GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Ron Welty has left the Offspring"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 20/03/03 at 21:37
Regular
That's right, you've heard the tragic news. Ron Welty, drummer for The Offspring for over 15 years, has left the band in favour of pursuing a new project, 'Steady Ground'. The rest of the band wished him all the best and said although it'll be weird to carry on without him, they've employed the services of John Freese to finish up their current album.

The Offspring, undoubtedly THE biggest (and oldest) punk rock band ever, have been going strong for ages, with their first album (imaginatively titled 'Offspring') released in 1989. Since then then they've released 5 other albums, which have all sold well and each have had a unique and individual style. The Offspring's success has spread worldwide, with their tours continuing to sell out. They recently won 'Best Songwriter' as the MTV Kerrang awards.

However now it looks like they're slowing down. After their hit-selling albums Americana (1998) and Conspiracy of One (2000) nothing much has happened and although they are currently recording another album, the Offspring have already said it would be their last and now that Ron has quit the band two weeks into studio recording, it looks like the band's fate is sealed. Unfortunately age has caught up with perhaps the greatest punk rockers of all time.

It's such a shame that the Offspring couldn't have gone out on a high, with Ron finishing the job all four of them started over 15 years ago. Please show your respect for the band by buying the Offspring's final album when it is released in a few month's time. In the meantime listen to some of their music and realised why they've been going strong for so long.

The Offspring, I salute you.
Tue 25/03/03 at 21:19
Regular
Drummers dont play riffs, they play runs and stuff
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:24
Regular
but if he does different styles of riffs will it still be the offspring or will it be him trying to be the Vandels
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:21
Regular
"keep your receipt"
Izo_uk wrote:
> i'm so unhappy its really depressing he's one of the most energetic
> drummers ever and now The Offspring won't be comnplete without him.
> I'm not sure weather to attend their next tour when it happens :(

Yeah I agree Ron was great but Josh Freese is easily as talented, if not more so. I have to admit that Ron never added any solos or diversity to his loops and if you've ever listened to any of the Vandals' music, Josh adds a lot of variation and I think that could be a big improvement for the Offspring. What do you think?
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Ixnay was the best album. Me and My Old Lady and Gone Away.....and Amazed are all fantastic.

And I don't give a flip if they aren't 'true punk'. I like their music (sorry if I'm not knowledgable enough about the punk movment) despite all the negative attention they get.

Ho-hum.
Tue 25/03/03 at 20:08
Regular
i admit the last album was pants but he did make the offspring and he is the balls of a drummer and there new song deny you is well good 2
Tue 25/03/03 at 19:40
Regular
Izo_uk wrote:
> i'm so unhappy its really depressing he's one of the most energetic
> drummers ever and now The Offspring won't be comnplete without him.
> I'm not sure weather to attend their next tour when it happens :(

Possibly one of the stupid'st posts ever. He may be energetic, doesnt mean he's talented. Not saying he is bad, he's just not that good. Also he doesnt "make" the offspring what they are. One more thing, they are past it, finished, last albumn was pants and they probs should have given up before that one.
Tue 25/03/03 at 18:20
Regular
i'm so unhappy its really depressing he's one of the most energetic drummers ever and now The Offspring won't be comnplete without him. I'm not sure weather to attend their next tour when it happens :(
Tue 25/03/03 at 17:29
Regular
"\\"
ixnay on the hombre is the best offspring lbum ever!!! infact, im listening to one of its songs right now, cant wait for their new album
Tue 25/03/03 at 17:24
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Mess wrote:
> why do you think Conspiracy of One was rubbish? I personally really
> enjoyed it. It's got a really good super-agressive feel.

I reckon Conspiracy of One was about as good as Americana. Which isn't that good. They're okay, but not a patch on the earlier stuff. A lot of plain mediocore songs on both. Though 'Special Delivery' off Conspiracy and 'Staring At the Sun' on Americana both rule.
Tue 25/03/03 at 17:21
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Goatboy wrote:
> The Ramones, Black Flag, Agnostic Front, The Damned, The Clash, Sham
> 69, The Misfits, The Stooges.
>
> And The Offspring are punk?
> *shakes head*
> You kids...

Strictly speaking, Black Flag and Agnostic Front are hardcore... :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.