GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Unsolicited E mails a complaint and some advice I found on the web"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/01/09 at 09:18
Regular
Can i report to my ISP

starconcerts.co.uk to be added to the blacklist as we are receiving several emails from them with huge attachments (posters for gigs) that we never subcribed to and they have no way of unsubcribing from the list and I have emailed Starconcerts from their website and had no reply! they are faceless and annoying

heres the copied bit....
This was copy and pasted its not my own work so no GAD award please Digi

Unsolicited email
How to reduce itUnsolicited email (known as 'spam') or unsolicited commercial email continues to be a problem for many people. However there are steps you can take to reduce the amount you receive:

only give your email address out to people you want to have it
if you buy online, read the terms and conditions carefully and tick the box which prevents the retailer forwarding your details to others
contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) - they can block future emails from an identified sender - once an ISP believes their network is being used to send unlawful, unsolicited commercial email, they can block all further emails sent to its subscribers from a specific address or domain
never reply to 'spammers' and never buy anything from them
adjust the settings on your email software so that junk email is filtered away from the emails you want to receive
invest in a spam filter - technology is changing all the time and the quality of the filters is improving
don't click on the adverts in spam emails, you are identifying yourself as having a live email address - this will encourage spammers to send more emails.
turn off the facility which tells you when an email has arrived - this indicates to the spammer your email address is live
Sat 10/01/09 at 09:18
Regular
Can i report to my ISP

starconcerts.co.uk to be added to the blacklist as we are receiving several emails from them with huge attachments (posters for gigs) that we never subcribed to and they have no way of unsubcribing from the list and I have emailed Starconcerts from their website and had no reply! they are faceless and annoying

heres the copied bit....
This was copy and pasted its not my own work so no GAD award please Digi

Unsolicited email
How to reduce itUnsolicited email (known as 'spam') or unsolicited commercial email continues to be a problem for many people. However there are steps you can take to reduce the amount you receive:

only give your email address out to people you want to have it
if you buy online, read the terms and conditions carefully and tick the box which prevents the retailer forwarding your details to others
contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) - they can block future emails from an identified sender - once an ISP believes their network is being used to send unlawful, unsolicited commercial email, they can block all further emails sent to its subscribers from a specific address or domain
never reply to 'spammers' and never buy anything from them
adjust the settings on your email software so that junk email is filtered away from the emails you want to receive
invest in a spam filter - technology is changing all the time and the quality of the filters is improving
don't click on the adverts in spam emails, you are identifying yourself as having a live email address - this will encourage spammers to send more emails.
turn off the facility which tells you when an email has arrived - this indicates to the spammer your email address is live
Sun 01/02/09 at 17:06
Regular
"But less irrational"
One further tip:

If you're using a non-web-based email client (such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook Express) and have a software firewall (such as ZoneAlarm), temporarily stop all internet access before you open the body of a suspected spam email.

The reason for this is that any images within the email will automatically be pulled from the spam server, and if an image URL has a unique code appended to it, your email address can be cross-referenced and flagged to be live, even if you don't click on anything.

You can then delete the offending email before allowing internet access again.
Sun 01/02/09 at 18:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Welcome to Freeola Pi....nice piece of advice
Mon 02/02/09 at 00:58
Regular
"But less irrational"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Welcome to Freeola Pi....nice piece of advice

Thanks, Dragonlance.

I've been a member of Freeola for many years (I joined Special Reserve way back in the late 1980s when they were just a snail mail company), but I had no need to join the forums until now.

Now that I'm here, though, I'll check in regularly and help out if I can.
Mon 02/02/09 at 09:08
"Are you sure?"
Rather than tweak your firewall, most email clients let you decide whether to download external images or not.

For example in Outlook Express go to Tools > Options > Security Tab.
Tick the "Block images and other external content in HTML email" option - if it's not already on.

Search Freeola Chat
Mon 02/02/09 at 14:42
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
Some security experts would even recommend you turn off HTML in e-mails and just delete spam if you recognise it without opening it. Do not open attachments unless you know what they are, do not bother opening e-mails from friends if they are cartoon/video/joke type e-mails. Never click links in e-mail unless you're sure about the e-mail; copy and paste the link into your browser instead.

These are recommendations by Bruce Schneier a security expert on Safe Personal Computing, you can read the rest here:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2004/12/safe_personal_c.html
Tue 03/02/09 at 19:18
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Pi wrote:
> Thanks, Dragonlance.
>

So was I. I joined about the same time and enjoyed using the mail order system through the SR Catalogue and browsing in the local SR store. Didn't really begin to use the forums until I migrated from dial up to broadband - makes sense really.

However, all these suggestions regarding unsolicited emails etc are fine - we all need occasionally reminding of the do's and don'ts, but the main problem is the preventing of spam appearing in your inbox even though you have followed and do indeed practice all of the advice.

I have just had a devil of a job convincing one 'client' that the sudden influx of spam in his inbox was not a personal attack from this "one bloke selling viagara"!...and, "no we cannot send him similar retribution". As funny as it may sound, this scenario was played out last Saturday and even included a call to good old Freeola support to clear his server inbox!

Prevention helps but it is not the cure that most users require. To be honest, a minority of us have a vested interest in maintaining our 'machines' in as pristine condition as possible; we have an interest in the hobby. Most users do not see their machines as we do and are very quick to point the finger of blame at the poor old machine when something goes wrong - even though on investigation, protection levels are poor, non existent or even don't exist. Their 'interest' isn't focused on the machine and perhaps rightly so. they have other more pressing issues - but any advice regarding internet safety and machine maintenance should really be implemented and practiced regularly. Some of my clients, I'm glad to say, do now - but it has taken time and many visits to rectify user created problems:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.