GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Paralell Universes"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/03/03 at 14:58
Regular
Everything you're about to read here seems impossible and insane, beyond science fiction. Yet it's all true.

Scientists now believe there may really be a parallel universe - in fact, there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, and we just happen to live in one of them. These other universes contain space, time and strange forms of exotic matter. Some of them may even contain you, in a slightly different form. Astonishingly, scientists believe that these parallel universes exist less than one millimetre away from us. In fact, our gravity is just a weak signal leaking out of another universe into ours.

For years parallel universes were a staple of the Twilight Zone. Science fiction writers loved to speculate on the possible other universes which might exist. In one, they said, Elvis Presley might still be alive or in another the British Empire might still be going strong. Serious scientists dismissed all this speculation as absurd. But now it seems the speculation wasn't absurd enough. Parallel universes really do exist and they are much stranger than even the science fiction writers dared to imagine.

It all started when superstring theory, hyperspace and dark matter made physicists realise that the three dimensions we thought described the Universe weren't enough. There are actually 11 dimensions. By the time they had finished they'd come to the conclusion that our Universe is just one bubble among an infinite number of membranous bubbles which ripple as they wobble through the eleventh dimension.

Now imagine what might happen if two such bubble universes touched. Neil Turok from Cambridge, Burt Ovrut from the University of Pennsylvania and Paul Steinhardt from Princeton believe that has happened. The result? A very big bang indeed and a new universe was born - our Universe. The idea has shocked the scientific community; it turns the conventional Big Bang theory on its head. It may well be that the Big Bang wasn't really the beginning of everything after all. Time and space all existed before it. In fact Big Bangs may happen all the time.

Of course this extraordinary story about the origin of our Universe has one alarming implication. If a collision started our Universe, could it happen again? Anything is possible in this extra-dimensional cosmos. Perhaps out there in space there is another universe heading directly towards us - it may only be a matter of time before we collide.

[Taken from the BBC website, BBC.co.uk - ® All Rights Reserved to BBC]
Mon 24/03/03 at 15:11
Regular
"I ush!"
Gangsta Hamsta wrote:
> Sounds like an utter pile of balls to me (technical term)
>
> I can't see it being anything more than the fruits of a bunch of
> scientists who have decided to get into the news.

From what kyz22 wrote, I had heard of everything up to the stuff about bubble universes, and theories and experiments have been done to try to lend evidence to these theories. Unfortunately I can't really try and learn anything from the bubble universe part because the reporters interpretation of other, more established theories in this report demonstrates that he or she doesn't really understand what they are reading about.
Mon 24/03/03 at 15:04
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Sounds like an utter pile of balls to me (technical term)

I can't see it being anything more than the fruits of a bunch of scientists who have decided to get into the news.
Sun 23/03/03 at 22:33
Regular
"I ush!"
The text is misleading, speculative and by no means conclusive, but I can tell you where I think some of these things originated.

Blank wrote:
>
> Choice excerpts:
>
> Kyz22 wrote:
> In fact, our gravity is just a weak signal leaking out
> of another universe into ours.

This is rubbish. Gravity is not "just" a weak signal leaking out of another universe, However there are theories that massive objects in spatial dimensions that we are largely unaware of can influence objects in some small way. This is a theory that is sometimes used to offer an explanation to anomalies in other experimental data.

>
> Parallel
> universes really do exist and they are much stranger than even the
> science fiction writers dared to imagine.
>
> There are actually 11 dimensions.
>

You don't need a parallel universe to have 11 dimensions. Super string theory predicts that there are actually tiny threads of large dimensional strings poking into our world. How do you know, I hear you ask. Well basically someone did some very accurate experiments, fiddled around with some formulas to see how the experimental data fits the theory best, and that's how it fit, by space time having between ten and twenty six dimensions. The theory says that we don't notice these extra dimensions because they are very small. Steven Hawking compares them to looking at an orange. If you look close up you can see bumps and wrinkles (the extra dimensions) but from a distance it looks smooth.

>
> Right, so show me the proof of these things.

There is no proof because these are currently just theories aimed at creating a unified theory that links other theories from quantum mechanics through newtonian physics right up to special relativity.
Sun 23/03/03 at 20:23
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I have no proof this stuff as I didn't write it myself. I copied it because I thought it was interesting, and by God it is!
Sun 23/03/03 at 18:06
Regular
"I like cheese"
Probably the BBC trying to talk about 'hip' and 'exciting' things...hopelessly.

*points at Newsround* A prime example.
Sun 23/03/03 at 17:03
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Kyz22 wrote:

*Sniggers*

That's just a load of crap if ever I saw it.
Gravity is created by the general mass of an object.
Not by a parallel universe...
Sun 23/03/03 at 16:36
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Kyz - I don't care if that was from the BBC, some of it plainly isn't true, and there is no backup for anything whatsoever.

Choice excerpts:

Kyz22 wrote:

> Parallel
> universes really do exist and they are much stranger than even the
> science fiction writers dared to imagine.

> There are actually 11 dimensions.

Right, so show me the proof of these things.
Sun 23/03/03 at 09:04
Regular
"I ush!"
I belive this about as much as I believe the recent revies on bbc online claiming that Metroid Prime is crap and Splinter Cell is a disappointment.

Reading this is just gives me the impression that someone has attended a press conference or read a journal article and misunderstood what was said, and just reported the sensationalist parts that make you go "ooh," and "ahh,".

To post something like this as being "the truth" is absolutely absurd.
Sun 23/03/03 at 00:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Kyz22 wrote:
> Everything you're about to read here seems impossible and insane,
> beyond science fiction. Yet it's all true.

All true up to the point that noone know if its really true or not and that its all complete speculation
Sun 23/03/03 at 00:22
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
*Chuckles*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.