GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"1st Person Vs 3rd Person"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/01/01 at 20:53
Regular
Perfect Dark or Jet Force Gemini, both are great games but does the players view affect the opinions! The Graphics on PD were some of the best seen in quite a while from Rare and Nintendo anyway. But I really liked JFG but if only...if only you could see through Juno's eyes all the time!

Accuracy is a big factor in shoot 'em ups. A miss is as good as a mile, if you don't hit 'em you don't hurt 'em! I think that 1st person games like PD and Goldeneye are prefered by fans because of the ease of playing.

Despite the great gameplay of Op.Windback, JFG and almost soon to be Sin and Punishment, I think the biggest factor in them not reaching the top spots is that they are in 3rd person settings! The plot to Op. Windback was good and fun to play (for me) but I really that game could be sooo much better if they were set out right!

I couldn't imagine Bong being stuck with one of those classic 3rd person 'R Trigger' Targets but then again I think that Juno and Vela would be suited to 1st person.

Of couse this is all out of preferance and I don't actually have anything but a N64 so the examples are those. I just hope that producers make the right decisions when it comes to Next - Gen. game development!

I am not saying that we shouldn't have 3rd person shooters I just think that they should only be used if the game is meeting its full potential!

I prefer 1st person but that is just me. I am sure you have a load of good reasons for more 3rd persons, Like you have a better view, in most cases anyway, not looking through the eyes of the charachter so much but an overall perspective in 3rd person games is much better than being stuck up the back of your charachter where you couldn't see to save your Grandmother.

Anyway I am sure you have some reasons...so lets hear them!!!

-The Game-
Mon 22/01/01 at 20:53
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Perfect Dark or Jet Force Gemini, both are great games but does the players view affect the opinions! The Graphics on PD were some of the best seen in quite a while from Rare and Nintendo anyway. But I really liked JFG but if only...if only you could see through Juno's eyes all the time!

Accuracy is a big factor in shoot 'em ups. A miss is as good as a mile, if you don't hit 'em you don't hurt 'em! I think that 1st person games like PD and Goldeneye are prefered by fans because of the ease of playing.

Despite the great gameplay of Op.Windback, JFG and almost soon to be Sin and Punishment, I think the biggest factor in them not reaching the top spots is that they are in 3rd person settings! The plot to Op. Windback was good and fun to play (for me) but I really that game could be sooo much better if they were set out right!

I couldn't imagine Bong being stuck with one of those classic 3rd person 'R Trigger' Targets but then again I think that Juno and Vela would be suited to 1st person.

Of couse this is all out of preferance and I don't actually have anything but a N64 so the examples are those. I just hope that producers make the right decisions when it comes to Next - Gen. game development!

I am not saying that we shouldn't have 3rd person shooters I just think that they should only be used if the game is meeting its full potential!

I prefer 1st person but that is just me. I am sure you have a load of good reasons for more 3rd persons, Like you have a better view, in most cases anyway, not looking through the eyes of the charachter so much but an overall perspective in 3rd person games is much better than being stuck up the back of your charachter where you couldn't see to save your Grandmother.

Anyway I am sure you have some reasons...so lets hear them!!!

-The Game-
Mon 22/01/01 at 21:05
Which game are you? I'll have 3 guesses.

1). Monopoly
2). Cludo
3). Tiddelywinks.
Mon 22/01/01 at 21:22
"Uzi Lover"
Well, Max Payne which is released soon could change all that!

The game is looking ace and a few heads were turned when they annouced it was a 3rd person instead of a 1st, but its on track and should hit ya this summer!

www.maxpayne.com check it out! Esspically the gallery section
Mon 22/01/01 at 21:28
Your right the Perspective makes a differnce...this problem isnt just confined to FPShooters though, just look at RidgeRacerType4 to see what I mean.
Luckily it seems like Konami at least are paying attention, as from the previews of "MetalGearSolid2:Sons of Liberty" it seems that you can switch between 1st and 3rd person perspective, another reason this will be the game to own.
Mon 22/01/01 at 21:34
Regular
Hidden And Dangerous was good for that, being able to choose which person... and what view.

I always prefered third person in H&D, but I couldn't play Deus Ex in 3rd person... the magic would be gone.
Mon 22/01/01 at 21:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Strange that the quake3 engine allows you to swap between 1st and 3rd person at any point during play, but no-one really mentions it?
Tue 23/01/01 at 15:17
Being able to switch between modes on all games if definately the Future!
Tue 23/01/01 at 15:19
Regular
WinBAck, Game it's called Winback not Windback.
Rainobw 6 let's you change from 1st person to 3rd perosn but i prefer 1st person, because they need to put more effort on the camera angles.
Tue 23/01/01 at 15:35
Did anyone ever use the 1st person veiw on Silent Hill, that makes the game even more disturbing!
Wed 24/01/01 at 08:40
Regular
"not dead"
The Game wrote:

I couldn't imagine Bong being
> stuck with one of those classic 3rd person 'R Trigger' Targets

The Name's Bong, James Bong!

*chuckles*

MD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.