GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo will they suffer the same fate as Sega"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/01/01 at 23:48
Regular
Nintendo have been around for along time now, and they have been through alot of rough patches, but nothing like what they will face if they keep dropping behind Sony.

Nintendo I think are the greatest console makers of all time, but due to the time difference of the release of the Gamecube and the PS2 they will start to fall behind. OK maybe the Gamecube is supposed to be an all around better console than the PS2 but with the 2 year release date difference most people will get fed up of waiting and turn to the PS2.

I think that most people would agree with me here by saying that the N64 was the greatest console of it's time, but there are more powerful consoles out and Nintedo are still constructing. The PS2 has already sold over half of of what the N64 has sold all over the world, and if Nintendo take the to long to release the Gamecube they will suffer the same fate as Sega.

I don't know if any of you know this but recently the owner of Nintendo turned down a contract offer from square which could've of boosted the sales of the Gamecube when it is released. Many people would say that Nintendo won't need the developing expertise fromn square with all the great games that will be made by RARE and themselves, but they can't just count on themselves and RARE to hold them together, if you ask me they will need all the help they can get with a release date as late as it is.

I don't want to sound like i'm putting Nintendo down because i'm not, but they do need to improve on the tactics they are using. I thought they would of tried to improve on the mistake they made when they released the N64, but they haven't they are still taking to long to releases their console and Sony are getting alll the public support.

Raven

P.S. i only posted my last message because i was bored
Wed 31/01/01 at 23:48
Nintendo have been around for along time now, and they have been through alot of rough patches, but nothing like what they will face if they keep dropping behind Sony.

Nintendo I think are the greatest console makers of all time, but due to the time difference of the release of the Gamecube and the PS2 they will start to fall behind. OK maybe the Gamecube is supposed to be an all around better console than the PS2 but with the 2 year release date difference most people will get fed up of waiting and turn to the PS2.

I think that most people would agree with me here by saying that the N64 was the greatest console of it's time, but there are more powerful consoles out and Nintedo are still constructing. The PS2 has already sold over half of of what the N64 has sold all over the world, and if Nintendo take the to long to release the Gamecube they will suffer the same fate as Sega.

I don't know if any of you know this but recently the owner of Nintendo turned down a contract offer from square which could've of boosted the sales of the Gamecube when it is released. Many people would say that Nintendo won't need the developing expertise fromn square with all the great games that will be made by RARE and themselves, but they can't just count on themselves and RARE to hold them together, if you ask me they will need all the help they can get with a release date as late as it is.

I don't want to sound like i'm putting Nintendo down because i'm not, but they do need to improve on the tactics they are using. I thought they would of tried to improve on the mistake they made when they released the N64, but they haven't they are still taking to long to releases their console and Sony are getting alll the public support.

Raven

P.S. i only posted my last message because i was bored
Thu 01/02/01 at 08:43
Regular
"not dead"
Raven, I can't see Nintendo suffering the same fate as Sega for a very simple reason. Gameboy.
Thanks to the Gameboy, in all of its various forms, Nintendo made more money than any other company in the gaming market last year.

Sega, on the other hand, have suffered 4 consecutive years of financial losses.

Whilst the Gameboy (including Advance this year) is selling so many units, and games Nintendo will continue to turn in a profit.

Nintendo seem to have learnt from their mistakes made with the N64, and have made the GameCube platform very developer-friendly, so there should be no shortage of games.

Also the GC is being released just over 1 year after the Playstation 2 in Japan, so where you have grabbed the 2 year figure from is quite a mystery to me!
Thu 01/02/01 at 17:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
"but due to the time difference of the release of the Gamecube and the PS2 they will start to fall behind."

Since Microsoft are doing the same... I'm sure they have some marketing reson for doing this... besides, the Dreamcast cam out 2 years before PS2 and that didnt do SEGA much good?

It would be a hard push for Nintnedo to suffer the same fate as SEGA... at least for a few years yet... if nothing else, they own the Handheld market... and even if Microsofts handheld does well, I think the GB+ will be a tough act to superseed...

Thu 01/02/01 at 17:37
Regular
Don't you read news on the upwire? Nintendo have gained the most profits last year! Way above Sony!
Thu 01/02/01 at 18:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I know... I posted a message about this a week or so ago... Although notably most of Nintendos profits came fomr the GameBoy...
Thu 01/02/01 at 18:19
Regular
There is no chance of Nintendo heading the same direction as Sega in the near future!

Nintendo have the Pokémon franchise which is making them loads of money!

The Gameboy systems and games have always sold millions each year and even more last year with Pokémon!

Nintendo currently don't have any competition in the handheld market and because the GBA is fully backwards compatable with ALL gameboy systems I'd be suprised if another handheld did as good!

I hope Nintendo's Gamecube (current official release date is December) will live up to expectations! It has a bigger chance than Sony to succeed because of the huuge amount of money Nintendo can put into it. But saying that Microsoft (or should I say the monopolising prat Bill Gates) has over 70Billion pounds and is the richest man on hte planet! Microsoft can put as much money as they like into the X-box!

Maybe the games market will do a sudden turn and PS2 will go kerplunk sinking right down to the bottom of the gaming business!

Same could happen to the X-box!

It just depends on what the customers think!

Thu 01/02/01 at 18:23
Regular
nintendo dont even have to bother with the gamcube really. if its a success it will be a bonus. the gameboy advance already has millions of reservations already wordlwide. it could become the worlds biggest selling console ever. i even know some sony mans buying it. this thing will be excellent and a pot of gold for nintendo. with the great experience of sega developing for it, it cant go wrong. and because of its link up with gamecube it could tempt more people to buy gamecube.
Thu 01/02/01 at 18:25
Regular
If the GBA games cost more than £25 I foresee a large drop in GB profits.

Think about it, pay £25 for a 16 bit game which was possibly released on the Snes 10 years ago or for £5 more buy a brand new GC/PS2/PC/Xbox game with more development costs, more technology and likely more lifetime and gameplay too!

Which one would you choose?

Nintendo need to keep the GBA game price down or I (and lots of other people) just wont bother!
Thu 01/02/01 at 18:34
Regular
*Ahem* GBA carts can be up to 32-bit!

Haven't you seen the technical specs at www.nintendo.com!

Haven't you seen the 3D graphics that would never have been able to appear on the SNES without the extension port being used?

This is so frustrating! Why can't people check the facts FIRST before posting incorrect points?
Thu 01/02/01 at 18:40
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
But... arnt Nintendo trying to make the machine more of a 2D games machine rather than a 3D games machine?

by golly... I certaonyl wish people would check their facts before taking about a feature?!!?

;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.