GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"upgrading ME to XP"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 29/01/03 at 21:32
Regular
Hello there, a quick question to the far more intelligent people.

If I download the XP home upgrade, will all my documents, mp3s and games remain intact or will they be deleted?

sorry for the simple question but I'm stoopid.

Thanks in advance! : )
Sun 09/02/03 at 22:14
"Bothered!"
All files will remain in tact although some games might not run with the new OS. Everything will remain in place though.

Secret_squirrel
Sun 09/02/03 at 18:32
Regular
I dunno if they both are WHQL driver covered by microsoft it may install that driver over the old one.
Sun 09/02/03 at 18:31
Regular
"keep your receipt"
OK in regards to these potential hardware problems, how about I uninstall my printer and scanner and then reinstall them after XP is up? Will that avoid any potential problems?
Sat 08/02/03 at 23:03
Regular
""
I use Norton Ghost for disk imaging and havent had any problems. As you say it literally takes a snapshot of your machine and saves it to cd. To restore the image again you boot using a Norton Ghost boot disk and off it goes.
Sat 08/02/03 at 18:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You use DriveImage if I remember correctly. It just copies your harddrive's entire filesystem then compresses it.
Sat 08/02/03 at 11:42
Regular
"keep your receipt"
how do I take an 'Image', and how do I load it up if the upgrade screws itself?
Tue 04/02/03 at 22:49
Regular
"Acid Casual"
You *can* do an upgrade from 98 to XP... BUT

Image your drive before or at least back up everything that is important.

D/L the latest BIOS for your machine.

Make sure you have the latest intellipoint/stroke software.

Run the diags that come with the XP disk to determine if everything on your machine is XP compatible.

I upgraded to XP Professional a couple of days ago from 98 only to find out that on boot up it completely locked my keyboard and mouse. There was nowt I could do to solve it so I had to rebuild my machine from the image I had taken before.

When I checked on technet it told me there were known *issues* with upgrading.

Good ol' Microsoft. Wnakers.
Tue 04/02/03 at 22:22
And if your ever going to upgrade your graphics card to an nvidia fx or drivers to directx 9 go for a legal copy as they have issues with anything other than a legal service pack 1
Tue 04/02/03 at 22:19
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
mess wrote:
> so why are you telling me this tom? Are you offering your XP to me?

Don't mind me, I'm just showing off.

Basically, it's much easier in the long run to go out and buy XP. You don't always have to pay the full prices quoted in PC World, just shop around.

In answer to your original question - my manual for the full version of XP suggests that you could perform and upgrade if "you want to keep your existing files and personalized settings" so I would imagine that it would keep all your files and just upgrade the OS. However, I'm not completely sure as I haven't tried it.

And I wouldn't trust downloading an OS from Kazaa at all.
Tue 04/02/03 at 16:10
Regular
"keep your receipt"
so why are you telling me this tom? Are you offering your XP to me?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.