GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PIRACY: MY FULL SOLUTION!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/01/01 at 20:26
Regular
I recently suggested that one way to tackle piracy was to remove territorial lock-outs. Well, this could solve piracy 100%!!! Here we go:

Firstly, I have a console. I can get it chipped to play imports and pirates. The people who make chips are not breaking the law, because it allows u to play imports rather than copies (haha). Now, imagine consoles ship with this chip already in them, so that they can play all imports... but programmed so that they still require coded protection. (ie they play imports but not copies). This can be done very easily by changing the territorial lockouts already in consoles.

Now, people can play all imports and local games on their console. Say they want to pirate. They need a chip to by pass the security. However, the console manufacturer can now sue anyone making chips because the ONLY use of them is to infringe on copyright.

Therefore there is no one making chips legally. There will be a few dodgy places still doing it... but far less than before, and these places could not advertise.

There you have it. No chips. No piracy. Only problem is that people could import freely meaning that if a game is cheaper abroad then they'll buy it from there. But then again, say an American game is cheaper than a british one, then Sega (for example) could give us all american copies of games, rather than wasting money making a translation! It works to their favour!!!! :-)

Your views?

SonicRav
Wed 17/01/01 at 20:26
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I recently suggested that one way to tackle piracy was to remove territorial lock-outs. Well, this could solve piracy 100%!!! Here we go:

Firstly, I have a console. I can get it chipped to play imports and pirates. The people who make chips are not breaking the law, because it allows u to play imports rather than copies (haha). Now, imagine consoles ship with this chip already in them, so that they can play all imports... but programmed so that they still require coded protection. (ie they play imports but not copies). This can be done very easily by changing the territorial lockouts already in consoles.

Now, people can play all imports and local games on their console. Say they want to pirate. They need a chip to by pass the security. However, the console manufacturer can now sue anyone making chips because the ONLY use of them is to infringe on copyright.

Therefore there is no one making chips legally. There will be a few dodgy places still doing it... but far less than before, and these places could not advertise.

There you have it. No chips. No piracy. Only problem is that people could import freely meaning that if a game is cheaper abroad then they'll buy it from there. But then again, say an American game is cheaper than a british one, then Sega (for example) could give us all american copies of games, rather than wasting money making a translation! It works to their favour!!!! :-)

Your views?

SonicRav
Wed 17/01/01 at 20:58
Regular
"smile, it's free"
This country has a screwed up economy. Mass game-imports would mess it up further by depriving UK distibutors and retailers of profit, but the government deserve it.
UK has a large population, and one of the highest tax rates in europe. So what the hell is the government spening it all on?

Give us back our empire, I say.......
Wed 17/01/01 at 20:59
I think its a good idea except the same fact you stated that people could freely get inports, i do not any company will do this as we have to pay more for our games and would lose money
Thu 18/01/01 at 13:43
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
What happens to imports rom countrys that have no copyrighted laws inplace... we already have a lot of dodgy stuff from them already... euqally, staggered releases of prodicts is vital to many companies marketing strategys...

Although in truth... you'll have to see how Tescos' Vs Levis court case goes to see how Britain is on Grey market cheaper imports...

Venom wrote :
"Give us back our empire, I say......."
Nice to see WW2 taught our country no lessons whatsoever :)

-- God bless Darwin.
Thu 18/01/01 at 19:01
Darwinism has a lot to answer for, especially for the Victorians. But back to the point, Import games still incur tax if bought in bulk, but I can't see anything wrong with getting games from other countries if you can't get them here. I know people think this may cause the vicious circle effect of less games being released here, but it's a slim market and it doesn't really affect the UK games market too much, as only some people are going to be bothered importing games. Besides, how else can you protest about the cost and release schedule of games?
Thu 18/01/01 at 21:42
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually, there's no concern:

retailers heer will simply become 100% imports... what's wrong with that? Also, Sega have removed lock outs on the asian DC- they will not loose any money because people will still buy games

Sonic
Fri 19/01/01 at 11:56
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
BLuebeetle... it was only a joke man :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.