GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The ultimate fashion accessory of the year…"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 25/02/03 at 12:18
Regular
A ruff.

Yes, thanks to those crazy style gurus who tell us what to wear and how to wear it, the 16th and 17th centuries’ hottest fashion fad, worn by such famous celebrities as William Shakespeare, Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Walter Raleigh and Lord Edmund Blackadder is coming back with a vengeance in 2003.
To those who don’t know, the ruff is a stiffly frilled or pleated circular collar of lace or other fine fabric, which was worn around the neck by men or women in the 16th and 17th centuries. It was the coolest thing to be seen in back then, and it’s hoped that the same kind of ruff craze will develop in the modern age.

One of those mostly responsible for the resurgence of the ruff is style icon David Beckham, who was seen out and about last week sporting a new ‘sporty style’ ruff on his neck. The new look ruff, designed by Adidas, utilises the latest in fabric technology, so it’s not only light and comfortable with minimal chafing, but is also very fashionable and eye catching at the same time, and it is hoped that this particular craze will catch on with the style conscious population, or those who just love ruffs.
Head of Adidas Ruff design Jay Sinclair said, “It’s a 100% fact that whatever David Beckham wears, others follow suit no matter how stupid they look; he wore a dress and consequently so did every other man, he had a Mohawk and so did everyone else, and now he wears an Alice band over his flowing locks, and so does every other man. He appears on TV, and in magazines and newspapers all over the world, so what better style icon than Beckham to start what we here at Adidas are calling the ‘ruff revolution’. We hope that David Beckham will help make ruffs cool again.”
Ruff advocate Cyril Sneed said, “I’m a closet ruff wearer, and I’ve always been too afraid to wear my lovely ruffs outside of the house for fear of being attacked. But now David Beckham is making it acceptable and even fashionable to wear ruffs, so I can hold my head up high and be proud to wear a ruff in public.”

This is not the first time that Elizabethan ruffs have tried to come back into the fashion world. A small group of American gangster rappers called ‘Ruff T’ tried unsuccessfully to bring ruffs back into fashion in the mid-1990’s, with their ill-fated Nike ruffs and their loathsome rap dirge about “home-boys poppin’ a cap in a ruff wearing #*$^~’s a#@”. Alas, their songs were unsuccessful, and their penchant for Nike ruffs failed to tap into the American street kid’s consciousness as ruffs has little appeal when you could wear lots of gold necklaces instead. Nike ended up losing millions of Dollars as the ruff craze they were hoping for failed to materialise.

It is believed that with the advent of commonplace ruff wearing thanks to the influence of Beckham, fashion designers will attempt to bring fashion back to more traditional avenues with the ‘Elizabethan chic’ style, with a traditional old school flavour to fashion.
Designers will have women wearing extravagant floor length skirts and gowns with a fitted bodice and ruffled sleeves. Snood headdresses, types of hairnets, will also be marketed at the style chasers, whilst men will have embroidered jerkins and loose fitting knee-length trousers with tights underneath, and flat velvet or silk hats with a feather on one side to complement the look.

Ruffs will be available in male, female and child sizes and in a variety of styles and colours in most major high street clothing outlets. There’s expected to be a huge demand, with many chains having already sold out with pre-orders, so if you want to keep up with the Beckhams, get out there and get a ruff.
Ruffs are back!
Wed 26/02/03 at 13:56
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I can just imagine kids on the street wearing Burberry ruffs with the rest of their designer get-up. They'd still look threatening, but in a more sophisticated kind of way.

Bring back ruffs.
Tue 25/02/03 at 15:07
"Darth Vader 3442321"
A dog is surely the ultimate fashion accessory: ruff ruff!
Tue 25/02/03 at 14:43
Regular
Why stop at a ruff. I think men should go back to wearing those curly wurly wigs and painting their faces white and placing little black beauty spots on their cheeks and cavalier hats with peacock feathers bristling from one side and smoking long slim pipes and capes and boots with huge buckles and..... perhaps I go too far ;)
Tue 25/02/03 at 14:23
Regular
A 'Ruff'! lol. Funny.
Tue 25/02/03 at 13:33
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ahem...

http://www.pocketmonkey.co.uk/camp_kitty.gif
Tue 25/02/03 at 13:22
Regular
Good post, nice one :-)
Tue 25/02/03 at 12:45
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Nice post.
I think I can remedy my anger issues if I could punch Beckham repeatedly in the face whilst shouting "You're a retard, how dare you earn money"
Tue 25/02/03 at 12:37
Regular
"Brownium Motion"
More than likely. You'd get idiots cutting themselves to emulate him. Or, if anyone wanted it done to them, I'd happily oblige.
Tue 25/02/03 at 12:35
"Darkness, always"
I know, funny thing is, when he got that cut over his eye, people were discussing on the radio whether having two stitches on your face would become a fashion accessory...
Tue 25/02/03 at 12:33
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Thanks ;)

I've been thinking about it for ages, mainly due to the fact that no matter what David Beckham wears, silly people might actually think that the rest of us will follow suit.
So I thought, "what about if Beckham goes out wearing an Adidas ruff? will he be cool? Will people follow suit?"
Strange idea I guess.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.