GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future For The N64"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/01/01 at 15:29
Regular
I am writing about the future of the N64. Many people are saying that now the PX2 has come out and when the Dolphin comes
out,the N64 will be the 'Forgotton Console' as it were.
And, as far as I'm concerned that is absolute crap. The N64 WILL be the last generation console, but there are two things
which will keep it afloat in the primordial soup of the gaming world. Those 2 things are: The fact that will be cheaper than both
the PSX2 and the Dolphin. Alot of people won't be able to afford the hefty price tag that will be stamped on the two next generation
consoles. According to my mate, The PSX2's price is somewhere in the region of £350, and according to the official
Nintendo Magazine(which I was reading round a friend of mines house) the Dolphin will cost upwards of 400 quid. Now, unless
people actually WANT the PSX2 they are gonna have to have been putting aside quite a bit of money to be able to afford it, and
thats the console without the games themselves.
The second thing is the real reason why the N64 was so succesful in the first place. And is also the point of games and game
consoles themselves, playability. Consoles were invented to play and have FUN weren't they? the Playstations games are, lets
face it, a pile of rubbish bar one or two of them. The N64's games are (mostly) of a high standard, and a few absolutly superb
games. 'The Battle Of The Consoles' as it's now known. Has been blown out of proportion. The makers are now fighting with
graphics instead of gameplay, which does not bode well for the future of gaming. The N64 has gameplay and graphics in equal
proportions. Which is why it IS such a great console. There is a lesson that game makers will have to learn. the lesson is this:
Gamplay rules, graphics HELP, notice that HELP in there? they aren't vital but they add a nice touch. Makers can learn this
lesson the easy way or the hard way.
So in conclusion, I'd say that the N64 has alot of life left in it yet and if Nintendo are lucky and they keep producing games for
the N64 ASWELL as the Dolphin they will (succesfully) have two consoles out at the same time. As you'll agree, quite a
difficult feat, but a worthwhile one.

Other peoples thoughts on this?
Wed 17/01/01 at 22:54
Regular
The N64 is dying and about time too.

Now we can get all these classy games for cheap because the shops are trying to get rid of them.

Worms Armaggedon for £10 at EB!

Wehey!
Wed 17/01/01 at 22:50
Regular
has anyone got wetrix? now that was a bargain.
Wed 17/01/01 at 22:49
Regular
n64 is being killed in all the shops in my area. i walked into my local GAME store and they had this tiny rack with about 6 different 64 games. i walk into EB and all they have is zelda and pokemon snap. Its a damn shame. still, cant wait for conker and banjo.
Wed 17/01/01 at 19:43
Definetly, im gonna keep my N64 even after the gamecubes released theres so many cheap good games around, like your example roadsters, by the way is that game any good cause im probably gonna get it tommorrow for a tenner, theres also games like hydro thunder not one of the biggest N64 games but its a damn good game for a tenner. Everyone keep the N64 alive.
Wed 17/01/01 at 16:36
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I think the N64 will go on a while after the GAMECUBE is released. Now don't get me worng, people won't put it in glass cabinets but, I think a select few will continue to play it!

This has happened with the SNES some people say I love my SNES i still play it etc. but the thing it, they probably treasure their PS2 just a bit more.

I hink that future of the N64 lies onn what has already happened. I picked up 'Roadstes' for my brother's B'day for about £10. The game is ace, 4 different modes of play....(all that is nedded really!)...30 cars...not 10 or 15 but 30...fast....good looking cars. The gameplay is ace and everything an arcade/amusements racer should offer.....£10 remember.

I think that people should look back at the games they missed. I for one want to go back to Mario Golf, Pokemon Snap (Maybe) and Operation Windback...All the games you missed will keep you going until the GAMECUBE comes....and the prices are cheap folks....Think About IT!!!!!!!!!!!

The Game

PS: Keep Thinking!!!
Tue 16/01/01 at 15:29
Regular
I am writing about the future of the N64. Many people are saying that now the PX2 has come out and when the Dolphin comes
out,the N64 will be the 'Forgotton Console' as it were.
And, as far as I'm concerned that is absolute crap. The N64 WILL be the last generation console, but there are two things
which will keep it afloat in the primordial soup of the gaming world. Those 2 things are: The fact that will be cheaper than both
the PSX2 and the Dolphin. Alot of people won't be able to afford the hefty price tag that will be stamped on the two next generation
consoles. According to my mate, The PSX2's price is somewhere in the region of £350, and according to the official
Nintendo Magazine(which I was reading round a friend of mines house) the Dolphin will cost upwards of 400 quid. Now, unless
people actually WANT the PSX2 they are gonna have to have been putting aside quite a bit of money to be able to afford it, and
thats the console without the games themselves.
The second thing is the real reason why the N64 was so succesful in the first place. And is also the point of games and game
consoles themselves, playability. Consoles were invented to play and have FUN weren't they? the Playstations games are, lets
face it, a pile of rubbish bar one or two of them. The N64's games are (mostly) of a high standard, and a few absolutly superb
games. 'The Battle Of The Consoles' as it's now known. Has been blown out of proportion. The makers are now fighting with
graphics instead of gameplay, which does not bode well for the future of gaming. The N64 has gameplay and graphics in equal
proportions. Which is why it IS such a great console. There is a lesson that game makers will have to learn. the lesson is this:
Gamplay rules, graphics HELP, notice that HELP in there? they aren't vital but they add a nice touch. Makers can learn this
lesson the easy way or the hard way.
So in conclusion, I'd say that the N64 has alot of life left in it yet and if Nintendo are lucky and they keep producing games for
the N64 ASWELL as the Dolphin they will (succesfully) have two consoles out at the same time. As you'll agree, quite a
difficult feat, but a worthwhile one.

Other peoples thoughts on this?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.