think they are going to divulge their secret to Nintendo for a couple of £Mil. The Gamecube has 4 memory slots which all the world can see but I wonder if Nintendo have done anything else with them, regardless of basic features, I think that they should do a bit extra with them, more features. You must remember that every single little detail and add-on to a console will increase the number of buyers and overall sales, I am not a businessman , I don't have a GCSE in business or anything but you can see how good memory cards will just add to the reputation the XB or the GC can make for itself!

The Game
Fri 02/02/01 at 17:08
Regular
Don't you wish memory cards could be a bit like those VMU's the Dreamcast uses?
And look how Perfect Dark uses the memory card, when you save your game you can carry on playing your game from the memory card on your mate's game, then you can save your own character in and take it to play your mate, and if you go up a ranking it is good.
It's a good idea if people could share information with each other, but with cartridges out of the frame soon, we can't have the in game saving any more.
We will need memory everytime and look how expensive they are. Would be nice if the data was made smaller but that would things more difficult for us, just like some third party cards, never buy them unless you know they are good.
What if we use the large memory instead to save stuff to be like a hard disk that stores or your pics, music and movies off the internet and then access it from menu ala PS2.
I quite remember if you have a disk you could access your save games or files? If only we didn't need CD's in the Drive, like PC's.
Fri 02/02/01 at 15:17
Regular
"smile, it's free"
ortega wrote:
> yeah but could a computer could never actually impercinate a human
> could it? thats scary s**t man

A computer game is a digital world with a limited number of possibilities. In this sort of envirornment it certainly should be possible for computers to imitate humans to a significant degree of accuracy.
Fri 02/02/01 at 14:58
Regular
"smile, it's free"
It might take a lot of programming, but innovative features sell games.

Perhaps evetually it could grow more complex, and ultimately you'd have one software program stored in the console's hardware, or on a special peripheral.
For the sake of arguement, we'll call this the 'player pack'. All games would have the potential to interact with this 'player pack', if they were programmed to be compatible, (which in theory, would take a minimum of effort...set a few parameters of whatever) then the 'player pack' would be able to interpret data for that game. The vast majority of the programming and development required would go into the 'player pack' itself, rather than the game, thereby keeping the increase in cost of the game mimimal.

The developers then make a mint by selling the 'player pack'. They would go down better than Ferrero Rocher at the Ambassador's reception.

Fri 02/02/01 at 14:53
Regular
yeah but could a computer could never actually impercinate a human could it? thats scary s**t man
Fri 02/02/01 at 14:33
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Good idea, but it'll probably take too much programming for a small feature.

But I like the idea if being able to practice against you mate when he isn't there so when he is you can give him a good thrashing - TTT would be good for this!
Fri 02/02/01 at 14:28
Regular
"smile, it's free"
You don't see many games these days that don't use a memory card for something, be it levels you've opened, your position in a game or whatever. I'd like so see memory cards doing a little more.
Consider any competetive game between two or more players. Now what I'm thinking is that it surely must be possible to somehow keep a log of a players actions, which could then be anaylsed, processed and saved - et voila - you have a saved copy of a friends gaming style to compete against.
This hasn't really been a feasable concept until now. With ever more powerful consoles and memory card capacity growing at quite a pace, I don't see why this couldn't be done. Admittedly it would not be an easy thing to develop, but being able to play your friend without them being there, it's something you woudn't turn your nose up at, yes?

Take Quake, for example.
You'd need some attributes, eg accuracy, how frequently the y collect ammo etc, and how they respond to different situations. Given that computers are good at recognising patterns you can spot tendancies, then add some random factor to help model the supposedly random aspect of human nature, and you're done.

Being able to play against youself? Priceless.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.