GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Define "classic"..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/01/01 at 19:57
Regular
Seeing Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits games appearing on both Dreamcast and N64 inspired me with the hope of an impending surge of great classic re-releases.

Then I saw their line-up. Maybe I'm too young, maybe if these had been the best available when I began playing I would look back on them the way I do some others, but I've played a couple of these a long time ago, and seen screen shots and/or footage of most of them, and I can tell you without doubt that to me games likeJoust, Robotron, Sinstar and Spy Hunter are not "classics". Perhaps Paperboy and Marble Madness could be accepted slightly more readily, but to me, even these are not classics, just old.

To me, the line-up of a classics compilation would go something like this;

Sensible Soccer
Streets of Rage
Spy vs Spy (master system, great gameplay)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Bubble Bobble
Mega-lo-mania
PGA Tour

Opinions? Is any of this a little before your time? Maybe my list to you is like Midway's offering seems to me? So could there ever be a classics title to appeal to more than a small age group?

What would you have in your classics compilation?

Great gameplay - is that the games equivalent of saying a girl with a face like a slapped... an ugly girl has a 'nice personality', and is there anything wrong with liking that ugly girl if the personality really is good enough (metaphore)?
Fri 16/02/01 at 09:58
The classics on the collection are for older gamers that remember them.

I prefer youre classic line up, but maybe thats because I remember those games and not the others.
Sun 14/01/01 at 12:47
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Dr. Duck wrote:
"It's like saying I don't consider Casablanca a classic because I didn't see it."

Shanks Wrote :
"Which equally, doesnt mean its not a classic. It may not be a personal classic, even if you watched the film you may think it was rubbish, but that doesnt stop the consensus of the masses thinking otherwise?!?!"

Dr. Duck wrote:
"What's your point now? Why does that hack anyone off?"

Dr. Duck wrote:
"Great gameplay - is that the games equivalent of saying a girl with a face like a slapped... an ugly girl has a 'nice personality', and is there anything wrong with liking that ugly girl if the personality really is good enough (metaphore)?"

Shanks worte :
"I was trying to say that it not a choice between good looking games or games with great gameplay... you can have graphics & gameplay in a game with both... which companies never seem to give us (provideing either graphics or gameplay)... we can have, and should expect an 'attractive girl with a good personality'" :)

Dr. Duck wrote:
"Can I go now?"

Shanks wrote :
"No, not until you finish all your greens!... teach you to have an independant thought!" :)
Sun 14/01/01 at 00:42
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:
"Isnt that like saying that 'Casablanca' isnt a classic because it was made before you were born?"

Dr. Duck wrote:
"It's like saying I don't consider Casablanca a classic because I didn't see it."

Armatige Shanks wrote:
"Claasic games from what I can gather a games that either created a new genre (populous), had an enourmous cult following (Elite), changed peoples perception of video games (civ) or were just increadably fun (Spy Hunter, Skool Daze)... although theres probably a better desciption?"

The Dictionary wrote:
"classic adj. .... of lasting significance because of excellence..."

Armatige Shanks wrote:
"You can have great graphics and great gameplay... I think this is what hacks most people off..."

Dr. Duck wrote:
"What's your point now? Why does that hack anyone off? Can I go now?"
Sat 13/01/01 at 14:11
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Isnt that like saying that 'Casablanca' isnt a classic because it was made before you were born?

(Spy Vs Spy was a remake of the C64 original from '84, PaperBoy original arcade & converstion from around '87)

Claasic games from what I can gather a games that either created a new genre (populous), had an enourmous cult following (Elite), changed peoples perception of video games (civ) or were just increadably fun (Spy Hunter, Skool Daze)... although theres probably a better desciption?

You can have great graphics and great gameplay... I think this is what hacks most people off...
Fri 12/01/01 at 19:57
Regular
Seeing Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits games appearing on both Dreamcast and N64 inspired me with the hope of an impending surge of great classic re-releases.

Then I saw their line-up. Maybe I'm too young, maybe if these had been the best available when I began playing I would look back on them the way I do some others, but I've played a couple of these a long time ago, and seen screen shots and/or footage of most of them, and I can tell you without doubt that to me games likeJoust, Robotron, Sinstar and Spy Hunter are not "classics". Perhaps Paperboy and Marble Madness could be accepted slightly more readily, but to me, even these are not classics, just old.

To me, the line-up of a classics compilation would go something like this;

Sensible Soccer
Streets of Rage
Spy vs Spy (master system, great gameplay)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Bubble Bobble
Mega-lo-mania
PGA Tour

Opinions? Is any of this a little before your time? Maybe my list to you is like Midway's offering seems to me? So could there ever be a classics title to appeal to more than a small age group?

What would you have in your classics compilation?

Great gameplay - is that the games equivalent of saying a girl with a face like a slapped... an ugly girl has a 'nice personality', and is there anything wrong with liking that ugly girl if the personality really is good enough (metaphore)?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.