GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What was your first Windows OS? "

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 27/01/09 at 09:19
Regular
"One man, no shoes.."
What was your first Windows OS? and What memories have you got of it.

Mine was 3.1 and I just remember playing Chips Challenge constantly (did anyone else play that?)
Tue 27/01/09 at 22:40
Regular
"eat toast!"
I used 3.1 as my first OS system. Alas it wasn't much of a dabble maybe at school and perhaps at a electronics store.

My real hand in OS was 95 and even then it was very basic. 98 was when i really got my hands on a os and dabbled in various things.

Mind you, right now i'm playing doom64 TC on the pc. Pretty decent if you like doom. But damn it, why can't i jump from the off? Why can't i ruin the game design from the start? Hell making ordinary jumps is hard enough as its always so hit and miss.
Tue 27/01/09 at 16:20
"possibly impossible"
Yep. Soundcards came in around the 486 with the first Soundblasters but were only compatible with a few games. from the Pentium onwards they became far more popular.
Tue 27/01/09 at 15:45
Regular
Was then went the only sound effects came from the on board speaker. So all you got was beep beep etc?
Tue 27/01/09 at 15:00
"possibly impossible"
3.1 for me as well, though I did use 2.1 for a while. I also had a different front end GUI for DOS but I forget the name.

I was doing my BTEC Computer studies course at the time so needed a PC. Gaming was mostly done on the SNES etc but the PC had some classics.

Most of the games I remember on my 386 were things like Jaz Jackrabbit and the Apogee games like Blake Stone, Captain Comic, Epic Pinball and the original Duke Nukem (before it went 3D) all in wonderful VGA 8 and 16 colour formats.

Then X-wing and Tie-fighter (and X-wing vs Tie-fighter) on the 486. Lovely.
Tue 27/01/09 at 14:54
Regular
Windows 95. It was a pentium 75 with 8MB of RAM. Which I upgraded to 16 so I could play Geoff Crammonds GP2.
Tue 27/01/09 at 09:37
Regular
YES! I DO :D

I used to love that game too.. I had loads on 3.1 for some reason - I'm not sure if they came with it?

There was also a snowboarding one where you had trees to avoid and jumps to do, and after about 2 mins without fail, a big snow monster would come and try and eat you - and succeed about 99 times out of 100. Then another one would come :(

I had a machine before 3.1, but I can't remember what it was. All I remember is that it was a really simple notepad/word processor with no GUI, but a black screen with green text which you could change to a few colours. Even purple..!

I was about 7 at the time, haha.
Tue 27/01/09 at 09:19
Regular
"One man, no shoes.."
What was your first Windows OS? and What memories have you got of it.

Mine was 3.1 and I just remember playing Chips Challenge constantly (did anyone else play that?)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.