GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Games Student Writes:"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/01/01 at 00:37
Regular
The future of games is right here now on your screen. It's the Internet. With faster connections meaning lower ping, games like Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament have been made possible. And they're bloody good fun too.
Here at Salford Uni we have a course called Computer and Video games, which I'm studying. We ask what the future is a lot, and this is the answer.
2 distinct types of game are favoured, the first increasingly large internet games, like Quake 3, Outtrigger (Dreamcast) and such like, and another catgory: Story driven games, like Final Fantasy, Deus Ex types, but more so.
Fortunately, some developers are imaginative (SEGA) and some companies excel in existing genres (Rare) so we'll be kept happy.
Of course, there will always be sports games and driving games, which don't change much, but some are good.

Oh, and PS2 really sucks.
Save your money and time and go buy a Dreamcast. There's better games with a wider range, it's a lot cheaper and you can get a DECENT DVD player with your spare cash. Plus when Bleemcast! finally sees the light of day you'll be able to play your Playstation (One) games on your Dreamcast, with improved graphics!

As for what games to spend your hard earned on.
Well, some other time perhaps.
Tue 16/01/01 at 15:38
Regular
If you don't like the PS2 don't say anything about it.
Tue 16/01/01 at 15:14
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
B!g W!lk wrote:

"Oh, and PS2 really sucks.
Save your money and time and go buy a Dreamcast. There's better games with a wider range, it's a lot cheaper and you can get a DECENT DVD player with your spare cash."

Played one, have we?

How much was the DC on release, how many games were available on that great day? Of course it's got a wider range of games, it's been out a long time, the PS2 has been out just over 2 months!

Liked the first bit of your topic though. Only thing is, Internet based gaming is still very expensive over here, and BT just don't seem to like gamers much, do they? Maybe if we all asked AT&T to buy them out.....
Tue 16/01/01 at 11:27
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Deathmatch games & StoryDriven games are already moving away from these games genres... they arnt the games of the future, there the games of now...

Besides, what about Massivly Multiplay On-Line games?

Deux-Ex though story driven is atemping to provide complete freedom within the environment? besides, havnt story driven games been around for a good 15-20 years?

Sports games have moved on a ouch from Daley Thompsons decathlon, and Racing games ar'nt too simlar to Pole Position of Super Sprint...

Mum used to get offended when I used the word "puke." But to me, that's what her dinner tasted like.
Tue 16/01/01 at 10:52
Is Bleemcast the Dreamcast PS1 emulator, Ive seen some screenshots in magazines it looks pretty good! It only improves polygonal PS1 games though, like the PS2...so it should make the RRT4 and the likes look better.
Welcome to the forum B!G W!LK, what does it stand for
BOG WELK ???
BUG WALK ???
Tue 16/01/01 at 06:50
Are you impliying that SEGA will put this function on there DC if so you are wrong sony would take em to the cleaners
Tue 16/01/01 at 00:37
Regular
The future of games is right here now on your screen. It's the Internet. With faster connections meaning lower ping, games like Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament have been made possible. And they're bloody good fun too.
Here at Salford Uni we have a course called Computer and Video games, which I'm studying. We ask what the future is a lot, and this is the answer.
2 distinct types of game are favoured, the first increasingly large internet games, like Quake 3, Outtrigger (Dreamcast) and such like, and another catgory: Story driven games, like Final Fantasy, Deus Ex types, but more so.
Fortunately, some developers are imaginative (SEGA) and some companies excel in existing genres (Rare) so we'll be kept happy.
Of course, there will always be sports games and driving games, which don't change much, but some are good.

Oh, and PS2 really sucks.
Save your money and time and go buy a Dreamcast. There's better games with a wider range, it's a lot cheaper and you can get a DECENT DVD player with your spare cash. Plus when Bleemcast! finally sees the light of day you'll be able to play your Playstation (One) games on your Dreamcast, with improved graphics!

As for what games to spend your hard earned on.
Well, some other time perhaps.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.