GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Half Life - Part 13"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/03/03 at 12:49
Regular
Brian had to employ every ounce of self-control to keep himself from running back to his car at full sprint. On one hand, he had just had the time of his life with a stunningly gorgeous woman, had fulfilled any number of fantasies, and had a memory that would last a lifetime. On the other hand, he had committed the most heinous form of sin against his marriage and his immortal soul, if such a thing existed. He had been presented to temptation, and had folded like winter leaf. The last hour or so was proof, if ever he needed it, that he was a weak excuse for a human being.

But now was not a time for panic. Now was a time for presentation. As he made his way out of Sue’s home in Pennyhill Way, he knew that running away from her would only worsen the situation by causing him to come across as an ungrateful coward. And while he knew that he had to get out of here as soon as physically possible, he was also aware that speeding his way out of the picture while the woman he had just spent the last two hours sharing the most intimate, passionate and not to mention athletic sex with was watching on was a gaucherie of the highest order.

And so, as a final act of appreciation for the beautiful experience she had just given him, he held his restrain and walked slowly back to his car, looking back twice on his way to smile politely and wave. As he got into his car, he felt a cold shiver run right through him. He ignored it, looked one last time to see Sue still stood in the doorway waving at him, waved back and pulled away.

As he drove, he mentally recounted the events of the last few hours. Somewhere along the line, he had thrown away his marriage and probably his life as well. Promises made to last a lifetime had been thrown away at a moment’s notice. He had unexpectedly become the kind of man that women read about in magazines while shaking their heads and tutting. He could walk into a room of women, tell them what he had done, and be greeted in return by universal opprobrium, distrust and possibly even outright hatred. He was an adulterer, and he had become so not because his wife was in any way insufficient, but instead because he had wanted a little sympathy to make himself feel better. Of course, the fact that walking into a room full of men and telling the same story would likely do little more than raise an eyebrow or two and get a few celebratory slaps on the back was irrelevant. The fact remained that what he had done was wrong.

But with this in mind, he found it strange that the feelings of guilt and regret were not currently consuming him like a fiery blaze of righteousness. He currently felt little other than the elation of having had exciting sex with a woman he barely knew. He couldn’t help but grin as he thought about what they had done together. She was just so incredible. A perfect and athletic body, and by damn she knew how to use it.

Brian was just reflecting on a particularly daring sexual exercise, when something caught his eye as he drove past it. He was driving back to his house down an unfamiliar road, as he had never before had cause to be anywhere near Sue’s area. But he recognised the streetsign as if he’s seen it a thousand times before. He pulled the car over, and reversed a little so he could see it again. There it was, exactly as he had seen it before, a large white sign strutting out of the ground on two black wooden legs. And in bold black lettering were the words “Hastings Drive”.
Brian’s heart began to hammer in his chest. He must be dreaming again – must be! The name of this street had come to him as a bizarre vision from his television set after he had already turned it off. That meant that the vision was not real, which in turn meant that he wasn’t parked outside of Hastings Drive now.

Was he?

There was no clear way to tell. The line between reality and fantasy was stretched to breaking point. Maybe his experience with Sue had been nothing more than an incredibly vivid and highly erotic figment of his imagination. It was impossible to tell either way. It all felt real, but then, so had being eaten alive, and being thrown down a hill with nothing but large, fast moving rocks for company.

Right now, he couldn’t take his eyes off the sign. He was praying for his life that it wasn’t real. Because if the sign was real, then the road actually existed, along with house number 35 and it’s inhabitant, a man he knew only as Micky. The man who was sleeping with his wife. The implications were huge. If the sign and the house and the man and the infidelity were all real, what else was real? What did that imply of Marcus, and how could he have known? Brian’s head started to spin, and he could no longer bear to look at the sign, as if by it even being there it was committing some atrocity against his soul.

He had no idea what he was supposed to believe. The air in the car was suddenly stuffy and restrictive. Brian opened the door and got out of the car. He was parked next to a large park-like area, with hills and trees as far as the eye could see. He stumbled away from the road onto the grass and fell to his knees. A thousand possibilities whirling through his heavily confused mind, Brian convulsed and vomited onto the grass.
Tue 04/03/03 at 15:16
"Darkness, always"
Yeah, at least a few months.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:27
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
So another 2 or 3 months then ?

Keep up the same standard of writing - damn good story.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:26
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Insane Bartender wrote:

> I went for ostensible in the end. Plenty of uses for that in the
> current Iraq crisis, I iimgaine...

Ya, nice. Your ostensible goal is to educate the forums then. A commendable idea. :-)
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:26
"Darkness, always"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> current Iraq crisis, I iimgaine...

Holy crap, I need a new set of fingers...
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:25
"Darkness, always"
Flanders wrote:
> How long do you think it will take to finish then IB ?

I recently quoted someone "in excess of 50,000 words".

It's currently a few shy of 17,000, but I'm writing it more regularly recently.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:24
"Darkness, always"
I know that now. I looked it upo as soon as I realised I had forgotten it's meaning.

The less said about this the better.

I went for ostensible in the end. Plenty of uses for that in the current Iraq crisis, I iimgaine...
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:23
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
More Half Life eh ?

How long do you think it will take to finish then IB ?

I've taken to printing them and reading en bloc now so that I can keep up with the story a little better so I will wait for the next amalgamated post before I delve further into brian's life.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:18
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Milieu is an environment.
I know assimilate is a tad easy, but you'd be surprised how ignorant a lot of people are.
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:15
"Darkness, always"
Anyone who's ever watched star trek knows assimilate, but even I forget the meaning of milieu.

How embarrassing...
Tue 04/03/03 at 14:13
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Something lighter?

How about assimilate or milieu?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.