GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My Essay - I'll get thrown of the course for this."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/03/03 at 19:49
Regular
This essay 'The Problem of Other Minds' was meant to be in in January. However I avoided handing it in and now I have had the phonecalls and threats its time I did it. Keith is the main philosophy lecturer and Angela is the other one I have. Enjoy. I'll hand this in and probably get thrown. I don't care. Stupid idiots that they are.

The problem of other minds arises from ideas by Descartes as to mental states of private nature. That is, that all the states of mind we are able to experience are totally private to us, and although another could observe our physical output, they could never know our mental states which aren't public. If this view is taken, how do we ever know about the minds of other people, or know if any minds exist apart from our own? How do I know what is happening in your mind if I can only ever access it from a third person perspective?

A simple way of answering this problem is that what we observe in other people is the mental state of that person, the behaviours we see are the mental states. It does seem like a very simple conclusion to the question,
what is does is take that mental states are no more than behaviour patterns.

We are human and we should except the fact that we can't know everything, we aren't built to do everything, and everytime we try to argue a topic about something of this magnitude we fail. I choose philosophy as a subject because I believed that I would be able to place forward my argument against great philosophers from the past, I would be able to argue my moral opinion in the hope to obtain more knowledge about subjects which I am not to clear on. Instead, its been about learning other peoples opinions or reading from a book every lesson where philosophers either form an argument which doesn't actually get them anywhere and they always end up in some pathetic vicious infinite regress. And you say something about 'Before you can have your own opinion, you should learn about these peoples opinions first'.

Whats that meant to mean? That they are more important? Oh yeah thats right! The dead dude who was gay and lived in a shack because he feared being killed by homophobes. Geeh, I really want to learn his way of life, he is not more important, sure he thought up a bunch of crap and his clever use of language allowed him to win your heart, but not mine. If you want me to start talking random crap I could go on for years, probably ending up in some circle. hey hey! Does that make me a philosopher now?

None of them can accept when they are wrong and I know I can accept when I am wrong and when I have to back down. Up until now I have tried to learn, and indeed I have learnt, Descartes was interesting, but all of the philosophers are just doing the same thing! Pathetically arguing with each other to know result. Philosophy will always live on, because you will never have an answer. In the future, I urge you to sell the subject to future students on what you actually will be doing in the course. Also, references to Star Trek every lesson do not help and as nobody under the age of 20 watches that terrible excuse for an entertainment program anymore its not worth it. If you are going to quote and use references to a program to a class of 17/18 year olds every year why not use The Simpsons? They always have some kinda debate.

I have my opinions, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Infact, a utilitarian would state that if an act is going to produce greater good for a greater number than that act should be carried out. This essay will probably upset you the reader, however the couple of phone calls home to my mum have really got to me. If you have something to say, why not call me into class or talk to me during lesson about it. The reason I didn't hand this essay in on time was that I didn't do it due to other commitments, and then when I went to start the essay I couldn't do it because I was just couldn't bring myself to type about something so painfully frustrating. Got damn. Why can't philosophers just accept we are human and we live, we shouldn't look for answers about how are mental states work, we should enjoy the time we have. What was going to happen anyway? You were going to mark it, and then give me a grade back and probably say to me 'You can do better', like you always do! What do you
mean? I can't do better on that handin because thats what I have been taught.

Hold on though, don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the challenge of you always looking over to me to have my own opinion. I enjoyed being singled out by Angela and being made the class fool for a piece of work I had actually done when 40% of the rest of the class hadn't done. Infact. I enjoyed being called a 'piece of grit' by you in a lesson a while back. That was real fun. How about this? Next time you don't listen to my opinion or actually respect anything I say. I start standing up and getting all defensive back. Two weeks ago you laughed at me because I had my own opnion. Would you like it if I stood and laughed at you? You wouldn't expect that though would you? I am not to happy with myself in life as it is, I don't like to be reminded I am the different one every lesson by someone that barely knows me.

My opinion of the problem of other minds?

Its a problem which will never be answered. Nobody can remove the sceptical gap that remains. Its true we can never know what somebody is thinking inside. Yet we can assume a lot from personal experience. I can fake being happy. I can fake being in pain. The problem of other minds is that there are other minds in the first place.

The biggest fall of this pathetic race is communication. When we developed communication we all placed a hex on one another. Then through this communcation we developed religions. Religion is the reason we don't have peace.

Communication is the reason we have religion.

I am not saying I want to change the past or even who you or I am. I really want to pass this philosophy course and I will do my upmost best to do that. However, I don't miss lessons as you told my mum. I am mostly always there and when I do its for a LEGITIMATE reason. Even if thats 'I don't feel like it, I would be useless'. Which is apparently what I am anyways.

So here is my essay. Its not what you wanted. But its an essay. Also, I did start with the problems with other minds and give my own opinion. So I can't have failed it.

See you in class. Its a challenge teaching me I know. However, for me, its a challenge sitting their and not being able to voice my opinion as you don't listen and always ask your 'class' favorites.

Keith, its not war. Its me.
Fri 02/05/03 at 12:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
Philosophy is all about the external world and whether it exists or not.

No matter what you say, there is an argument against it. Yes and No.

Sucks.
Fri 02/05/03 at 12:35
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Yep, the Monk in Bulletproof Monk is a carbon copy of The Sphinx from Mystery Men, although the people who made Bulletproof Monk obviously have never seen it and don't realise how ridiculously cruddy their movie was.

"If you believe the laws of gravity don't exist... then they don't."

That easy, huh? Wow, being a monk must be cool! No sex and you get shot at all day! Sign me up, Chow!
Fri 02/05/03 at 12:24
Regular
"Not your monkey"
That reminds me of mystery men.

Quite enjoyed that film actually. Dont think I'll bother with BP monk though.
Fri 02/05/03 at 01:00
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I learned all the philosophy I needed from the movie 'Bulletproof Monk'.

"If you want to master your rage, you cannot let rage become your master"
"If you want to be beautiful on the outside, first you must find inner beauty."
"To go left, you must go right."

Or something.
Thu 01/05/03 at 23:16
Regular
"Laughingstock"
The way I look at philosophy and philosophers is this:

It's a subject which is paved with serious intentions to unearth the correct way to look at things - the correct way to think - it IS the pursuit of wisdom, but all the great philsophers have done is nothing else but partake in a super-intellectual experiment which has resulted in most philsophers concluding that the only way to think [in philosophical terms] is on a nihilistic level.

~He who thinks seriously and deeply must, in the end, admit to himself that he knows nothing.~

So for me, philosophy is a subject which results in those who study it being plagued with honest doubt. The history of philosophy is a history of dynamic folly, but it should also be said that ultimately we do learn much much more from dynamic folly than we do from safe wisdom.

Hence, philosophy is important.

*Head falls off*
Tue 29/04/03 at 23:25
Regular
I blame Edgy for this...

Don't come a knockin...
Tue 29/04/03 at 23:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
Excellent post twisted ninja! :D
Tue 29/04/03 at 22:19
"slightlyshortertagl"
The mind of the twisted ninja never ceases to amaze
Tue 29/04/03 at 22:10
Regular
"Twisted Ninja"
By the way... a brilliant essay in my view! i share many of your ideas, and also dislike the patronising way in which teachers look down on students because of an innate beliefe that they are mentally superior to you. this however in my view does not mean that there is a problem with other peoples minds, just certain other peoples minds. I also agree with the free-speach issue and agree that you should not be quashed and looked down on for having different beliefs, its a personal infringement of rights in my view also... who ever became famous as a great thinker for being a sheep??
...A contemplating man
Tue 29/04/03 at 21:51
Regular
"Twisted Ninja"
hmmm solipsism... interesting. Almost psychopathic lack of empathy tho in the way its written.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.