GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are consolegames too expensive and can their price be justified??? What do you think???"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/01/01 at 12:18
Regular
Today I ask another question that needs to be asked:

Are consolegames too expensive and can their price be justified??? What do you think???

I remember the good old days of my Commodore64, I'd shell out the cash for a game every week or too, back then it only cost £2.99 for a game on budget, and people rarely brought the highly priced newest games (£10), although I admit I brought one…Golden Axe… a cracking game from Sega. Even then games were starting to get pricey, with NES games being the most expensive. Myself I moved quickly from the C64 to a Commodore Amiga, games on this system could cost up to £30, but then the games came on DoubleSidedDoubleDensity Floppy Disks an expensive medium which loaded a lot quicker than a C64 Cassette tape. However it wasn't till the advent of the Sega Megadrive and SuperNintendo that prices rocketed. When Capcoms Streetfighter II game came out on the SNES people were paying up to £80 for it (More for the faster imported US version). Ofcourse Streetfighter II was one of the best games available at the time, it was also on a cartridge and so had no loading time… in terms of hours of fun this game certainly made up for its price. I still remember when the import version was on display at the local shop - which became jam packed with kids wanting to play this virtually arcade perfect conversion for free.
The price could then be partly justified by the media - Cartridges, much as the cost of PerfectDark on the N64 can be justified today! However with the latest machines (PS1, PS2, Dreamcast) using the cheap Compact Disc media can the price of the games on these systems be justified. Should we pay up to £40 for the latest games???? What do you think????
Sun 30/11/08 at 20:43
"The Boss Lady"
'The Power of Potatoes: Gleaning Haptic Imagery' (2008)

Montage Film Reviews freelancer Jessica Mulvogue BA MA has written a review of the film 'The Gleaners and I' (Les Glaneurs et la glaneuse)' 2000; in which she looks closely at haptic imagery in Agnes Varda’s 'The Gleaners and I', in particular, images of potatoes, to show how the camera’s tactile approach to these objects renders them powerful and poignant insofar as the socio-political concerns of the film.

To read the review see here
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:44
oh - and m.farras (if u r there) - how long u been on? i dont remember farras or m. farras.

jake
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:43
oh
hehe
thought u might be
hi
didnt talk 2 u much back then
u remember me though, right?
right??
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:41
Regular
elitesnipe_beta,
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:40
maybe im just really thick, but i still cant figure it out.

jake
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:31
Regular
SNIPER wrote:
> > Ant, Grix, Matt and elitesnipe_beta, but its all new stuff to
> me.
Dum di dum
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:19
Regular
Hum Hum Do?
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:16
Regular
"I like cheese"
Doo de doo??
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:12
Regular
> Ant, Grix, Matt and elitesnipe_beta, but its all new stuff to me.
Dum di dum
Mon 15/01/01 at 19:12
Regular
"I like cheese"
Hi again, Jake.

Remember the N64 topic on the N64 forum?? Me and you vs the Nintendo forum.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.