GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Simple Web 2.0 Logo using Photoshop (Free Trial)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/12/08 at 03:07
Regular
""none""
Escape from those boring and bland WordArt logos, and try something a bit more professional. You can go this by getting a hold of a Photoshop trial, which can be found with a simple Google search, and accompany it with this tutorial for creating a basic, yet professional-looking logo.

1) First step, creating a new canvas.
To do this you’ll need to click File > New, then change the width to 300 and the height to 150, making sure they are both in pixels. Now, choose the "Transparent" option in "Background Contents" (this will ensure that your logo will not have a coloured rectangle or square behind it and instead will be transparent, showing whatever the website’s background is).

2) Text
In the tools menu choose the "T" icon - this will bring out the text. Now click and drag any on the canvas, a small box will appear, here you can type your text. You can change the font type, now I suggest you go with a nice bold font, this will make your website identifiable. You can go for Arial Black, but I suggest you go to dafont.com and hand pick a font from there.

3) Giving your Text life
To do this you’ll need to add colour – if you want. You can find some interesting colours from colourlovers.com, here here's the result of what I found by doing a simple search on “web 2.0”. You can get these colours on your text by dragging the image of the colour into your canvas, then using the eyedropper tool click on the colour, it will then change your foreground colour to that. Now, click on your text and highlight it all, next to the foreground colour there is an arrow, click it twice. It should change the colour of the whole text. Remember to delete the layer with the image of the colour, right click the layer and click delete, like this.

Now, you’ll want to add a border around the text. To do this right click on your layer and go to blending options, like this. Now click the small red box, now you can change it to any colour you want, if you move your mouse you can see it’s turned into an eyedropper tool, I suggest you click on your text and use that colour. Now change the opacity to 32, and you get a nice transparent border effect.

Now, to make this text glossy. Ctrl click your layer, it’s made a border around the text, now create a new layer. Click on the rectangular marquee tool, or just press m, now from the bottom of your canvas make a box around half your text and let go. Now it’s selected only half your text. Press g to get the paint bucket tool out and fill it with white. Change the opacity of the layer to 32.

This should give you a pretty cool looking web 2.0 design.
Here’s what I did using this method, see what you can do. I did this without needing to use any images, just plain text. I suggest you experiment around with different settings.

Apologies if this tutorial isn't helpful, it's my first try. Feel free to ask questions.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 10/12/08 at 03:07
Regular
""none""
Escape from those boring and bland WordArt logos, and try something a bit more professional. You can go this by getting a hold of a Photoshop trial, which can be found with a simple Google search, and accompany it with this tutorial for creating a basic, yet professional-looking logo.

1) First step, creating a new canvas.
To do this you’ll need to click File > New, then change the width to 300 and the height to 150, making sure they are both in pixels. Now, choose the "Transparent" option in "Background Contents" (this will ensure that your logo will not have a coloured rectangle or square behind it and instead will be transparent, showing whatever the website’s background is).

2) Text
In the tools menu choose the "T" icon - this will bring out the text. Now click and drag any on the canvas, a small box will appear, here you can type your text. You can change the font type, now I suggest you go with a nice bold font, this will make your website identifiable. You can go for Arial Black, but I suggest you go to dafont.com and hand pick a font from there.

3) Giving your Text life
To do this you’ll need to add colour – if you want. You can find some interesting colours from colourlovers.com, here here's the result of what I found by doing a simple search on “web 2.0”. You can get these colours on your text by dragging the image of the colour into your canvas, then using the eyedropper tool click on the colour, it will then change your foreground colour to that. Now, click on your text and highlight it all, next to the foreground colour there is an arrow, click it twice. It should change the colour of the whole text. Remember to delete the layer with the image of the colour, right click the layer and click delete, like this.

Now, you’ll want to add a border around the text. To do this right click on your layer and go to blending options, like this. Now click the small red box, now you can change it to any colour you want, if you move your mouse you can see it’s turned into an eyedropper tool, I suggest you click on your text and use that colour. Now change the opacity to 32, and you get a nice transparent border effect.

Now, to make this text glossy. Ctrl click your layer, it’s made a border around the text, now create a new layer. Click on the rectangular marquee tool, or just press m, now from the bottom of your canvas make a box around half your text and let go. Now it’s selected only half your text. Press g to get the paint bucket tool out and fill it with white. Change the opacity of the layer to 32.

This should give you a pretty cool looking web 2.0 design.
Here’s what I did using this method, see what you can do. I did this without needing to use any images, just plain text. I suggest you experiment around with different settings.

Apologies if this tutorial isn't helpful, it's my first try. Feel free to ask questions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.