GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are you a 'hardcore gamer'?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/01/09 at 15:34
Regular
The phrases "hardcore gamer" and "casual gamer" seem to be cropping up even more at the moment. But I still can't get my head round what constitutes being part of one group, or another.

For example. I own a Wii, and play Wii sports (it's possibly the best social game that I have ever owned). I also own (and use) Wii Fit - seemingly making me a casual gamer.

I also own a 360, and play Halo 3, Forza 2, Mirrors Edge etc. Does this put me back in the hardcore? Or somewhere in between? I also enjoy GH:WT - back into the casual pot I go...

I would say that I play games for, on average, 4 hours a week. Surely keeping me buried in the casual basket?

Yet I read up on gaming web-sites practically every day, and have a good idea of what is going on the industry, and which games to keep my eyes out for that the casuals have probably not heard of (Madworld, The Conduit, Race Pro, Alan Wake etc). Is this enough to put me on the 'hardcore' side of the fance? Or have I got splinters in my bum from straddling it?

What is all this pigeon-holing about it the first place? Is it worthwhile, or even true? Does it matter - as long as people are buying games then it's all good, right? Well yes it does matter, as Wii owners are finding out. Party games seem to be selling, so people make more, so they sell more etc. It's a vicious circle. I'm hoping that Mad World and The Conduit are decent games, as that may well prove that "proper" games can have a place on Wii and other devs may follow suit. I'm still hoping that Sadness makes an appearance...

So, what are you - hardcore or casual? Do you even care?
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 27/01/09 at 15:34
Regular
The phrases "hardcore gamer" and "casual gamer" seem to be cropping up even more at the moment. But I still can't get my head round what constitutes being part of one group, or another.

For example. I own a Wii, and play Wii sports (it's possibly the best social game that I have ever owned). I also own (and use) Wii Fit - seemingly making me a casual gamer.

I also own a 360, and play Halo 3, Forza 2, Mirrors Edge etc. Does this put me back in the hardcore? Or somewhere in between? I also enjoy GH:WT - back into the casual pot I go...

I would say that I play games for, on average, 4 hours a week. Surely keeping me buried in the casual basket?

Yet I read up on gaming web-sites practically every day, and have a good idea of what is going on the industry, and which games to keep my eyes out for that the casuals have probably not heard of (Madworld, The Conduit, Race Pro, Alan Wake etc). Is this enough to put me on the 'hardcore' side of the fance? Or have I got splinters in my bum from straddling it?

What is all this pigeon-holing about it the first place? Is it worthwhile, or even true? Does it matter - as long as people are buying games then it's all good, right? Well yes it does matter, as Wii owners are finding out. Party games seem to be selling, so people make more, so they sell more etc. It's a vicious circle. I'm hoping that Mad World and The Conduit are decent games, as that may well prove that "proper" games can have a place on Wii and other devs may follow suit. I'm still hoping that Sadness makes an appearance...

So, what are you - hardcore or casual? Do you even care?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.