GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Photo Story 3 for Windows - introduction to free s/w application"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/12/08 at 15:45
"Are you sure?"
Photo Story 3 - introduction and overview...

A simple and free Windows application that allows you to create a ‘photo story’ – a bit like a clever slide show. You can zoom and pan around you images to make things more interesting – adding effects and music as you go. It’s very easy to play with and get to grips with for people of all ages and skill levels and it can get quite addictive!

When you start the program you have the choice to ‘Begin a new story’, ‘Edit a project’ or ‘Play a story’. You save your Photo Story 3 projects as WP3 files, you are able revisit and edit your Photo Story - which is a good thing as you'll often want to change something later!

When you are finished you save a copy of the story in WMV format(Windows Media Player). You can then either play this on your PC or email it to others or to sites such as YouTube who accept this format.

The program goes through a series of steps to help you build your story. You can move back and forward using the back/next buttons if you should get lost.

Step 1: Import pictures
You can use the Import Pictures button to browse for images (lots of formats accepted: jpg/gif/png/eps/and more!) or just drag images and drop them into the image ‘time line’. You can move/re-order the images as required by dragging or using the arrow buttons.
While you are in Step 1 you can edit the image if required. Crop/rotate/contrast adjustments and red eye correction are available. You are also given the option to apply an effect to the image – grey scale/sepia/watercolour etc.

When you are ready click the next button to move to the next step – you can always go back later if you missed something.

Step 2: Add a title to your pictures
You can add text to each image as required. The positioning of the text is quite limited though – top/bottom/centre and left/middle/right is all you are allowed. It’s a shame you can’t drag the text around the image.
In this step you also get another change to apply an effect as offered in Step 1.

Step 3: Narrate your pictures and customise motion
If required you can record your own narration – just plug a microphone in and click record!
This step also provides you with your 'Customise Motion’ options. By default PS3 adds some subtle movement automatically between images – this works well. But you can change things by selecting this option.
Motion and Duration: You are shown two images of your photo where you can drag and resize a box to define your start and end position for your zoom/pan. As with a lot of the dialogue boxes you are provided with a ‘preview’ button so you can see how things will look.
You can also change the ‘transition’ between images here – fade/shapes/curl/etc.

Step 4: Add background music
You can choose to add any wma/mp3/wav sound file you may have or choose to create your own by using options to create a simple piano piece etc!

That’s it you are all done.
You can now save the project and export it as a WMV (Window Media Player) file in different sizes depending on how you are going to use it.

While I was writing this I created a simple demo - a tribute to a popular punk/rock band which can be viewed here: Photo Story demo

I can recommend PS3 - download and start playing!

Download from Photo Story Home page:
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/ [space] digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx
[Link too long to add, so you'll need to cut/paste]

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 16/12/08 at 17:43
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I used that software a while ago to make a photo story, and it came out rather nicely. Adobe Elements also has this feature, though you can also export it as a PDF slide show.
Wed 10/12/08 at 09:43
Regular
"WeAppearToBeOnFire"
I'm Scared :O

Nice guide Hmmm shame about the topic of the slideshow though lol I didn't realise it had music til I read your post. I apologise if anyone doesn't like it. Our older music is dire.
Wed 10/12/08 at 09:39
"Are you sure?"
Hi Digi,
See my comments under 'Step 3'.
Some 'panning' is added automatically - but you can also use the 'Customise Motion' to modify things.

As you mention - it is good fun!

Search Freeola Chat
Wed 10/12/08 at 09:12
Regular
Hi Hmmmm
I was going to ask about the panning - I made a short trial thing and could not see how to pan yet when I run the story it did pan, but no idea how I made it pan. But it is great fun

Digi
Tue 09/12/08 at 14:43
"Are you sure?"
Digitrader wrote:
> Hi Hmmm
> thanks for this i see that the link is for XP ? will this work
> on Vista?
>
> Digi
>
> Yeah it does work.

Hi Digi,
As you've found it does also work with Vista - MS seem to have decided not to officially support it with Vista though.
Some of the options are also available in the Vista Version of Windows Movie Maker, but the control of the zooming and panning is more limited I've found after just taking a look.

NB. I just turned the volume up a bit on my mr happy chainsaw demo - as I mentioned, it's useful being able to edit the original project to change the music etc.

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 09/12/08 at 09:08
Regular
Hi Hmmm
thanks for this i see that the link is for XP ? will this work on Vista?

Digi

Yeah it does work.
Mon 08/12/08 at 15:45
"Are you sure?"
Photo Story 3 - introduction and overview...

A simple and free Windows application that allows you to create a ‘photo story’ – a bit like a clever slide show. You can zoom and pan around you images to make things more interesting – adding effects and music as you go. It’s very easy to play with and get to grips with for people of all ages and skill levels and it can get quite addictive!

When you start the program you have the choice to ‘Begin a new story’, ‘Edit a project’ or ‘Play a story’. You save your Photo Story 3 projects as WP3 files, you are able revisit and edit your Photo Story - which is a good thing as you'll often want to change something later!

When you are finished you save a copy of the story in WMV format(Windows Media Player). You can then either play this on your PC or email it to others or to sites such as YouTube who accept this format.

The program goes through a series of steps to help you build your story. You can move back and forward using the back/next buttons if you should get lost.

Step 1: Import pictures
You can use the Import Pictures button to browse for images (lots of formats accepted: jpg/gif/png/eps/and more!) or just drag images and drop them into the image ‘time line’. You can move/re-order the images as required by dragging or using the arrow buttons.
While you are in Step 1 you can edit the image if required. Crop/rotate/contrast adjustments and red eye correction are available. You are also given the option to apply an effect to the image – grey scale/sepia/watercolour etc.

When you are ready click the next button to move to the next step – you can always go back later if you missed something.

Step 2: Add a title to your pictures
You can add text to each image as required. The positioning of the text is quite limited though – top/bottom/centre and left/middle/right is all you are allowed. It’s a shame you can’t drag the text around the image.
In this step you also get another change to apply an effect as offered in Step 1.

Step 3: Narrate your pictures and customise motion
If required you can record your own narration – just plug a microphone in and click record!
This step also provides you with your 'Customise Motion’ options. By default PS3 adds some subtle movement automatically between images – this works well. But you can change things by selecting this option.
Motion and Duration: You are shown two images of your photo where you can drag and resize a box to define your start and end position for your zoom/pan. As with a lot of the dialogue boxes you are provided with a ‘preview’ button so you can see how things will look.
You can also change the ‘transition’ between images here – fade/shapes/curl/etc.

Step 4: Add background music
You can choose to add any wma/mp3/wav sound file you may have or choose to create your own by using options to create a simple piano piece etc!

That’s it you are all done.
You can now save the project and export it as a WMV (Window Media Player) file in different sizes depending on how you are going to use it.

While I was writing this I created a simple demo - a tribute to a popular punk/rock band which can be viewed here: Photo Story demo

I can recommend PS3 - download and start playing!

Download from Photo Story Home page:
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/ [space] digitalphotography/photostory/default.mspx
[Link too long to add, so you'll need to cut/paste]

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.