GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"You all slated early 3D platformers as "little kiddies" games and now look what's happened!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/01/01 at 22:05
Regular
Remember Crash Bandicoot (the first one) and Mario 64.

Both of them were first class games and games that adults could easily enjoy due to great gameplay.

But no. It wasn't good enough for the gaming public.

Just because the characters were cute and cartoony, just because the games didn't have red certificate, people suddenly thought that they were "little kids" games for 5 year old (some idiots still do!) and neglected tham for "adult" games.

As a result, every platform game released afterwards was aimed at little kids.

Much of the tough platform gaiming was lost in these latter titles. Platforming was replaced with simplistic childrens puzzels and the difficulty of the games dropped.

Crash 2 and 3 just weren't the solid platform games their predecessor was.

DK64 was a great adventure game but didn't have much platforming in it. Instead it had simplistic mini games which were still fun but not the brilliant challenging platforming game it should have been.

I would say that you've all ruined platform games but that's not quite true.

Mario 128 will feature all the best features of 3d platforming and the grown up challenge. And this time round Mario won't be so cutesy so even gamers who think that they are too "grown up" for "kids games" won't be put off.

The platform game.
Created (well not quite), moderned and saved by the Nintendo geniuses!
Wed 17/01/01 at 15:30
Just use lots of J's, I's and S's
Wed 17/01/01 at 13:29
Regular
I'd tell you but I can't spell his name.
Wed 17/01/01 at 06:53
Dan_uk wrote:
Created (well not quite), moderned and saved by the Nintendo
> geniuses!

Who is that then Dan?
Wed 17/01/01 at 00:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I liked Mario64, and I still like platformers... Also Ive never met a person who thinks platformers are for children only (surely these are the same people who think computer games are for the under 10's?) ... But I'm pre-C64 so maybe thats the reason... (they can be very frustrating at time though huh?)

-- One third of American women agree that baseball was more exciting when it was on strike.
Tue 16/01/01 at 22:25
Regular
"not dead"
The traditional platformer needed 2 buttons, one to jump, and one to attack.

Very simple, run along platforms, jump between each one, attack enemies.

Works very nicely in 2D.

3D is completely different, and although the attack and jump buttons are still present, the jumping is becoming less of a necessity, because in 3D it's a bit of a pain in the neck.

You think you're above a platform, but no, you fall down because you missed it.

This is so annoying!

So what's a platformer to do?

They became 3D adventures, and very enjoyable they are too!

Maybe in the future we'll get the traditional platformers as hidden games, within part of something much bigger.

MD PQMS8/00
Tue 16/01/01 at 22:16
"possibly impossible"
Although 'platform' games go back as far as the days of the first home computers, such as Manic Miner, Monty Mole and the original Mario.

3D platforms are evolved from this and I don't think Mario 64 was seen by a lot of people as merely 'kiddies games' but more by a section of the gaming public that had that way of thinking, often those who entered gaming through the 64/128 bit console stage. Unfortunately, these people have been some of the loudest in the gaming world over the past 5 years, and so they will influence those who know no better. I'm just glad I'm not one of them.
Tue 16/01/01 at 22:05
Regular
Remember Crash Bandicoot (the first one) and Mario 64.

Both of them were first class games and games that adults could easily enjoy due to great gameplay.

But no. It wasn't good enough for the gaming public.

Just because the characters were cute and cartoony, just because the games didn't have red certificate, people suddenly thought that they were "little kids" games for 5 year old (some idiots still do!) and neglected tham for "adult" games.

As a result, every platform game released afterwards was aimed at little kids.

Much of the tough platform gaiming was lost in these latter titles. Platforming was replaced with simplistic childrens puzzels and the difficulty of the games dropped.

Crash 2 and 3 just weren't the solid platform games their predecessor was.

DK64 was a great adventure game but didn't have much platforming in it. Instead it had simplistic mini games which were still fun but not the brilliant challenging platforming game it should have been.

I would say that you've all ruined platform games but that's not quite true.

Mario 128 will feature all the best features of 3d platforming and the grown up challenge. And this time round Mario won't be so cutesy so even gamers who think that they are too "grown up" for "kids games" won't be put off.

The platform game.
Created (well not quite), moderned and saved by the Nintendo geniuses!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.