GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do we complain too much?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/12/08 at 14:04
Regular
Or not enough?

I was in WHSmith today and I jumped out of the queue to have a look at the best seller books. I overheard the lady who was behind me buying 3 books for £60. "It says 3 for £30" she tells the cashier who runs by me to have a look. "No I'm afraid it isnt".

It turns out this "silly" customer assumed all the books on the shelves that have big banners saying "3 for £30" actually thought they were all 3 for £30. Nope. Only the ones that have the little stickers on them that say "3 for £30" are actually 3 for £30. :S

So she started to complain and all the people in the queue behind her rolled their eyes.

Should she have complained? (I think it went on for 5 minutes, no shouting though) I mean even I thought at first that they were all 3 for £30 too until I noticed stickers on only half of them. Maybe this is all a trick and they just hope that a lot of the customers just accept the much higher price and buy the books anyway.

So anyway have you ever complained about something? Maybe poor service or bad food when eating out?
Mon 22/12/08 at 20:54
Regular
"What's basketball?"
We're human. There's no such thing as complaining too much.
Sun 21/12/08 at 22:06
Regular
"eat toast!"
We all get it once in a while. You're completely innocent or not responsible for whats happened and still you get it in the neck by someone complaining. In the end you just have to lend a sympathetic ear and hear them out. Afterwards do what you can to ease the situation. Preferrably keep it short and leave.
Sun 21/12/08 at 19:37
Regular
"WhaleOilBeefHooked"
I always feel a little bad when I complain because most of the time the person you're complaining to hasn't done anything wrong and it's someone else's fault (or quite a lot of the time it's actually no one's fault, but just bad luck).
Thu 18/12/08 at 17:57
Regular
"Notable"
t1mmie wrote:
> me, telling me that it makes the car 'more desirable' .... It's
> personalised to my initials - it'd mean nothing to anybody else!
> I didn't pay and they later apologised for the
> 'misunderstanding'.

Who knows what your initials mean to everybody else. wink wink
Thu 18/12/08 at 17:01
Regular
I was talking to McLong a while ago about how it seems that unless you at least appear to be angry or very dissatisfied (especially with companies or services) that you are often taken for-granted and the quality of customer service often drops considerably.

My dad was trying to cancel some online marketing arrangement that he had mistakenly set up a few months ago and they had some policy where you needed to give 60 days notice. He then asked a simple question, 'why?' and they said 'oh.. it takes that long for the servers' to something-or-other.

He then disputed this excuse, knowing that with this technology it's just a case of clicking a mouse - and behold! It was canceled by the end of the day. Ridiculous.

I also got a personalised number-plate recently and told my insurance company and they tried to get another £30 off of me, telling me that it makes the car 'more desirable' .... It's personalised to my initials - it'd mean nothing to anybody else! I didn't pay and they later apologised for the 'misunderstanding'.
Thu 18/12/08 at 16:44
Regular
"Notable"
I remember when I got back from Turkey in the summer all the English peeps who were waiting for luggage didn't shurup complaining about the food. I was like Dude! and they were like Isweeeet

The lesson?
Coming home from holiday sucks.
Here endeth the lesson.
Thu 18/12/08 at 15:16
"possibly impossible"
Americans don't complain. They just sue!

{mass generalisation filter off}

I think in that instance the lady was wrong to complain because the sales person took the effort to look and explain the situation. It's probably just her own damn fault she didn't stop to read the text properly on the banner. (Probably said 'all marked items')

But in some instances it does pay to complain. Plus if people didn't complain then shows like Watchdog and the One Show wouldn't exist and what would poor Nicky Cambell do then? :)
Thu 18/12/08 at 15:12
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Yeah, I think I watched that programme you were talking about. Dom Joly's Complainers I think it was called.

Anyway, there are certain things we should complain about and don't. Complaining doesn't mean being rude though.
Thu 18/12/08 at 14:50
Regular
Apparently Brits are the least likely nation to complain, in all of Europe. The vast majority of us prefer to avoid confrontational situations according to a rather humourous TV programme (experiment) I saw not too long ago.

Not sure about how we supposedly fair on a globe scale.
Thu 18/12/08 at 14:04
Regular
Or not enough?

I was in WHSmith today and I jumped out of the queue to have a look at the best seller books. I overheard the lady who was behind me buying 3 books for £60. "It says 3 for £30" she tells the cashier who runs by me to have a look. "No I'm afraid it isnt".

It turns out this "silly" customer assumed all the books on the shelves that have big banners saying "3 for £30" actually thought they were all 3 for £30. Nope. Only the ones that have the little stickers on them that say "3 for £30" are actually 3 for £30. :S

So she started to complain and all the people in the queue behind her rolled their eyes.

Should she have complained? (I think it went on for 5 minutes, no shouting though) I mean even I thought at first that they were all 3 for £30 too until I noticed stickers on only half of them. Maybe this is all a trick and they just hope that a lot of the customers just accept the much higher price and buy the books anyway.

So anyway have you ever complained about something? Maybe poor service or bad food when eating out?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.