GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consirn about DS online."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/08/05 at 16:22
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Not too long to wait until the DS becomes online compatible, which is a good reason to rejoice! Or is it? While the idea of playing many great handheld games with or against many people across the globe is a brilliant one, I have one major consirn... the battery life!

Given the short power of the DS' battery- and the amount of time we will(undoubtably) be taking advantage of the opportunity to play Ninty's games online for FREE- I assume that the DS could go off at any minute. This could possibly interfere with not only the owner of said DS, but also the people on the other end. Picture this for instance:

You are in second place on Mario Kart DS and are about to pass the person in the lead. They pass you again, but you manage to grab a red shell that you intend on lunging at the leader. You hit him/her and make your way to first again. As you near the finishing line, just a couple of feet away... Vvdump(the sound of the DS shutting off). This may also stop your opponents dead in their tracks with an error message or the like. Leaving many angry kart drivers.

There are many mysteries of the DS' online capabilities as of now, however, but I hope that Nintendo have already thought about this before hand. Perhaps it might not even use the system's battery power and use a different source. Does anyone know anything about this issue?
Mon 01/08/05 at 16:22
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Not too long to wait until the DS becomes online compatible, which is a good reason to rejoice! Or is it? While the idea of playing many great handheld games with or against many people across the globe is a brilliant one, I have one major consirn... the battery life!

Given the short power of the DS' battery- and the amount of time we will(undoubtably) be taking advantage of the opportunity to play Ninty's games online for FREE- I assume that the DS could go off at any minute. This could possibly interfere with not only the owner of said DS, but also the people on the other end. Picture this for instance:

You are in second place on Mario Kart DS and are about to pass the person in the lead. They pass you again, but you manage to grab a red shell that you intend on lunging at the leader. You hit him/her and make your way to first again. As you near the finishing line, just a couple of feet away... Vvdump(the sound of the DS shutting off). This may also stop your opponents dead in their tracks with an error message or the like. Leaving many angry kart drivers.

There are many mysteries of the DS' online capabilities as of now, however, but I hope that Nintendo have already thought about this before hand. Perhaps it might not even use the system's battery power and use a different source. Does anyone know anything about this issue?
Mon 01/08/05 at 16:47
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
You're talking balls.

You don't think if somebody's DS crashes it won't just remove them from the game and continue as normal for the rest of the players?

The outcome is exactly the same as what it would be if somebody turned their Xbox off in the middle of an online race on PGR2. They'd be removed from the race and other than their departure it would continue as usual, with the people behind them being promoted by one position.
Mon 01/08/05 at 17:04
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Ashman wrote:
> You're talking balls.
>
> You don't think if somebody's DS crashes it won't just remove them
> from the game and continue as normal for the rest of the players?
>
> The outcome is exactly the same as what it would be if somebody
> turned their Xbox off in the middle of an online race on PGR2. They'd
> be removed from the race and other than their departure it would
> continue as usual, with the people behind them being promoted by one
> position.

When playing multiplayer offline, and the power goes off on one DS, the other one(s) gets that kind of message.

Even if what you are saying were to be true, there's still the 10 hour battery life to think about. Not to mention the fact that it's power shortens after 500 recharges.
Mon 01/08/05 at 17:21
Regular
"Remember me?"
Marinky_Kongshi wrote:
> When playing multiplayer offline, and the power goes off on one DS,
> the other one(s) gets that kind of message.

No it doesn't. Me, my friend and his brother were playing Bomberman and his brother's DS battery ran out and we carried on as normal.

> Even if what you are saying were to be true, there's still the 10
> hour battery life to think about. Not to mention the fact that it's
> power shortens after 500 recharges.

10 hours is more than enough. You're never going to be on there for 10 hours straight.
Mon 01/08/05 at 17:32
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
You're going to be near a wireless signal, which for me means at home. If the light turns red to warn about power issues, I can plug in the charger.

Now explain to me what the problem is...?

What a load of balls.
Mon 01/08/05 at 17:35
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Albino-Man wrote:
> 10 hours is more than enough. You're never going to be on there for
> 10 hours straight.

And you can still play plugged into the wall.
Mon 01/08/05 at 19:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
That's the best spelling of concern than I've evere seen. Well done.
Mon 01/08/05 at 19:47
Regular
Please please please tell me that was unintencholional.
Mon 01/08/05 at 19:48
Regular
What the heck is "unintencholional"
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:22
Regular
"Remember me?"
It means that he's one big p*ss-taking mofo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.